Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently there are three AP courses at our high school that use board games at the end of the year. (For those that are not aware: AP stands for advanced placement courses that are college level courses with an end of the year test that can earn students college credit) Our AP European History classes play Diplomacy, our AP Statistics classes play Stone Age, and the AP Macro Economics classes play Power Grid.

Now, the teacher that I introduced Power Grid to is asking me for a game that can be used in his AP US Government class. In all of these cases, the games are played at the end of the year (after the AP test) as a reward / fun learning experience. The games don't have to be exactly on topic but are related in some way (in Stats they talk about probabilities and expected values in the dice rolls of Stone Age and in Macro the connection is the resource track and supply and demand of the resources).

I'm hoping the BGG community can help me come up with a game for this government course. The game doesn't have to literally be about the US government (though that would be sweet) but somehow related to government. My initial ideas (which weren't very good) were Tribune (ancient Roman government) and Mr. President.

Some things to keep in mind:
1) Games will be played by high school students (albeit, pretty bright students taking AP courses)
2) Looking to play one game as a class (in Power Grid the class is split into 6 teams of 5-6 students and the entire class plays a game together.)
3) Class periods are 50 minutes long, but in the three classes already using games, multiple class periods are used (a week of 50 minute sessions is not out of the question)

Any help is much appreciated. (Now, if we could find some good Algebra II games for my classroom........)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1960: The Making of the President

Campaign Manager 2008
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ells
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37358/founding-father...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Perhaps Panic on Wall Street!, Twilight Struggle, orLabyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ?.

Let us know what you decide upon.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Aguayo
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Junta: Viva el Presidente!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bertucelli
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Heckman
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
"What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?"
mbmbmbmbmb
My Monopoly/Nomic variant:

Every time you pass Go you can suggest a rule change. Instead of voting, each player may (in order) put money in either the aye or nay pile, or pass. You may put money in until all players pass. If the Ayes have more money then the rule immediately takes effect. Ties go to the Nays, to simulate gridlock.

It will teach everything one needs to know about modern politics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i do believe hter are some variants on diplomacy to be adapted to a teaching setting where one move is happening each day, and part of the homework is to make your deals. alliances and other stuff.

diplomacy seems like it could work for a government class
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Founding Fathers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
facebook.com/HistoricalBoardGames
mbmbmbmbmb
Levée en Masse was designed by a professor and VPG's website has links to all sort of classroom notes ready to go

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=121
Look under lesson plans
http://victorypointgames.com/documents/Levee_Lesson_Plans.zi...

All students play against the card deck
The card deck is full of historical events
The map is small enough to be easily projected on a screen for larger classrooms (overhead projector)
http://victorypointgames.com/documents/Levee%20en%20Masse%20...

You could also print many copies of the map, and counters and have multiple games going. You play the cards and have multiple versions of the games going in separate groups and compare results. (You may want to discuss with VPG about your use like this but I am sure Alam Emrich would be ok if you asked)

The game depicts the struggles of the government vs the new republic vs despotism

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming!

casualgod wrote:

I had thought of 1960: The Making of the President, as well as Mr. President but was concerned about these being only 2 player games. Since the teacher is hoping to play one game as a whole class, that would mean putting around 15 students on a team (and many students will melt into the background). I will pass along video reviews to the teacher though for 1960a and Campaign Manager 2008 just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Ells wrote:

Thanks. This looks like it has a chance. I'm passing along a couple of video reviews to the gov teacher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Peterson
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
Levée en Masse was designed by a professor and VPG's website has links to all sort of classroom notes ready to go

http://victorypointgames.com/details.php?prodId=121
Look under lesson plans
http://victorypointgames.com/documents/Levee_Lesson_Plans.zi...

All students play against the card deck
The card deck is full of historical events
The map is small enough to be easily projected on a screen for larger classrooms (overhead projector)
http://victorypointgames.com/documents/Levee%20en%20Masse%20...

You could also print many copies of the map, and counters and have multiple games going. You play the cards and have multiple versions of the games going in separate groups and compare results. (You may want to discuss with VPG about your use like this but I am sure Alam Emrich would be ok if you asked)

The game depicts the struggles of the government vs the new republic vs despotism

Very interesting. Thanks. I will be sure the Gov. teacher checks this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Divided Republic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the purpose of a high school US government class is to understand how our current political system works. For this reason 1960 > Founding Fathers, but neither would be my choice. And CM2008 isn't that good of an election simulation.

What my high school did was run a mock presidential election. Teams of students represented a presidential campaign, decided where to make speech that week, where to run ads, what issues to discuss, have mock debates, etc.

I would suggest that running a mock government (executive, legislature, and judicial) would be informative, but probably not as fun if the legislature behaves like it does now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Armstrong
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Road to the White House.

I teach AP US Gov and Politics and I have used this campaign simulation for a couple of years now quite successfully in my class. In addition to students managing the war chest, they discuss issues as they are introduced in the game, learn about the electoral college (they better know this already however) and have a lot of fun with this mock (ery) of an election. I have them create campaign ads for this candidates and those are always a hoot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Founding Fathers: try your hand at being President.
United States
Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I know of three history teachers who have acquired our Founding Fathers game for possible use in the class room. One of them even got the school to pay for it.

Founding Fathers is a game of the early American republic. Play begins with George Washington as president and John Adams as vice president. Also present are Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, Alexander Hamilton, James Madison and Aaron Burr. Each player controls several such statesmen, and those who will appear later, up through the arrival of Abraham Lincoln. Together the players try to solve the issues faced by the young republic – wars, debt, financial panics, the growth of the Union, north-south division, and more. Every four years the most popular politicians from each party square off to see who becomes the next president. Players look out for their own interests, but must not neglect too much the needs of the Union as it can falter altogether, from multiple causes. At the same time, players control statesmen from both parties and multiple states, providing ample opportunity for logrolling, mutual backscratching and strange bedfellows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Brynen
Canada
Baie d'Urfé
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A different approach is to have the students form teams, design a game as a term-long class project, and then use the final class to present them (with possibly a prize for the winners). There's some research evidence that students learn more from designing than playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kibbe
msg tools
mbmbmb
The Contender - Apples-to-Apples meets presidential debate!

http://thecontender.us/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Macher
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Our US Govt. presently? then Business Strategy and even Big Business "just saying..." whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cursed be, until the end of time, those who would steal the games of the
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ideology
War on Terror
Imperial 2030
Power struggle
Cold War: CIA vs KGB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.