Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may just be me, but this has grated at me for a while as a minor headache/pet peeve.

It'd be nice if reinforcement packs more clearly listed the factions it expands.

The words "Piclo's Magic" (along with pretty much any expansion name) does nothing for me. I know it's supposed to sound cool and help set theme. But as is, I feel I have to research to figure out what factions they expand. The names could be in the pack title. Or even if on the back of the box and bullet point text description (for store pages / bgg pages) listed in (parenthesis). Though I wouldn't reccomend re-printing... just going forward.

For example, this pack says:
Quote:
This reinforcement pack is the perfect addition to your Summoner Wars Master Set, allowing you to bring new troops to the War for Itharia, and experience the excitement of deck construction.

No mention of Benders or Deep Dwarfs. Some (like the Cloaks/Jungle Elves) do list their factions in the description. This is a step in the right direction.

For cards it says:
Quote:
•1 Piclo - Champion
•1 Deep Troll - Champion

Where it would be much improved if it said:
Quote:
•1 Piclo - Champion of the Benders
•1 Deep Troll - Champion of the Deep Dwarfs

So, when I see the existing type of description on a store page, I have to go to BGG. Then I type Summoner Wars into the search, and see a list of all SW games/expansions. And of the reinforcement packs mixed in, none say the factions they expand. So then I click in, and have to use the image gallery to FINALLY tell which factions they expand (assuming they have example card images, which I believe they all eventually do).

That's all. Honestly, this is only a minor inconvenience I just happened to go into thorough detail about.

----

EDIT:
What taylorcowbell said is on the back would be perfect for online descriptions (store, BGG, wherever).
taylorcowbell wrote:

Shadow Elf Units
1 Taliya - Champion
1 Kuldrid - Champion
1 Melek - Champion
5 Blade Masters - Common
5 Hunters - Common

Sand Goblin Units
1 Sand Wyrm - Champion
1 Stink - Champion
1 Tark - Champion
5 Slayers - Common
5 Bombers - Common

Mercenary Units
1 Hulgorad - Champion
5 Bounders - Common

----

EDIT:
As of 3/28/2012, all reinforcement pack descriptions have been formatted to show this information clearly. Hopefully the trend continues as new reinforcement packs are introduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure the back of the box says which factions it reinforces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could, I haven't seen an reinforcement box back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Briel
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
Hey! Look over there! --------->
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it's a bit confusing. I keep a running update in the Comments part of the game entry of my collection.

http://tinyurl.com/swpacks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a valid point. It would be useful for the Faction Pack descriptions to always mention the Factions involved, either in the description, the unit names, or both.

Send a geekmail to Colby; I'm sure he likes to get feedback like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Kowbel
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The back of the Boxes do say the faction, they go as thus:

(Taliya's Spirit)

Shadow Elf Units
1 Taliya - Champion
1 Kuldrid - Champion
1 Melek - Champion
5 Blade Masters - Common
5 Hunters - Common

Sand Goblin Units
1 Sand Wyrm - Champion
1 Stink - Champion
1 Tark - Champion
5 Slayers - Common
5 Bombers - Common

Mercenary Units
1 Hulgorad - Champion
5 Bounders - Common
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's EXACTLY what I wish the descriptions said for bgg and for stores (I assume both get them from the manufacturer or game designer).

Be nice if the titles indicated. But that "back of box" treatment for online descriptions would be good enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys know this is a wiki, right? Anyone can edit it. I went ahead and listed the factions in the TS and PM's descriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blush O I C
oops

1) Honestly I assumed you could only edit the base game page if you were the page creator or an admin. This new found power may be dangerous in my hands! Mwa ha ha!

2) I didn't know which troops were for which faction. THANKS A TON FOR DOING THIS Jexik!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:
You guys know this is a wiki, right? Anyone can edit it. I went ahead and listed the factions in the TS and PM's descriptions.

That's great for BGG, but the problem persists elsewhere. For example, the page at the PHG store does not actually say what factions are being reinforced for Piclo's Magic. And retailers who use the same copy, such as FunAgain.com, perpetuate that omission, leaving people like Moosey in the dark. That's why I think it's a good idea to make sure all source copy does include the factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think stores copy from the games official home page (or publishers web page), or they copy from BGG. I wouldn't say there's any real hope in getting all the stores to update. But if Plaid Hat Games updated their site, and went with the method going forward, then the stores would be good for future products.

EX: Plaid Hat not-so-descriptive-description:
http://www.plaidhatgames.com/product15.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jexik wrote:

Did some research and edited the other reinforcement packs (GC, RP, GB, and HS) to match Jexik's formatting (some of these had the information in a harder to read format, others I had to use the photo gallery to tell which cards went with which faction. Oh well, it will be much easier to tell now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.