Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cmdr_G wrote:
There will be a few of us with Airlines Europe then.

Airlines Europe
Lords of Waterdeep
Cuba
Torres
Carson City
Tsuro
Leaping Lilly Pads
BSG
Carcassonne: The City

Anyone keen to have a few quick warm ups on Tsuro first up just after doors open?

G

Count me in for Tsuro, Gordon, unless I'm still setting up. I really enjoy that game and can't wait for the sequel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cmdr_G wrote:

Airlines Europe
Lords of Waterdeep
Cuba
Torres
Carson City
Tsuro
Leaping Lilly Pads
BSG

Anyone keen to have a few quick warm ups on Tsuro first up just after doors open?

G

Gordon I'll happily leave my copy in shakey town no sense in having 3 copies on hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Packwood
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
As a Wellycon newbie (actually, an-any-kind-of-boardgaming-con-newbie) I'm grappling with the bring-some-games vs buy-games-there conundrum for my limited suitcase space.

I have these games with me and would like to play them, but not sure if I need to bring any or not:

Mansions of Madness (all figs painted)
Wiz-War (all figs painted)
Cosmic Encounter
Blood Bowl Team Manager
Rune Age, Arcana

I can bring Cosmic Encounter with all expansions if required I'm thinking of bringing Eclipse as well.

I'm obsessive about my games as well though, so they'll be with me rather than in the library (last weekend at a private event my brand new copy of King of Tokyo was used to occupy a 4 year old, I was not impressed! cry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
All4Glory wrote:
UniversalHead wrote:
As a Wellycon newbie (actually, an-any-kind-of-boardgaming-con-newbie) I'm grappling with the bring-some-games vs buy-games-there conundrum for my limited suitcase space.

I have these games with me and would like to play them, but not sure if I need to bring any or not:

Mansions of Madness (all figs painted)
Wiz-War (all figs painted)
Cosmic Encounter
Blood Bowl Team Manager
Rune Age, Arcana

I can bring Cosmic Encounter with all expansions if required I'm thinking of bringing Eclipse as well.

I'm obsessive about my games as well though, so they'll be with me rather than in the library (last weekend at a private event my brand new copy of King of Tokyo was used to occupy a 4 year old, I was not impressed! cry)

I'll definitely be keen for a game of Eclipse if you bring it - such an awesome game!

(And please stop calling me a 4 year old!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seriouslyboard wrote:
Cmdr_G wrote:

Airlines Europe
Lords of Waterdeep
Cuba
Torres
Carson City
Tsuro
Leaping Lilly Pads
BSG

G

Count me in for Tsuro, Gordon, unless I'm still setting up. I really enjoy that game and can't wait for the sequel!

First saw this on table top the other day, if I get there early enough I'd be keen to try it out, but I wouldnt wait for me if I'm not hanging by your shoulder when you goto start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Noble
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon,

I would love to - looked a really interesting game.

Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
Cmdr_G wrote:

G

First saw this on table top the other day, if I get there early enough I'd be keen to try it out, but I wouldnt wait for me if I'm not hanging by your shoulder when you goto start.

I don't know Dean, if you miss the start of a Tsuro game, it could be a whole 2 minutes before the next one starts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
moonglow wrote:
seriouslyboard wrote:
Cmdr_G wrote:

G

I don't know Dean, if you miss the start of a Tsuro game, it could be a whole 2 minutes before the next one starts!

WOw, that fast! It looked a fairly quick game, but since TableTop shows a 5 min game and a 1 hour game in about the same time its sometimes hard to tell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
10-15 mins for Tsuro, some people take a pinch longer so allow the 5 mins. My version plays up to 6 players.

I shall probably put Leaping Lilly Pads out in the library on Saturday, I intend to run some promo demos Sunday, Saturday if there is demand. It is also a simple game, about 15 minutes to play for up to 4 players.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules for the Race for the Galaxy Tournament are up on the Wellycon Guild. Follow the link below.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9280054#9280054

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was to put money on the three biggest hits this year, I would say

Castles of Burgundy
Airlines Europe and
Lords of Waterdeep

Multiple copies of these will be good where possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
If you pick red, don't complain when I start moving your meeple...
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:

Castles of Burgundy
Airlines Europe and
Lords of Waterdeep

That's interesting. 3 games I've never heard of! Will have to try them over the weekend.

I would have thought Eclipse & Mage Knight would be up there.

After watching Table Top I immediately bought a copy of Tsuro. I saw there was a new version coming out soon where players are boats instead of dragons. I'd rather be a dragon than a boat so I got the current one. Spent hours playing back to back 8 player games last night. Epic fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Always Red wrote:
citylife wrote:

Castles of Burgundy
Airlines Europe and
Lords of Waterdeep

That's interesting. 3 games I've never heard of! Will have to try them over the weekend.

After watching Table Top I immediately bought a copy of Tsuro. I saw there was a new version coming out soon where players are boats instead of dragons. I'd rather be a dragon than a boat so I got the current one. Spent hours playing back to back 8 player games last night. Epic fun!

Tsuro is a great game but Tsuro Of The Seas is more than just a re-theme.

Yes, I expect Eclipse and Mage Knight to be heavily popular, and I reckon you'd really enjoy Lords Of Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes, I really think Lords of Waterdeep will be the one, its easy to pick up first game which makes it ideal for a convention.
I shall probably run it more than once or twice, one of my favorites right now.

G
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly very two good nominations.

The demand may be there for them, though perhaps not the supply. There may be a copy of both there, but both are long games I understand so I can see the demand significantly overwhelming the supply. More copies and shorter games is likely to see one of the euro's win out. I must admit there is a small bias towards Euros each year too.

But I could definitnely be wrong. Mage Knight is certainly on my want to learn list and will be very popular if copies are there.

I can also announce that Tim has included a copy of Castles of Burgandy in the Pixel Park Prize Pool which is likely to be the weekends special prize.

As I mentioned on Facebook we also have prizes from Board Game Rentals and a new Auckland Company Schilmil Games.

Voting will also take place for the Wellycon Game of the Year. The announcements just keep on coming!!!!!

Always Red wrote:
citylife wrote:

Castles of Burgundy
Airlines Europe and
Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Thompson
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
designer
If you pick red, don't complain when I start moving your meeple...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just watched Dice Tower videos of all 3 games.

Lords of Waterdeep looks like it could be an interesting worker placement game. Although there are already so many worker placement games and I can't think of a single game made by Wizards that I enjoy that isn't an addictive collectable card game so I am a little skeptical.

Airlines Europe looks like Ticket to Ride meets Imperial. Sounds fun.

Of course I'm always terrified when trying new games that I will really like them, because then I'll need to own a copy of it immediately!

David are you going to have these games for sale on the day?

I spent all of yesterday reading the 40 page rule book for Mage Knight and didn't end up playing it. So I am pretty keen to play it ASAP. Is anyone local able to bring a copy along? I'm flying down, so I'm not sure how many games I'll be able to carry onto the plane with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Always Red wrote:
David are you going to have these games for sale on the day?

We'll have Lords Of Waterdeep, but not Airlines Europe.

Always Red wrote:
I spent all of yesterday reading the 40 page rule book for Mage Knight and didn't end up playing it. So I am pretty keen to play it ASAP. Is anyone local able to bring a copy along? I'm flying down, so I'm not sure how many games I'll be able to carry onto the plane with me.

Mark Barrett
New Zealand
Northland
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

and

Dean Richards
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

each have a copy. I'm not sure if they'll be at Wellycon or if they'll have it with them, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hubbard
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope everyone is excited by the Tichu and Race for the Galaxy Tournaments, I know I am!

Of course I do rate both games a 10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope someone brings Mage Knight, would make me very happy...

I've just sorted out a prototype copy of Shima's new 7 Wonders expansion, MYTH (which will be released when Cities comes out and looks super fun), so will have that with me for anyone to try out. Yay! His previous set of More Wonders is in the box as well.

I'll toss Smash Monster Rampage in the bag too for some more print and play goodness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Freer
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
by the pricking of my thumbs, something awesome this way comes!
Pateke wrote:
I hope everyone is excited by the Tichu and Race for the Galaxy Tournaments, I know I am!

Of course I do rate both games a 10!

oh yes! (well not for RftG, that can die in flames)
Don't know about you people, but the excitements kicked in -
It's going to be a good 'un.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Christchurch
i actually live in Wellington
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Golden Camel !!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Discworld: Ankh-Morpork? Any interest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Roach
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
@ Brad

I did in-depth looks at Airlines Europe and Lords of Waterdeep, might be worth a look.

Convention wise I think LoW has it, for the ease of getting into factor. Airlines has more and deeper grit. Both are very good, both can have thriller endings.

Airlines is harder to get into, there is plenty going on in layers. LoW has plenty going on, yet it is much easier to grasp, the concepts are simple yet they have depth enough and strategy, plus lots of variables. Airlines has fewer variables, yet the depth of overlaying strategies makes it a game not for newbies. At our group we usually say you need at least one game of AE to understand all the things happening unless you are experienced. In LoW it is almost the opposite, the idea is more straight forward, the mechanism simpler, it is the choices and variables that make this good.

AE is the longer game, 5 players is a 2 hour game. LoW is 90mins or less.

LoW is probably closer to Ticket to Ride in many ways than AE as a concept as well, AE has some complex ideas and strategies for newbies. LoW is probably the new gateway game to cube pushing, AE is definitely not.

Happy to start running LoW right after Tsuro warm-ups, say 10:45-11am. Anyone interested?

Gordon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
SamNzed wrote:

Yes, yes, yes! Lock me in for a game of this against you, Sam! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Freer
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mbWellycon 2012 Attendee microbadge...vote here
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9283875#9283875
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
freerby wrote:
mbWellycon 2012 Attendee microbadge...vote here
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9283875#9283875

100% in favour so far! (Although I'm the only person who has voted so far...) ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.