$10.00
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine any circumstance when it makes a difference. If two punts are going to dock, it doesn't matter which goes in to port A, does it?
It is mentioned in the rules, and in Ajax's excellent rule summary it is mentioned after all three dice rolls, and italicised for emphasis.
Just anting to check I'm not neglecting something in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G.
United States
Newbury
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time I could imagine it mattering is if two punts were both going to land on the 13 space and there were two pirates. Which punt was put there first might influence the 1st pirate's decision, knowing that the other pirate might get the other punt. Does that make sense? I haven't really thought about it a lot before answering.

Otherwise, I think the point of the rules saying "in any order" is just to emphasize that it really doesn't matter which order you do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Berger
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the pirates jump on after all punts are moved.
I think you're right that it's there to show that it doesn't really matter. The fact that it has become magnified in the rules summary file is what made me wonder. Thanks for the reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G.
United States
Newbury
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnodestang wrote:
I think the pirates jump on after all punts are moved.

Of course, you are absolutely right. That's what I get for answering without thinking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would matter if there were two pirates AND two punts had die rolls moving them to space 13. The lead pirate gets preference as to which punt he plunders. The second pirate logically taks the second punt, but the first pirate wants the one that's worth more.

I love this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might matter because a pirate doesn't have to take a punt into the good dock and can scuttle it getting the cash anyways. If you were hoping they would take it into the port and not scuttle it, you might send the punt you want to go up first, in case the pirate wants to help out the same good-type more than the other. The other would not make it to port no matter what unless you have two pirates. (assuming two or three punts would hit the 13). I don't think it matters much but maybe psychologically it might matter in one game out of 40.

that make sense??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently learned this game and carefully read the English rules. They were relatively clear that if there are two pirates and multiple boats land on the 13th space after the third roll, then both pirates share the profits from all of the boats, but the pirate captain decides for each boat whether it will make it to the wharf or to the shipyard. I infer this rule because the English rules constantly use plurals, both when referring to the pirates and to the boats, when describing what happens when boats reach the 13th space.

(If there are people who read the rules differently, I would suggest that, regardless, this is what the rule SHOULD be because if not then the second pirate space is really rather weak and should almost never be taken.)

If this is the rule, then the order in which the boats are moved truly doesn't matter. Which is, I think, definitely correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumping on the punts after the 2nd roll the order matters. But, yes, all punts (on 13 space) are paid out to both pirates who split it, no matter where they send it to, at the end of the third roll.

Now, here is a confusing rule in a big blue box in the rules:
"When a punt stands on space
13 after the third movement
round and there are no pirates
on the pirate boat, it is placed
on the next vacant port space."

Though earlier in the rules it states above 13 gets a port space.

Does this mean 13 is a winning space after the third roll as well as anything above 13 (if no one takes pirates action or they all boarded earlier)? Mind you, this would only happen in a poor game where the pirates are too expensive to take the risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike G.
United States
Newbury
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:

Does this mean 13 is a winning space after the third roll as well as anything above 13 (if no one takes pirates action or they all boarded earlier)?

Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
falluper wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

Does this mean 13 is a winning space after the third roll as well as anything above 13 (if no one takes pirates action or they all boarded earlier)?

Yes!

I'd better let the local game group know. They have played it many years losing those poor 13's even without a pirate to plunder. It rarely happens
(people love pirating), but I remember a shouted drat! that it only made it to 13.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
falluper wrote:
ropearoni4 wrote:

Yes!

Agreed. And I know what was meant about the rule ambiguity on this - it states earlier in the rules that anything that makes it PAST 13 gets to the wharf. That doesn't conflict with the later rule that says that if something makes it to 13 on the third roll and there are no pirates there then that, too, makes it into the wharf, but it certainly leaves one wondering why it didn't just say THAT earlier in the rulebook. The only way I can understand it is that earlier the rulebook was just giving you the "sure thing" that can happen - anything that sails past 13 is definitely making it into the wharf - and then later on it gets into the details of what happens if it lands on 13 exactly, since then it may or may not get into the wharf.

What it SHOULD have said is that if it lands on 13 then it's definitely going somewhere ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the word Port and Warf also confuses things. Shipyard is understood, but why use two words for the same thing almost seems like they are different things. But, as a Designer, and one who has written rulesbooks from one version to another, yes, sometimes old words find there way into the new version; sometimes a new theme ends up with old words.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Wintner
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, if I remember correctly the rulebook alternates between calling the spaces for boats that "make it" the "wharf" and the "port", or maybe it was "docks." I try not to use "docks" because I want to use that word to describe spaces A through C at both the wharf and the shipyard (e.g. "Dock A at the shipyard"). Whether to use "wharf" or "port" depends on how tightly you're getting into the theme - same question applies to whether you call them "boats" or "punts." Punt and wharf are better because they describe tiny boats carrying small amounts of cargo and which aren't very seaworthy. Boat and port make them sound like much larger ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.