Subject: Value of marketing in 2p? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about the relative worth of marketing in a 2p game. With the marketing bonuses removed, it really seems like pitched battles to win extra popularity aren't too high on the agenda, or is there a reason to pursue it that I can't see (other than the marketing bonus at the end)?

Seems a shame there wasn't an alternate marketing bonus rule for 2p... something like "everyone who increases their popularity by at least 2 in a round can claim one bonus" or something (silly me, looking for variants before the game is even shipped! )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While simplified in the 2 player game, turn order is still a very important element of the game.

If Player A is the most popular player, then they get higher profit margins at the Retail Outlets, and first choice of Improvements at the Construction Company (this is key since there is only 1 copy of each Improvement available in a 2/3 player game). If Player B, lets Player A have that advantage all game without much effort, then Player B will most definitely have an uphill battle. However, if Player A is spending many resources to stay on top of Popularity and Player B isn't, then that too opens up possiblities for Player B since they are ignoring Popularity on purpose.

My point is, that you'll find that paying attention to turn order is indeed still vital to success and that means marketing should still be a consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Sheppard
United States
Bellevue
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Richard,

When we played our first 2-player game we missed the rule about having only one of each building type, so I agree, it seemed that there wasn't much point, but after figuring out some of our mistakes and getting some clarification on other rules, I think turn order is still important in a 2-player game. That said, you're not alone in mulling over the possibility of a 2-player marketing bonus variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, player order is very important. But marketing bonuses makes marketing doubly important in 3+, and it seems a shame that some of the richness is removed from the 2p game. I could imagine that if, for every 2 points you earned in marketing in a round, you got 1 bonus, it could make marketing battles very exciting in 2p, as I try to earn 2 bonuses, but my opponent steps in to prevent that, earning one bonus themselves in the bargain.

But I admit I'm probably WAY off base here, having only played once, while tye game has been playtested it for years! I'm just so sensitive to the "2p gamers get the short end of the stick in games that were designed for more" syndrome, I tend to jump when I see things like "ignore this entire game feature in 2p", even when it's not warranted
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, thinking about it a bit more, now I'm liking this as a variant to bring marketing bonuses into the 2p game:

The farther ahead a player is in popularity, the more bonus options there are for him:

top or 1 space ahead: no bonus (other than being 1st player, obviously)
2 spaces ahead: choice of temp worker or i2
3 spaces ahead: choice of temp worker, i2, $2 or 1 supply
4+ spaces ahead: choice of any bonus

This seems like it would capture the feel of a multiplayer game a bit more (not that I've played it, mind ), requiring a significant marketing investment to keep getting top bonuses (because of the decay), and encouraging the other player to at least minimize the bonus choices the heavily marketed player gets, if not eliminate them altogether.

This approach might make the PR office too powerful though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Short
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pressure is good inspiration. You guys have inspired me.

I have designed an official 2 player variant. I will post about it in the near future. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Applewhite
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dshortdesign wrote:
Pressure is good inspiration. You guys have inspired me.

I have designed an official 2 player variant. I will post about it in the near future. ninja

Hi David,

Did you post the official 2 player variant somewhere? If you did, I am having trouble finding it. Would you please point me in the correct direction.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.