Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started this project trying when I created a season to play with just my wife and I. We play two cars each and only race one lap because she likes short games. I have 22 courses which I am separating into two seasons, so I'm trying to make them about an equal race length. I'd hate to do one season of all long races and another of shorter races. I tried to figure out a way to determine the length of the race, and just wound up counting the number of spaces used when driving in the middle lane of the track. I know it's not the most likely used driving line, but I just needed some kind of standard to compare the circuits. Here are the "lengths" that I've counted. These are for the longest routes around the board, so the Watkins Glen length includes the optional chicane and "the boot".

Formula De
Monaco - 166
Zandvoort 1 - 153
Zandvoort 1 & 2 - 321
Zandvoort 2 - 158
Belgium - 177
France - 220
Italy - 124
Watkins Glen (NY) - 166
England (Silverstone) - 149
Argentina - 217
Spain (Barcelona) - 169
Detroit (MI) - 142
Lexington (OH) - 156
Atlanta (GA) - 139
Daytona Beach (FL) - 181
10th Anniversary - 200
Bahrain - 199
China (Shanghai) - 190

Formula D
Monaco - 166
Race City - 195
Singapore - 170
Docks loop 1 - 90
Docks loops 1 & 2 - 200
Docks loops 1 & 3 - 214
Docks loops 1, 2 & 3 - 324

Results
The shortest circuit that I own is Italy - therefore I plan on using it to host demos at some local gaming conventions coming up.

The Docks is very flexible! It is both the shortest (only loop 1 back to the checkered stripe) and the longest (racing all three loops in order).

questions
Has anyone else ever tried to determine the length of the circuits? I'm also going to keep a record of how long each track takes us to run both our cars around one lap. Our last race was Atlanta and lasted 20 minutes. Does anyone think this is useful at all? I was thinking of adding this information to each of the tracks listed in the Track list, but I thought putting them all in one post might be better for comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Smith
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:

questions
Has anyone else ever tried to determine the length of the circuits? I'm also going to keep a record of how long each track takes us to run both our cars around one lap. Our last race was Atlanta and lasted 20 minutes. Does anyone think this is useful at all? I was thinking of adding this information to each of the tracks listed in the Track list, but I thought putting them all in one post might be better for comparison.

Since each player's turn speed can vary greatly, a turns-per-lap may be more beneficial than actual time-per-lap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
is Danish for length
Track lenghts: http://www.formulade.dk/index.php?page=records "Længde" is Danish for length cool

They have been counted in the same way as you, for the same reasons.
The Docks is not done, so that is a default track length, I have put in.

The amount of time needed to race a given track is an interesting number, and I have been recording it in our 10 annual races since 2004, although I have not put it in a statistic anywhere.

While the player's normal playing speed is one parameter, the amount of players and weather are also two significant factors. Driving always takes longer in the rain.
20 minutes - were you driving a one lap race?
Anyway, I think it is useful information together with the number of players and starting weather.
When you have several numbers for each track, you should be able to see a pattern emerging.

I usually use old data to predict the ending time of future races, and usually I am not too far off.

Zandvoort 2 has a 1 turn faster track record in our league, so even though it is longer, it should be faster to drive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Anopther thing: I have found that track lentgth is far less interesting than the number of turns needed to go a lap, when trying to figure out how much time you need to play a given track.

When your tracks have alternate sections, you could consider to race two versions of it, one in each season.
Argentina is a very different track when you do the short version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Niels. Yes, my wife and I were playing one lap. What data do you use to predict the race time? Number of cars, track and weather?

I agree that rolls per lap might be more beneficial, but then how do you do this to get a great average number? Run around the track using the starting spot between 5 and 6 and then move average die rolls? If I do that then the number of rolls will change based on a 1 or 2 lap race, due to me not having to get up to speed in the second lap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When I predict a race, I look through our old reports to see how mnay we were. The weather will be decided on race day, so while it is a factor, I cannot predict it. The amount of cars will alsonot be final until the race, but we are usually 6-8 drivers, so that is the data I use.

Regarding the number of turns, I would count through the track and see the minimum number of turns needed. It does not take longer than a minute and is a good indication of track length.

When our league has lasted a hundred years and we have played all tracks at least once, I might do a query to get the average amount of turns of all top 3 qualifying runs for each track, to give me the same number

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taalmod wrote:
Regarding the number of turns, I would count through the track and see the minimum number of turns needed. It does not take longer than a minute and is a good indication of track length.
You're suggesting just counting the number of stops required, plus 1 or 2 for long straights?

For example, if I could just pick my speed instead of rolling a die for Bahrain - 16 for one lap (getting started) and 29 total for two laps.

Maybe qualifying times is a better indicator, because it is actual number of die rolls plus wear points. I have yet to hold qualifying though. For the last season I was in we rolled randomly for starting position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On Bahrain I would rate it at 17-18 turns. Perhaps my extra turns are used on gaining speed from the standing start?
I count as I would race it if I could choose my dice rolls, so it is a fast method.

It is better to use actual values, but they depend on you having raced it already and this may not always be the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Leppo
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll put in a plug for my own geeklist that addresses this question.

Formula D(E) - Circuit Metrics

I used average distance for each curve and straight for each track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taalmod wrote:
On Bahrain I would rate it at 17-18 turns. Perhaps my extra turns are used on gaining speed from the standing start?
I count as I would race it if I could choose my dice rolls, so it is a fast method.
To get 16 turns you need to land at the first space of corner 1 in 4th gear, roll an 11 in 5th gear to make your second stop and then cross the first long straight in a single 6th gear. That has a low probability of happening. The minimum 16 rolls also includes one 6th gear roll for the long straight before the final corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ok, I was counting how I would drive it with good rolls, not how I would drive it suicidally - 5th gear in a corner with 11 spaces to go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.