$10.00
Recommend
28 
 Thumb up
 Hide
169 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Wellycon 2012 - Back bigger and better than before rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean Adam
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaj wrote:
Always Red wrote:
I think I might go with http://www.richmondguesthouse.co.nz/.

Anyone know much about them?

Also any requests for games to bring down? Although I probably don't want to bring down too much as I'll need room to bring new games back ;P


Would love to play Nefarious (Brad/Moonglow and Takenoko (Moonglow ) if possible.


Can do - prob easier than Red can - Red, I was interested in trying Nightfall if you were interested in teaching a game...Though I see Death and Taxis has a copy locally. Eclipse could be cool too, and it doesn't look like many people have that down here (just going of the Guild collection list).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone interested in a list of some of the less common games I could get to Wellycon?

I'm thinking here of a range of games like Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game, Friedrich, Sator Arepo Tenet Opera Rotas, and Witch of Salem
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wellycon 2012 - My Dance Card...anyone want to dance? :)
Hi, don't know it this idea will work or not - might be a bit too structured for most people - but thought I'd make a list of the games I was keen to play. If you're interested in one then put your name under it and what days you think you'll be around for.

I appreciate that it'll need to be a little flexible, but thought it was worth a crack - I found at WaitangiCon I spent a bit of time awkwardly hanging around watching more than playing. I know a few more people this year so feel a bit more comfortable, but do like the idea of getting some games going with a specific focus (like a learning game or a game for experienced players).

My Dance Card http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/141876/my-wellycon-201...

EDIT: I've updated the list to allow others to add games if they want to organise something additional.

A bit closer to the event I'll ask all subscribers to PM me their mobile numbers and will then PM those to the organisers/coordinators of other
games. If people don't want their cell numbers bandied about, then ummm don't send them to me

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
With my blog I have started a short series on my experiences on Wellycon and why you should come, that is if you were somehow not convinced already.

Click here to go see.


G
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't heard then there will be an industry panel on Saturday night, 7pm. We have dug out Peter Gifford (Artist of Tales of an Arabian Night and more), Minty Hunter (Publisher Five Men Atanding, Topple Tree and more), retailer David Taylor (Seriously Board) and Designer Jarratt Gray (Endeavor) to answer your questions. Think up some curly ones and bring them on the night.

And I'm putting a stake in the ground regarding games I'm playing over the con.

My play list
Troyes
Innovation
The Castles of Burgandy
Dominant Species
Hansa Tuetonica

My learn list
Power Grid First Sparks
Road to Canterbury
Alien Frontiers
Mage Knight
Airlines Europe

My 'If I happen to fall over a game of this I won't be unhappy at all list'
King of Tokyo
Macao or
Homesteaders

You may think I am dreaming to get all those games played but as the inspirational quote that pops up on my computer has just told me, "'I can't' has never acheieved anything. 'I will try' has achieved miracles."

I will try.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
vIQleS wrote:
isaacjames wrote:
Very tempted to come down for it, though it is the opposite end of the island for me (10 hour drive each way)...


Flights = ~$70 each way. Actually cheaper than petrol (unless you're carpooling)

:-D


Sadly, as of today, the only $70ish flights from AKL are at 12:30 pm Friday or 8pm Sat. Everything else is into the well over $150 or more like $200+ one way range which prices me out at the moment. When last I was looking at attending I wasn't actually free to do so. Now that I find myself more or less free a eight hour drive late Friday or wickedly early Saturday doesn't sound like much fun. :( While I may be a complete stranger to you all, looks like you're going to miss out on my awesome company and my incredible ability to (unintentionally) make other people win games. Hope you all have loads of fun and spare a kind thought for us poor unfortunates.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Noble
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - I was just checking Jetstar and they still have flights down for about 119 and back up for 69 on Sunday afternoon.. So there seem to be options of you want to go with Jetstar.

I could probably put you up if you need a place to stay, as well as pick up up and drop off from the airport.

Peter
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
July 5th Miramar -Be There!
mbmbmbmbmb
See me for Alien Frontiers, Andy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anaise and I are flying jetstar as it is the cheapest option plus we got a good deal with Wotif.com on accommodation.
It's a little expensive all up but totally worth it to spend time in the company of some great people in the best little city in the country.

Can't wait.




3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
July 5th Miramar -Be There!
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, some of the volunteers for Wellycon had a get together at Ceedee's place on Saturday to sort out our schedule and play a few games for beginners and families. After playing Transeuropa and Alhambra there I went on to play Vinhos and Navagador with David, Jacob and Olivia. A great day's gaming!

Look for the volunteers wearing Green tops and lanyards throughout Wellycon.

My games in the library are marked with blue stick-on stars inside the lids. So feel free to ask me how to play one of those games if you find one you like at Wellycon.

See you in less than 2 weeks. Cheers!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have finally confirmed that I will be there again this year, so see you all there! thumbsup
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kes W
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Hi all

Just letting people know there is a carpool travelling from Hamilton to Wellington (leaving Fri 1.6.12, 8am, returning sometime Mon 4.6.12), that has two free seats. Petrol estimate is approximately $65 for the whole trip.

Any takers please let me know.

Thanks
Kes
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
Hi, don't know it this idea will work or not - might be a bit too structured for most people - but thought I'd make a list of the games I was keen to play. If you're interested in one then put your name under it and what days you think you'll be around for.

I appreciate that it'll need to be a little flexible, but thought it was worth a crack - I found at WaitangiCon I spent a bit of time awkwardly hanging around watching more than playing. I know a few more people this year so feel a bit more comfortable, but do like the idea of getting some games going with a specific focus (like a learning game or a game for experienced players).

My Dance Card http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/141876/my-wellycon-201...

EDIT: I've updated the list to allow others to add games if they want to organise something additional.

A bit closer to the event I'll ask all subscribers to PM me their mobile numbers and will then PM those to the organisers/coordinators of other
games. If people don't want their cell numbers bandied about, then ummm don't send them to me



Any other offerings or yes-votes for dance card items?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aquilian wrote:
Hi all

Just letting people know there is a carpool travelling from Hamilton to Wellington (leaving Fri 1.6.12, 8am, returning sometime Mon 4.6.12), that has two free seats. Petrol estimate is approximately $65 for the whole trip.

Any takers please let me know.

Thanks
Kes


I'm already sorted Kes - but sounds like there will be a heap of Hamiltonians there this year. Looking forward to meeting you all!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Wine Pie wrote:
OK, some of the volunteers for Wellycon had a get together at Ceedee's place on Saturday to sort out our schedule and play a few games for beginners and families. After playing Transeuropa and Alhambra there I went on to play Vinhos and Navagador with David, Jacob and Olivia. A great day's gaming!

Look for the volunteers wearing Green tops and lanyards throughout Wellycon.

My games in the library are marked with blue stick-on stars inside the lids. So feel free to ask me how to play one of those games if you find one you like at Wellycon.

See you in less than 2 weeks. Cheers!


It was a good day. After you left we played 7 Wonders, Bohnanza and a couple of games of California. Most of us got a chance to practice explaining rules.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ianne wrote:
Red Wine Pie wrote:
OK, some of the volunteers for Wellycon had a get together at Ceedee's place on Saturday to sort out our schedule and play a few games for beginners and families. After playing Transeuropa and Alhambra there I went on to play Vinhos and Navagador with David, Jacob and Olivia. A great day's gaming!

Look for the volunteers wearing Green tops and lanyards throughout Wellycon.

My games in the library are marked with blue stick-on stars inside the lids. So feel free to ask me how to play one of those games if you find one you like at Wellycon.

See you in less than 2 weeks. Cheers!


It was a good day. After you left we played 7 Wonders, Bohnanza and a couple of games of California. Most of us got a chance to practice explaining rules.


I've wanted to try California for quite a while
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Anderson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
I've wanted to try California for quite a while


Will bring along.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SamNzed wrote:
Any other offerings or yes-votes for dance card items?


Well, the only two games on my "play-at-all-costs" list are Galaxy Trucker and BSG, neither of which I own. If anyone is planning to run a session of either that they don't mind having a (quick-learning) beginner on, then by all means add 'em to the dance card list: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/141876/my-wellycon-201....

Aside from those two (and the ones I've already signed up for on the list), I'm not really fussed, and look forward to just getting in on a bunch of different games; though I will have some games that I'll be keeping an eye out for:
GoT 2nd Edition (have enjoyed playing 1st ed, eager to check out the improvements of the 2nd)
King of Tokyo (can't fathom how yahtzee+ could be worth that much $$! Only one way to find out...)
Nexus Ops

And am also interested in checking out/learning Dominion and 7 Wonders to see what all the fuss is about, but imagine they're popular enough that it shouldn't be hard to jump in on an impromptu game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
isaacjames wrote:
And am also interested in checking out/learning Dominion and 7 Wonders to see what all the fuss is about, but imagine they're popular enough that it shouldn't be hard to jump in on an impromptu game.


As long as you don't mind having to sit near the stall, I'd be more than happy to teach you these. Both are very simple to learn and very quick to play. thumbsup
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
isaacjames wrote:
And am also interested in checking out/learning Dominion and 7 Wonders to see what all the fuss is about, but imagine they're popular enough that it shouldn't be hard to jump in on an impromptu game.


As long as you don't mind having to sit near the stall, I'd be more than happy to teach you these. Both are very simple to learn and very quick to play. thumbsup


Me too! Plus, with me and David playing, you're at least 7.2 times more likely to win and therefore give you a better impression of the game!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
superbgg wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
isaacjames wrote:
And am also interested in checking out/learning Dominion and 7 Wonders to see what all the fuss is about, but imagine they're popular enough that it shouldn't be hard to jump in on an impromptu game.


As long as you don't mind having to sit near the stall, I'd be more than happy to teach you these. Both are very simple to learn and very quick to play. thumbsup


Me too! Plus, with me and David playing, you're at least 7.2 times more likely to win and therefore give you a better impression of the game!


The funny thing is that most people reading your post probably think you're joking! laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
isaacjames wrote:
And am also interested in checking out/learning Dominion and 7 Wonders to see what all the fuss is about, but imagine they're popular enough that it shouldn't be hard to jump in on an impromptu game.


As long as you don't mind having to sit near the stall, I'd be more than happy to teach you these. Both are very simple to learn and very quick to play. thumbsup


I think this is about the 73rd committment to game you have already made for the weekend You're going to enjoy yourself I can tell.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
citylife wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
isaacjames wrote:
And am also interested in checking out/learning Dominion and 7 Wonders to see what all the fuss is about, but imagine they're popular enough that it shouldn't be hard to jump in on an impromptu game.


As long as you don't mind having to sit near the stall, I'd be more than happy to teach you these. Both are very simple to learn and very quick to play. thumbsup


I think this is about the 73rd committment to game you have already made for the weekend You're going to enjoy yourself I can tell.


Haha..I always do, Andrew! It's definitely one of the highlights of the gaming year for me. I'm just glad that I appear to have pinned you down for a couple of games, which seems akin to identifying the Scarlet Pimpernel!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
isaacjames wrote:
And am also interested in checking out/learning Dominion and 7 Wonders to see what all the fuss is about, but imagine they're popular enough that it shouldn't be hard to jump in on an impromptu game.


As long as you don't mind having to sit near the stall, I'd be more than happy to teach you these. Both are very simple to learn and very quick to play. thumbsup


Me too! Plus, with me and David playing, you're at least 7.2 times more likely to win and therefore give you a better impression of the game!


Cool, thanks - look forward to it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Waenink
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My envy seems to grow as the date of Wellycon approaches.

Have a great time everyone.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.