Subject: Dear Tom Vasel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: grammar_rant [+] [View All]
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear Tom (and some other reviewers, but especially Tom that has a production on a completely different scale),

As much as I enjoy your reviews there are certain things you do that drives me to distraction. Please please bear these in mind:

* Etcetera is pronounced eT--Set-Era. There is no X or K in the beginning of the word. This seems to be a common mispronunciation stemming from a common misspelling of the abbreviation "etc." as "ect."

* It is "caValry", not "caLvary". CaValry is mounted troops while caLvary is an extreme suffering or mental anguish, often of an religious nature as of Jesus on the cross, which incidentally is what I suffer when people mispronounce the two above words.

Please do not write these off as dialectal differences. They are not: they are blatant and painful mistakes that removed attention from your actual message and reduce the impact of what you're trying to convey.

Bonus griefs:

* All currency in games cannot collectively be called "dollars", and it is especially silly do to so in fantasy games with gold coins.

* There is no U in the second syllable of nuclear. Not even in the US American dialect of English.

I look forward to more reviews! Thanks for the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno ... all the things you've mentioned give Tom's reviews a very personal note, don't they?

Especially the "Dollar" thing (which is the only thing I've noticed) meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikademus wrote:
* There is no U in nuclear. Not even in the US American dialect of English.

I think there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, no U. That pronunciation is a metathesis (sound mangling), that is, a switching of two adjacent sounds, and considered highly substandard. It has actually gotten into some dictionaries lately simply because of its sheer persistence though (though Merriam-Webster lists it with a note saying it is considered questionable or unacceptable). Read more of it here, f.i.:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/explainer/20...

There is actually an entire WP article dedicated to the bloody mongrel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucular

Interesting source of other common mispronunciations. Especially confusing "upmost" and "utmost" is annoying :D

http://www.alphadictionary.com/articles/mispronounced_words....

EDIT:

Argh! I am so stupid. Yeah yeah, there is a U in nUclear! Lol, thanks! :selfslap: But you get my point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a "did you consider?" - that maybe an occasional mispronunciation is there because refilming an entire 3 minute segment EVERY time you screw up would make reviews even more time consuming than they already are? Doing reviews for The Dice Tower I know this from experience.

It is especially hard when filming with two reviewers. If my brother says "calvary" it might annoy me, but not as much as starting over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably would have PM'd him, rather than putting his name in the title of the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
benevolentweasl wrote:
Just a "did you consider?" - that maybe an occasional mispronunciation is there because refilming an entire 3 minute segment EVERY time you screw up would make reviews even more time consuming than they already are?

Actually, I did. I have been growing increasingly frustrated with his consistent habit over the last two years, and now I needed to vent. I like the reviews and appreciate the effort that goes into them and at the same time wish I didn't have to wince every two minutes (in some reviews not a hyperbole) since "exetera" is one of Tom's most common expressions in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Drood
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Seriously, call Kenny Loggins because you're in the Danger Zone!
badge
M, as in Mancy
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikademus wrote:
Dear Tom (and some other reviewers, but especially Tom that has a production on a completely different scale),

As much as I enjoy your reviews there are certain things you do that drives me to distraction. Please please bear these in mind:

* Etcetera is pronounced eT--Set-Era. There is no X or K in the beginning of the word. This seems to be a common mispronunciation stemming from a common misspelling of the abbreviation "etc." as "ect."

* It is "caValry", not "caLvary". CaValry is mounted troops while caLvary is an extreme suffering or mental anguish, often of an religious nature as of Jesus on the cross, which incidentally is what I suffer when people mispronounce the two above words.

Please do not write these off as dialectal differences. They are not: they are blatant and painful mistakes that removed attention from your actual message and reduce the impact of what you're trying to convey.

Bonus griefs:

* All currency in games cannot collectively be called "dollars", and it is especially silly do to so in fantasy games with gold coins.

* There is no U in the second syllable of nuclear. Not even in the US American dialect of English.

Always be careful with such public criticism. You never know when someone else might start pointing out errors in pronoun use, sentence structure, verb tense, and pluralization.

Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand the complaint; whether I would have posted publicly or not is another matter. However, since it is now open for discussion, I will just say that Tom has attained a high level of expectation around here for his review of games. For many he is the go-to reviewer. And he does it enough that on some level he can be considered a "professional", or at least that he targets a professional level with his reviews. And part of being a professional presenter (of anything, really) is to present as correctly as you possibly can. This includes correctly pronouncing commonly mis-pronounced words. It is fair to encourage Tom to be mindful of this, and to strive to ever improve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Tom does a superior job, kudo's for his reviews, and to those who take the time, energy and money it takes to do them. The nice part of Tube and other media is they allow you to post being there for the enjoyment of others. I find it easy to overlook flaws since I am not the producer of these infomercials and I know my own imperfections,I mispronounce way more words and some have become great family fun as now my grandchildren try to get me to change pronunciations I have made for about 50+ years which make me, me.
So Tom and others, do what you do, and thanks for the free information
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
I understand the complaint; whether I would have posted publicly or not is another matter. However, since it is now open for discussion, I will just say that Tom has attained a high level of expectation around here for his review of games. For many he is the go-to reviewer. And he does it enough that on some level he can be considered a "professional", or at least that he targets a professional level with his reviews. And part of being a professional presenter (of anything, really) is to present as correctly as you possibly can. This includes correctly pronouncing commonly mis-pronounced words. It is fair to encourage Tom to be mindful of this, and to strive to ever improve.

I think a difference between Tom and other public figures is that any BGG user could PM Tom and he would probably read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
mbmbmbmb
Mikademus wrote:
Not even in the US American dialect of English.

Dear Mike Adachi,

It's American or US, not US American!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
Mikademus wrote:

Dear Mike Adachi,

Unless it is: us Americans speak that way.

Etc., Etc., Etc. I think we all learned how to say this from watching 'The King and I.'

I have always pronounced the 'l' in cal...valry for how else would the horse(s) have legs to stand upon.

Edit...an l not an I
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmb
ldohrebl wrote:
Aenea wrote:
Mikademus wrote:

Dear Mike Adachi,

Unless it is: us Americans speak that way.

Etc., Etc., Etc. I think we all learned how to say this from watching 'The King and I.'

I have always pronounced the 'l' for how else would the horse(s) have a leg to stand upon.

But when a Swede says US American I presume he did not mean 'us'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Those mistakes I can forgive, and I would also like to thank Tom for an excellent product; but I've noticed that he consistently pronounces its with an apostrophe, and once I was pretty sure I heard him mix up your and you're.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikademus wrote:

Just a small peccadillo...

There are quite a few American dialects displaying a wide variety of phonological rules.

Your examples, however, would not be explained away by these differences. I'm just noting that there's more than one dialect in the US.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time; We're gonna have a party...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mikademus wrote:

What about calling all currency "money's?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Briggs
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All currency in games cannot collectively be called "dollars", and it is especially silly do to so in fantasy games with gold coins.

In the US we have Twenty Dollar Gold pieces, which, today, are worth thousands of dollars, not just twenty dollars, so a gold piece for us Yanks could be dollars...the coin shop a few doors up from us explained how some gold coins are called dollars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time; We're gonna have a party...
mbmbmbmbmb
javapuzzles wrote:
All currency in games cannot collectively be called "dollars", and it is especially silly do to so in fantasy games with gold coins.

In the US we have Twenty Dollar Gold pieces, which, today, are worth thousands of dollars, not just twenty dollars, so a gold piece for us Yanks could be dollars...the coin shop a few doors up from us explained how some gold coins are called dollars...

Oh, snap!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
mbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
javapuzzles wrote:

Oh, snap!!!!

Nah, in a fantasy setting there is a big chance that they won't be called dollars no matter the facts that a gold coin existed in the US or that some other gold coins where called that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
javapuzzles wrote:

Oh, snap!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Redward wrote:
javapuzzles wrote:

Oh, snap!!!!

Nice!

I dig that chart, it really flows...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joanna Griebel
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
Mikademus wrote:

Dear Mike Adachi,

I think he used US American because Canada, Mexico, and all the central/southern american countries are also technically "American..." though we don't really say Canadians are American, because "American" is used in place of saying US citizen... so I can see how someone not from this continent might find the need to differentiate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Schneider
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horfrost3 wrote:
Aenea wrote:
Mikademus wrote:

Dear Mike Adachi,

I think he used US American because Canada, Mexico, and all the central/southern american countries are also technically "American..." though we don't really say Canadians are American, because "American" is used in place of saying US citizen... so I can see how someone not from this continent might find the need to differentiate.

So does that make the language I speak Canadian American?
It also logically follows then, that the language he speaks is Swedish European...

I think some people need to learn how to lighten up, worrying about such trifles will take years off one's life. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adachi
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
von wildensee wrote:
So does that make the language I speak Canadian American? :what:
It also logically follows then, that the language he speaks is Swedish European...

For sure, you probably speak a Canadian dialect of English. I myself speak a Swedish dialect/derivative of the now non-existing proto-Germanic language, which I guess might make it Swedish (Indo-)European.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.