Popular Tags: [View All]
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mheagerty wrote:
jackster111uk wrote:
Hi Welcome to the wonderful world of ASL!

To add to some great advice already up there, start with Starter Kit 1.

Go to this page

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1

There is a brilliant tutorial by Jay Richardson and also video files to explain the basics.

Whilst the rules seem daunting at first, once you have played a few times it becomes a lot easier.

Am I correct in that ASL SK is fairly complex, it's just not as complex as full ASL? As in it has the same number of phases?

SK is like a subset of full ASL. It uses the same maps, counters and turn sequence, but the tables have been cropped out and there are many player actions left out. So its "more or less" like if you played the full game but restricting yourself to a subset of possible actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mheagerty wrote:
jackster111uk wrote:
Hi Welcome to the wonderful world of ASL!

To add to some great advice already up there, start with Starter Kit 1.

Go to this page

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1

There is a brilliant tutorial by Jay Richardson and also video files to explain the basics.

Whilst the rules seem daunting at first, once you have played a few times it becomes a lot easier.

Am I correct in that ASL SK is fairly complex, it's just not as complex as full ASL? As in it has the same number of phases?

ASLSK is not as complex as full ASL in that it does use the entire rule set and it also breaks down the learning process into smaller portions. Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1 deals with only infantry, and with three special weapons, a demolitions charge, a flame thrower and machine guns (although it does deal with light, medium and heavy machine guns). Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #2 adds in artillery, and Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #3 adds in vehicles. ASLSK does have the same turn structure as full ASL. So in answer to your question ASLSK is not as complex as full ASL, eventually after you have digested the final SK it is fairly complex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
TonyClifton wrote:
Judging by the op's command of the language, I'd say he might be one of the editors of the FoF rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Really folks, has it occurred to you that the OP might be trolling?
The bit I emphasized within the quote below is a big clue.

mtrddog wrote:
well after buying many war games I got the Plexi and got the room for the maps for any game and sit to read the directions and man if those things dont put me to sleep , and I have all the popular games ASL starters and the full ASL , Lock and Load ,and more and I just cant get with the rules , Gees I want to be a war gamer and I know have to wade through rule books is a BIG part of it , my college education cant even get me their and my wife is supportive , I know this might be a very stupid question but how do guys do it when it comes to read a rule book , what keeps you interested . like "fields of fire" , I got through four pages of it , I felt like I was better of listening to my Mother-law LOLOLOLOL so I hope you feel my pain but with a bit of humor I can get through it thanks even before you can help me SC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alfonzo54 wrote:
I recently tried to play my first game of Fields of Fire after attending the live demo on vassal, watching a multi-hour walk-through (twice) and playing through a briefer one. I immediately hit the wall when a situation occurred that managed to not be covered by either walk-through and I couldn't find it in the rulebook.

I think many who struggle with the FoF rulebook are unfamiliar with military command structure. The game rewards efficient use of command and control, and emphasizes the importance of small unit communication. To be sure, combat is handled unlike any game I've ever played.

I dunno, I have a lot of solitaire games, and it's a stout rulebook,
but it's do-able. great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also ditch ASL and the like for now and play some games where the rules are so easy, you read them once and almost never have to look at them again.

Field Commander Napoleon and Hornet Leader Carrier Ops come to mind. The Barbarossa Campaign isn't too bad either ruleswise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Debil wrote:

mtrddog wrote:
well after buying many war games I got the Plexi and got the room for the maps for any game and sit to read the directions and man if those things dont put me to sleep , and I have all the popular games ASL starters and the full ASL , Lock and Load ,and more and I just cant get with the rules , Gees I want to be a war gamer and I know have to wade through rule books is a BIG part of it , my college education cant even get me their and my wife is supportive , I know this might be a very stupid question but how do guys do it when it comes to read a rule book , what keeps you interested . like "fields of fire" , I got through four pages of it , I felt like I was better of listening to my Mother-law LOLOLOLOL so I hope you feel my pain but with a bit of humor I can get through it thanks even before you can help me SC

Well, what about it, Sebastion: are you trolling? (Don't be ashamed to state whether you are or are not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Debil wrote:

mtrddog wrote:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought this was a troll. Even if the only other person who thought the same way just happens to be a maniac.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Marsh
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's good to know how you best learn. I'm an auditory learner, so I try to unpack complicated wording or mechanics by reading the rules aloud. With particularly dense material, I take a lot of breaks so I can parse what I've read while doing something else like washing the dishes.

I'm sure I look like an idiot, but I'm looking like an idiot in front of my family, who already has firm suspicions. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HuginnGreiling wrote:
Did you have the new, revised rulebook available from GMT's website?

Yeah, I do. And I'm incredibly thankful to have one that's searchable.

oldbrownsfan wrote:
I think many who struggle with the FoF rulebook are unfamiliar with military command structure. The game rewards efficient use of command and control, and emphasizes the importance of small unit communication. To be sure, combat is handled unlike any game I've ever played.

I dunno, I have a lot of solitaire games, and it's a stout rulebook,
but it's do-able. great game!

While I agree with you, since I had no knowledge of military command structure before I started learning the game, my specific instances were not because of this. I just had a really hard time finding what I wanted to reference in the rulebook. It seems to me that it has organizational issues in regards to the way the data is presented to the reader.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno if it's the booze or adult-onset ADD but I have a tough time reading rules, these days, too. It never used to be that way. Anyway, if I'm fortunate enough to find someone who either owns a game I have or wants desperately to learn I game I have, I'll appeal to them to do the heavy lifting in terms of rules-reading. I can assimilate rules just fine if they are 'splained to me while we play a few turns, and I suspect that a lot of people are better able to learn in this way, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie Orris
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which games have gradual rules? I have The Longest Day which feeds you a few rules, then instructs you to play the 1st scenario, then some more rules, then another scenario, so you gradually get experience and don't have to know all the rules at once. There must be other games like this. I expect tactical games are like this, but I don't play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Macc
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobie wrote:
Which games have gradual rules? I have The Longest Day which feeds you a few rules, then instructs you to play the 1st scenario, then some more rules, then another scenario, so you gradually get experience and don't have to know all the rules at once. There must be other games like this. I expect tactical games are like this, but I don't play them.

Squad leader uses this approach but it is tactical.
Liberty Roads feeds you with the basic rules then recommends that you play the first scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.