Subject: Major Cities - Limited Supply Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Dickey
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Rather than just playing Russian Campaign with my 8-yr-old son, I'm editing down the Russia Beseiged Rules to make a "Basic Rules" concept for him (e.g., anyone can do an Automatic Victory at any time if they have 10-1 odds; no sea movement except limited evacuations; etc ...).

One thing, reading the rules I thought might be an improvement was to the Major City Limited Supply Rules. I personally prefer something less absoulte and less dependent on which cities (like Leningrad) actually proved able to survive encirclements.

The proposed rules would go someting like this (I'm open to ideas; I might be screwing things up):

13.41 A Major City may provide limited General Supply via a non-rail supply path to two army sized units or three corps-sized units. In addition, a WEC, Dictator, Stavka, HQ, one artillery, one Russian paratrooper and any 2 units of the SS Polizei; Volkssturm; other WECs and HQs may be supplied. All units in excess of the above limits are eliminated at the end of the owning player’s second impulse. The owning player chooses which units to eliminate.

13.42 Units drawing General Supply from a Major City can hold out for at least one turn.

• Units drawing General Supply from a major city and are not marked with an OOS marker, are marked with an OOS-1 counter at the end of their second impulse.

• For units marked with an OOS-1, OOS-2, or OOS-3 marker that are still drawing General Supply from a major city at the end of a subsequent second impulse, that marker is removed and replaced with an the next-higher OSS-# marker.

• For units marked with an OOS-4 marker that are still drawing General Supply from a major city at the end of a subsequent second impulse, that marker remains on the unit.

If units have an OOS-# marker already at the end of their second impulse, the following procedure occurs:

• Roll the d10 die and apply the following modifiers:

- Subtract the # on the OOS-# marker;

- Subtract one if the units were attacked the current turn and suffered any step-losses;

- Add two if the units attacked that turn;

- Add one if the units were not attacked the current turn (i.e. no affect for unsuccessful attack);

- Add three for units in their nation’s home country (e.g., Russian units east of the start line; German units west of the start line (and not in a satellite country); Rumanian units in Rumania; etc …);

- Add another three for units in port cities (e.g. Russians in Leningrad, Sevastopol, etc ..).

The units are eliminated if the modified die roll is 6 or less.

Examples:

- An German unit drawing General Supply from a major, non-port Soviet city after one full turn that lost at least one step defending that turn would have a -2 total modifier and would have to roll a 9 (10% chance) to survive. It would not automatically surrender, but it would have little chance of survival, especially going forward.

- A unattacked German unit drawing General Supply from a major, non-port Soviet city after one full turn would have a -1 total modifier and would have to roll an 8 or 9 (20% chance) to survive, and this would dwindle to 10% the next turn and 0% the following.

- A Russian unit drawing General Supply from a major Soviet non-port city after one full turn that was not attacked in that turn would have a +3 net modifier, and would thus have to roll an unmodified roll of 4 to 9 (60% chance) to survive to the next turn (but it’s chances would diminish in subsequent turns if it survived).

- A Russian unit drawing General Supply from a major Soviet port city after one full turn that was not attacked in that turn would have a +6 net modifier, and would thus have to roll a 1 to 9 (90% chance) to survive that turn.

- A Russian unit drawing General Supply from a major Soviet port city after four full turns and that was not attacked in that turn would have a +3 net modifier, and would have to roll an unmodified roll of 4 to 9 (50% chance) to survive that and each successive turn (but the cumulative odds means that they could have been previously eliminated).

- A Russian unit drawing General Supply from a major Soviet port city after four full turns that lost at least one step defending that turn would have a +2 net modifier, and would have to roll an unmodified roll of 5 to 9 (50% chance) to survive that and each successive turn (but the cumulative odds means that they could have been previously eliminated).

Any units that were successfully attacked (took at least one step loss collectively) would have their chances of survival lowered by 10%.

-Arbitrary distinction between particular port and non-port cities would be avoided. I.e., would surrounded Russians in Vladivostok necessarily have given in any more readily than Russians in Leningrad?

13.43 If a unit with an OOS counter is able to trace General Supply to an unlimited supply source at the end of its second impulse, the unit survives and the OOS counter is removed.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Dickey
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
And maybe I would add to
"The units are eliminated if the modified die roll is 6 or less."

That:

"The units collectively take one step loss (to be chosen without limitation by the owning player) if the modified die roll is 7 or 8."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Eliason
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Interesting concept. I'm not sure the added complexity is worth it. I hope this isn't part of your "basic" rules for your son! Thanks for getting another youngster interested in gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.