$10.00
Andrew Laws
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
In one of those spooky co-incidences that make you contemplate playing the lottery after all, I was noodling around on the internet last weekend when BGG was down and came across this excellent article by a one John A Foley:

Developer's Notes — Up Close and Personal

and as I was reading it I thought; "Waaaaaaaait a minute. Weren't we discussing these two VERY issues right here on the 'Geek not a few days ago?"

The answer is YES

Mr. Foley has nailed down many ideas and concepts about the narrative structure of CC as well as providing an excellent tutorial for all those players who are struggling with cardplay, both in terms of what to play, but when and how often in order to keep tempo.

I can't recommend it enough, it's exactly what I would say to someone who had reached the supposed CC 'plateau' to raise their understanding of the game, only explained much better than I ever could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good find ! Quite the excellent article.

I printed a copy for my CC binder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
That article is excellent and one I've read several times. Can't be recommended enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
HarlemMimeSchool wrote:

The answer is YES

Mr. Foley has nailed down many ideas and concepts about the narrative structure of CC as well as providing an excellent tutorial for all those players who are struggling with cardplay, both in terms of what to play, but when and how often in order to keep tempo.

I can't recommend it enough, it's exactly what I would say to someone who had reached the supposed CC 'plateau' to raise their understanding of the game, only explained much better than I ever could.

You are being modest. Your short essay on page two of the linked thread was fantastic. In my mind, you got to the heart of why CC is such an amazing game. I,ve owned and played ASL, ATS, LnL, Tide of Iron, Band of Brothers and Up Front. The only two that I would play every day if I could are Up Front and of course CC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmb
I've always thought John's article you reference is a brilliant piece of work. I'm happy to have it associated with one of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot connect to the link, can someone post it in here please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
Du Quoin
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
I cannot connect to the link, can someone post it in here please?

It's a PDF hosted at the C3i site. I don't think permission has been given to post it here or in the files section.

Here is a link to the C3i Combat Commander archive page. Perhaps you can get it from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Albert
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m curious about this “plateau effect.” For those of you who’ve been playing for years, what did this mean for you? And approximately when did it happen? I’m sure it’s taken many different forms depending on the player.

I only discovered the CC system in January, but in true junkie fashion, I’ve already logged ~50 plays across all the expansions and battle packs. Probably even more. Only now do I feel like I have a sense of how to set up and actually play. Many of my early games were all chest-beating and ATTACK and TAKE OBJECTIVES and ATTACK -- all with blinders on at the cost of everything else.

Only in the past 15-20 games have I come to realize the importance of studying the time and VP track in addition (and relation) to the map … both before and during the game. Part of that is a result of having internalized the game flow and mechanics so I don’t have to think about them anymore. But an even bigger factor is simply learning how not to play like a mouthbreather. I’m finding that sometimes it makes a whole lot more sense to disengage and run while trying to speed up the game. Or not using all your orders when time is short. Or making a calculated to risk to sacrifice a unit or two to muck up part of the board and slow an advance. You know, actually paying attention to all the ever-changing factors that make CC so great.

Seems blindingly obvious now, but that was not always the case.

And interestingly, just last night, I made a pretty crucial tactical error trying to be subtle when brute force would have been the call. I split my units into three groups and made a grand flanking move in an attempt to make my opponent worry about multiple fronts. My thinking: he only had three orders, so eventually I’d be able to wear him down with my four -- he can’t respond to everything, right? I was patting myself on the back with my brilliance. Well, I should have paid better attention to the implications of Objective R coming out pre-start, and the SSR of no exit points. The game was never going to be won on the margins, it was always going to be won with a bloodbath on the hill. (Map M3.) And surprise! It was, and not by me.

I guess what I’m saying, even at ~50 games in, I don’t feel like I’m anywhere close to plateauing. I still make head-slappingly dumb errors. Fewer, though, so I got that working for me.

Cheers –
Jason

PS: That Foley C3i piece truly is aces. I found it about a month ago, and I’ve read it four or five times since. And I’m also glad to know I’m not the only one with a CC binder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your kind comments, All.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.