Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Cutcliffe
United Kingdom
Paignton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I see that an intercepting aircraft attacking a target one level above has to climb to the level of its target. Does that count against its move, or is that climb an integral part of its attack , in a similar way to how a dive-bomber's rapid descent is part of its bombing attack?

I'm currently playing it that it climbs up 'for free' but it is this loss of airspeed that gives it its -2 modifier for climbing to attack.

Also I have seen a strategy article somewhere, where the writer says that climbing to attack a formation of bombers from the level below renders the attacker immune from the top cover fighters, because they are two levels above. However, this can't be right, surely, as the attacker climbs to the level of the bombers and therefore the top-cover is only one level up from there.... does that sound right?

And finally, the example given in the rulebook for gliding an aircraft says that a single-engine aircraft with its engine out can glide three hexes from 10,000 ft. Now the rule also says that it needs to descend one level for every hex it enters. Surely this means this: start at 10,000 ft, move one hex - descend to 5,000ft, move second hex, descend to ground level. So does ground level therefore count as a full altitude band, i.e. you lose that last 'ground level' band to move that third hex? Most odd....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Davis
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, when you climb to attack somebody, it doesn't subtract from your move, but it subtracts from your performance. When the Luftwaffe fighters are flying top cover, they don't subtract 1 from your performance as they're too high when you're attacking, but they get +1 performance on their attacks when they dive on you during your attack phase...so yes, the climb is part of the attack, thus the loss of performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Queen Carlotta
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
Contre nous de la tyrannie, l’étendard sanglant est levé
mbmbmb
King_Drax_I wrote:

And finally, the example given in the rulebook for gliding an aircraft says that a single-engine aircraft with its engine out can glide three hexes from 10,000 ft. Now the rule also says that it needs to descend one level for every hex it enters. Surely this means this: start at 10,000 ft, move one hex - descend to 5,000ft, move second hex, descend to ground level. So does ground level therefore count as a full altitude band, i.e. you lose that last 'ground level' band to move that third hex? Most odd....

As there's an "Airfield" square below the "Ground level" (which goes up to 1000 ft), you'll have to account for that as well when trying to land. On "Ground level" you haven't touched down yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.