7 Posts

Taboo» Forums » Rules

Subject: dispute rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john doe
Ireland
flag msg tools
Right i think this is a simple one but looking for an answer to settle a dispute...

The word to guess was 'mussles'

The person describing the word then decided to describe the word 'muscles', by pointing to his arms, saying "what do you go to the gym for" etc...

The person guessing guessed 'muscles' and was awarded the points.

This is surely against the rules and the points shouldn't have been awarded?

Any help appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope they got it right. Any way you can get people to say the word is fine. Since they both sound the same it doesn't matter they are thinking. If I got you to say Bill Clinton by using Shakespeare and Hillary I still got you to say what's on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john doe
Ireland
flag msg tools
I'm sure you're right but I still think thats quite odd. It gives a totally different context to the word so you're not actually guessing the word on the card. Also it allows you to dodge all the taboo words on the card which are meant to be obstacles which is basically the point of the game?

Also how can you definitively draw the line between what 'sounds like' the word on the card and what doesn't.

Again i'm sure you're right I just find that ruling a bit odd.

And thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't there is an issue of what "sounds" like. Mussels and Muscles sound the same (unless your Popeye).

I would say they can't say any word that sounds like any Taboo word on the card.

Anyway it shouldn't come up that often, it's a party game and getting through the cards is your goal. Have fun and don't worry about things like that.

PS. Taboo is alright, but try Time's Up for a lot of fun. I have yet to find a person that hasn't liked it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
et2012 wrote:
This is surely against the rules

No, its not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john doe
Ireland
flag msg tools
Much appreciated Jerry! And i'll look into Time's up we're always looking for more board games.

Thank you for the in depth analysis paul you're a credit to the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The word to guess was 'mussles'

The person describing the word then decided to describe the word 'muscles', by pointing to his arms, saying "what do you go to the gym for" etc...

The person guessing guessed 'muscles' and was awarded the points.

I would then have said, "good, and the word I want you to say sounds very very similar to that but is spelled slightly differently"

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.