Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Community,

I am trying to get a family game club started at my children's school. I was looking for ideas that have worked for others. This is what i have done so far:

1. spoke with principle
2. Spoke with Local game store and he is going to give some 25% discount coupons.

Plan:
1. door prize of ticket to ride
2. Snacks
3. Games:
-Ticket to ride x2
-Pandemic
-dominion
-Quarriors
-zombie muchkin
-pit
-apples to apples

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I am sure someone has done this and has some advice?? Please!

Doc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's up, Doc?

I'm curious as to the age of the kids concerned. Is this elementary school? Middle school?

I've not organized an event such as you're describing, but it sounds like a fantastic idea, and a lot of fun!

My only advice is to be sure and have plenty of experienced gamers around to teach the games. In fact, I'd have rehearsals so that the instructions are smooth, efficient, and get people playing quickly.

Cheers,
Lenny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Lenny,

Thanks for the feedback. I will tell you I am gearing this for children at least 8 and up. I am hoping to get families playing together like mine does. We go a a small Catholic school so I am hoping to get at least the equivalent to 6-8 families. I have my wife, another couple who games with us and my two oldest running games. My two oldest have been practicing teaching the rest of us: Quarriors, Zombie munchkin, apples to apples, and Pit. The four adults will run two tables of Ticket to ride, one of pandemic, and one of dominion.

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Green
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously you must play Nuns on the Run and Here I Stand then!

Best of luck, Doc - sounds like a lot of fun. A couple more game suggestions: BANG!; The Resistance; and Wits & Wagers all work well when facilitated to a large group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LennyS wrote:
Obviously you must play Nuns on the Run and Here I Stand then!

Best of luck, Doc - sounds like a lot of fun. A couple more game suggestions: BANG!; The Resistance; and Wits & Wagers all work well when facilitated to a large group.

Thanks Brother for the advice and support.

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sturm
United States
Lancaster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this article I wrote a few months back can help you out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks ryan! if anyone has any other advice or stories please add it to this thread.

Doc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya! I am subscribed to the "Educators" forum feed here at BGG as many other educators are. I'm sure if you posted this question there you'd get much more feedback as many of us, including myself, have had experience starting clubs and after school groups at school.

Be sure to give some details in the opening so that we know the ages, setting and goals.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.