Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

It is my pleasure to announce the 5th Annual Wellycon, The Nations Largest Board Game Convention from June 2nd - June 3rd, 2012. Wellycon 2012 is your chance to play new games, perhaps games you have been dying to try. It is your chance to put faces to names that you have heard of from BGG and a chance to connect with your gaming buddies from all over the country. There is something very special about connecting with people from the community, even if it is only once or twice a year, and this is the place to do it. Last year there were more than 150 of these friendly faces and we are expecting many more this year.

Thanks to the Queen and her symbolic birthday this is a long weekend and is ideal for the 24 hours of gaming we have planned over the weekend. Wellycon is dedicated exclusively to playing board games, but you can expect a vendors stall and for the first time the opportunity to buy and sell second hand games. Most gaming is social but you can expect a Tichu tournament on Saturday and other sponsored events through the weekend. These events include an industry panel of designers, publishers and distributors, and our annual saturday evening 'gameshow', a must for all wellycon fans.

Last years venue classey comfortable venue turned out to be a big step up, and despite costs escalating through the roof we will returning to our comfortable abode on the edge of the central city at Massey University.

Student Services Trust Building
Level 2
Tasman Street Entrance F
Massey University
Wellington

We will be kicking off at 10am each day and running through to approximately 10pm both nights. We have a variable price scale ranging from "this ought to be illegal (if this is your first con) to just plain old "scandelously good value" for a single day. Families are welcome but children under 15 need to be accompanied by an adult. Unfortunately there won't be any specific family session this year, but this won't stop many families getting out to enjoy new games at the con.

Single day newbie pass $5
Single day adult pass $10
Single day child pass $5
Single day family pass $25
Single session pass * $5

Weekend newbie pass $10
Weekend adult pass $15
Weekend child pass $10
Weekend family pass $45

* less than 2 hours

Registration will open closer to the time (subscribe to this thread and we will announce it here) so be on the look out to secure your place. Can I also suggest you follow us on facebook for game related commentry and con updates.

I trust I haven't missed any details, but feel free to contact wellycon@gmail.com. I hope you are as excited as I am for this 5th annual weekend of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
July 5th Miramar -Be There!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the new emblem for 2012. The cost increase is fine for me, and I hope it's not an issue for anyone else.

See you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Exciting! thumbsup I'll be there if I can make it - technically supposed to be saving up for the trip to a little place called Essen in October (/gloat ) but hoping to make Wellycon if I can wrangle things. *fingers crossed*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anaise and I will hopefully be coming down. I'll try and persuade some more Auckland gamers to make the journey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan McAlpine
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
a good game!
badge
a good game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I will definitely be there. I found out about this on the day last year and already had plans but not this time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Registration is up now at wellycon2012@gmail.com. Please provide your town, the previous cons you have attended and the number and the details of any of those coming with you. If you'd like to volunteer just add that on the end and someone will be in touch with you soon.

Regards
Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wellycon Administrator
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pumped about the event, we have some special stuff planned to make this a step up from last year. Only 8 weeks to go. See you there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
We're really excited to be partnering with Wellycon yet again! It'll be the 4th year running that we've had some kind of presence at the event, and we're really looking forward to offering games at internet prices for attendees.

But above all, we can't wait to get into the gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Very tempted to come down for it, though it is the opposite end of the island for me (10 hour drive each way)...

Someone want to tell me what I could expect at something like this? I've never been to any kind of convention before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The appeal of Wellycon (for me anyway) is the simplicity of it - turn up, play games So expect a room full of tables, friendly people and a big pile of games to choose from. Lots of people willing to teach games so you can try them out, lots of people happy to include you in whatever they're playing so hardly any downtime between games. It's great - come!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Jo. Yeah, I'm thinking I'd like to make it...
So are people all bringing their owns games, or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a big games library that the organisers bring so it's fine to turn up with just yourself and there'll be plenty to keep you amused. Some people do bring their own to add to it, especially if they've got something unusual that others would like to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jowolf wrote:
The appeal of Wellycon (for me anyway) is the simplicity of it - turn up, play games So expect a room full of tables, friendly people and a big pile of games to choose from. Lots of people willing to teach games so you can try them out, lots of people happy to include you in whatever they're playing so hardly any downtime between games. It's great - come!

Just curious - what's the complicated version like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
Jowolf wrote:

Just curious - what's the complicated version like?

- Queue for 2-3 hours to get in (BGG Con)
- Book in for games or purchase tickets to fill in the spaces of people that don't turn up to play their games (Origins)
- Need an exclusive invitation from industry insiders just to get in the door (Gathering of Friends)
- Purchase Ribbons to allow you access before you can even see games, and then trade in your name badge to the officials to check out games to play ( Gencon)

Who needs the big US conventions when we have Wellycon! But I may be biased ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Grange
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacjames wrote:
Very tempted to come down for it, though it is the opposite end of the island for me (10 hour drive each way)...

Flights = ~$70 each way. Actually cheaper than petrol (unless you're carpooling)

:-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheree Garratt
New Zealand
Te Awamutu
Waipa District
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vIQleS wrote:
isaacjames wrote:

Flights = ~$70 each way. Actually cheaper than petrol (unless you're carpooling)

Unless you have a Prius like me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sheree - You have to talk Mike into having at least 1 day at Wellycon this time, he needs a break and it may be his last big day or 2 out before the baby arrives.

Gordon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm stoked to announce that Pixel Park have generously offered to supply plunder for the prize table. If you recall, the value of last years prizes exceeded the cost of entry and more than 40 people took home something. Now I wouldn't anticipate such great odds again this year, a man can only do so much after all, but the prize table added a real thrill to the convention and we are thrilled that it will be back again this year.

Thanks Pixel Park, you guys are the very best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Given the odds last year, I would hope that we score loot this year lol.

I may have something to contribute to that pile if it arrives off the press and here from USA in time. Maybe even offer a competition.

Again this year there will be probably 10 or so from our Kapiti group coming, plus I assume some others outside our group.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cry

(kids keeping me at home that weekend)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Change your home address that weekend to the convention

G

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
vIQleS wrote:
isaacjames wrote:

Yep, flights could definitely be the way to go, except my inlaws are down near Otaki anyway, so is a good excuse for my family to come with me and visit them. I'll look into finding somewhere to stay in Wellington on the Saturday night so I don't have the extra commute.

Am looking forward to it now, first thing like this I will ever have gone to!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It is a great weekend, worth taking time off work, scraping up travel expenses and driving/flying to get there.

It may be a fraction of the size of those US conventions, yet it makes up for that with good hospitality, a very diverse crowd, and lots of spontaneity which means there is always something happening if you just say 'yes'. Failing that I have seen Andrew round up some gamers and get shy newbies started. After that you have lots of choices and I recommend cramming in lots of diversity, new games old games, favorites and unknowns. Lots of people to teach and coach, you can be alone only by trying really hard not to have a good time.

Look forward to meeting you Zak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone suggest a good motel for 2 adults and 2 primary school kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Moore
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought you were staying home?!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.