Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Fear the Atomic Skull-Bat! (or don't. It's up to you...)
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely some of you fine folks have tried WK with having the attacker go first. How did that work? Did it alleviate the 'turtling' I've heard about in straight 'kill each other' games. I know WK is best with scenarios, but I'm wondering if just taking that away from the defender tips things enough to make folks be able to break a strong defense a bit less costly?

Waiting for my massive order to ship from CG. Happy to be part of the community finally,

M13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Back in the day, when I had a local friend who liked to play this a fair bit, we quickly switched to having attacker fire first. We found it more exciting. It was easier to rush into battle, so there was a lot more combat and less slothful positioning. With defender first, it is impossible to catch an opposing Wizard. (Also, with attacker first, we did not allow the attacker to retreat in the first round.)

I still waffle on which way I prefer. I am happy to play either way.

However, I only play with first edition blocks. The second edition has oh so many City Defense units. With those in the mix, I would likely only play attacker first. That ability seems to take one potential problem of the system and embellish its detriment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herodian Smith
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not tried this. The attacker already chooses the battle's location. Do you think having the attacker also fight first might be too far in the other direction?

edited for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi from Germany,

here is my recommendation:
Get rid of the Igo-Hugo, add Corps and there is no need to change/amend the game system regarding "attacker or defender always goes first".
By the way: I use a combat system that applies a maximum of 3 dice rolls per battle. The vast majority uses just 1 dice roll (1d6 per side).

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "add Corps"?

M13

tuner 13 wrote:
Hi from Germany,

here is my recommendation:
Get rid of the Igo-Hugo, add Corps and there is no need to change/amend the game system regarding "attacker or defender always goes first".
By the way: I use a combat system that applies a maximum of 3 dice rolls per battle. The vast majority uses just 1 dice roll (1d6 per side).

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

I consider each normal combat unit as a regiment.
The WK system uses rigid stacking rules.
I apply the rule: up to 6 blocks per hex per side.

Military units are part of a well organized structure and hierarchy.
For WK this means: a group of 5 to 20 blocks may be organized as a corps.
In game terms: I replace those blocks with a corps block.

The implications of this simple "swap" are not just "reducing the number of blocks placed on the game board".
A corps IS one block concerning stacking and hexside crossing.

This changes the game flow considerably. Battles may now see dozens of blocks per side. No longer is a defensive posture the simple (and boring) key to winning the game.

WK turns into a very dynamic game of maneuver warfare (quite similar to the corps of the Napoleonic era).

Here is an example. The II.Corps of the Undead army is going to assault a city of the Feudals.

The single Corps block represents the following blocks.

The battle is about to start (with the placement of the opposing blocks on the battlefield.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fungi From Yuggoth
United States
Northern Chicago burbs
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, neat. That upscales the scope of the game as well. Thanks for the clarification,

Happy gaming,

m13
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.