Subject: Teaser AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Its been far to quite about Guadalcanal for far to long, so here is an AAR on the opening turns of one of the firefights currently being play tested to wet your appetite for you will see this summer .

Firefight: Pacific Dieppe
General situation: The USMC Raider Battalion and the USMC 1st Parachute Battalion are conducting a hit and run raid from the sea on a Japanese supply dump at the village of Tasimboko. For a variety of reasons the Marines were able to land unopposed, and destroyed the supply dump with minimal losses. This firefight examines what could have happened if those "variety of reasons" had played out differently, and the Japaneses had opposed the landing.

Round one:
A landing force of 8 LCP(L) landing craft carrying 24 squads of Marines is off board waiting to land on the beach on Map 13. Landing craft cannot participate in group actions with other landing craft (its a rule thing ), so single LCP(P)carrying three squads enters the map in a deep ocean hex where it is fired on and hit by a hidden Japanese Type 41 75mm gun. the LCP(L) draws an Immobilized hit counter, leaving it dead in the water.

The U.S. player responds by attacking the gun with a P-400 Air Cobra carrying a 500 pound bomb. The gun is destroyed by a direct hit with the bomb, but the damage is done. Foot passengers in an immobilized landing craft must unload, so the squads in the LCP()P jump into the deep ocean hex.. which only compounds their problems.

All non-passenger foot units that enter a Deep Ocean hex must check for drowning by rolling 2D6, and are eliminated (drown) if the result is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
down range wrote:

All non-passenger foot units that enter a Deep Ocean hex must check for drowning by rolling 2D6, and are eliminated (drown) if the result is

IS WHAT!? What's going to happen the the guys in deep ocean?

I know you said teaser but I wasn't expecting cliff hanger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
The last part of my post didn't post... so here is the rest of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
down range wrote:

Ah yes, now I see. That's much more clear.

I can't wait for this -- I'll even reply to blank posts.

I suspect that you're using some disallowed characters like these: or these: or maybe these:

Don't use those and you should
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
OK lets try this again. My computer at work obviously does not like Board Game Geek, and my postings were getting cut off. How rude.

... all non-passengers foot units that enter a Deep Ocean hex must check for drowning by rolling 2D6, and are eliminated if the result is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
I can't believe this. Everything is getting cut off. It must be a problem with BGG. I'll try finishing this tomorrow,

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You're using a greater than symbol. That's a reserved character. Spell it out.

I'm still waiting to learn what happened to those marines!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
I'll try that...

...All non-passenger foot units that enter a Deep Ocean hex must check for drowning by rolling 2D6, and are eliminated (drown) if the result is less than or equal to a 5 (like rolling for vehicle immobilization).

The three squads are all pulled under by the weight of their equipment, and drown. That is four units lost for the Americans in two turns. These amphibious invasions are brutal.

A second LCP(L) carrying three squads enters next, and a hidden Japanese Anti-tank gun (ATG) fires at it and misses. Fortunately for the Marines the U.S. player has a 5-Inch/38 OBA weapon card (representing an off-shore destroyer or two), and the ATG is in an OBA target hex for it that the U.S. player plotted in the pre-round sequence.

Now there is a special firefight rule that allows the U.S. player to take a command action that costs 1 CAP to fire an OBA strike into a plotted target hex during the round. The U.S. player pays the CAP for the strike and the off shore destroyer blasts the area with its fast firing guns, eliminating the ATG.

That allows the second LCP(L) to reach a Shallow Beach hex without any more interference where it unloads its now spent squads. The U.S. player smiles smugly as he gloats that his troops are starting to establish a beachhead. But the Japanese player says "not so fast", and fires a Japanese LMG Team that had been hidden in an adjacent hex at the squads. One squad is eliminated and the other two are Pinned and Stunned. The only good thing for the Americans at this point is that the Japanese player is running out of hidden units and guns.

The U.S. player spends his last two CAPs (yes, he only had three CAPs to start with. Additional CAPs are gained by special firefight rules) to fire the machine guns on the LCP(L) at the Japanese LMG team. The LMG is eliminated.

And so on. As you can see, its a brutal up-close-and-personal contest with danger for both sides at every turn (Pun intended). I don't want to say anymore right now with play testing still going on, but I hope I wetted your appetite for Guadalcanal.

Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Sherry
United States
Great Falls
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dean. Please tell Uwe our appetites need more whetting. It's been far too quiet on the COH Guadalcanal front!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The landing craft rules are interesting. I can see a great deal of possibility in the (hopefully) inevitable "Omaha Beach" module (hey, we already know the Airborne are coming!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Brian.
I posted another teaser AAR in the illumination thread. Since it was a night battle that is just where it ended up. That AAR is better written too than the pathetic one on this thread, now that I know what not to use when typing a post on BGG.

Uwe is hard at work behind the scenes finishing up AtB 2nd edition. And once that is done we start putting Guadalcanal together. Its been a long wait, but the good thing is that this long wait has allowed me to really polish up the rules for the Pacific. So hang in there, Guadalcanal is just over the horizon.

Barry,
Ya, the amphibious invasion rules are simple but deadly to the poor Marines and soldiers coming ashore. They are not to complex, and give players a good feel on how difficult an amphibious invasion is. The rules will work very well for an "Omaha" game.

take care,
Dean
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.