Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Giacomo Leoni
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I am a great fun of AH and I am so lucky to have a group of friends that love(s, depending on your linguistic preferences) playing it.

We acquired all the expansions as soon as they came out (we got the 1st version of the game by FFG) and we normally mix them all in.

However, after 30 or so games (and after having added Insmouth), we found that Kingsport fell flat as far as its own mechanisms are concerned: while new stuff, investigators, GOO and monsters were ok, the mechanism of the Rift, potentially wonderful, ended up being not-interesting. What would happen would be that one of our investigators would spend the game moving around Kingsport locations to prevent the rifts to open, not risking anything (since very few dangerous events are in the city) but at the same time not contributing to the game.

Throw in the fact that since we were playing with more than one board-expansion he did not even count in the number of player, this ended up being boring (and time consuming).

So we were forced to eliminate all the mythos affecting KH, turn the board so that everything but the Outer Worlds were covered by Insmouth board and play as if Kingsport city never existed.

Hase anyone experienced anything similar? Am I missing something? What do you guys think of all this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johan rosenblad
Sweden
malmoe
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. When we talk about playing a complete game with all expansions it's always understood that the geographical location of Kingsport (the board) and the rifts are excluded. Otherwise; an investigator assigned to protect this hamlet - if it's there - has the most boring and uninteresting responsibility in the whole game. Poor guy.
But maybe it's like you say; we've missed something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my friends always play with all the expansions (including the Kingsport board and Rifts). The Rifts is a cool mechanic, and, while somebody does need to visit Kingsport to keep the Rifts at bay, it's not like you have to camp there the entire time. A Rift isn't going to open the second you set foot off Kingsport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AKQJX
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
Me and my friends always play with all the expansions (including the Kingsport board and Rifts)

How many investigators do you usually play all the expansions with? I would think with a small number the sheer square mileage of greater Arkham would be plodding and risky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We have typically played with 4 players, 1 investigator each, with all 3 expansion boards. We rarely need to put much emphasis on Kingsport until the later portion of the game to prevent a Rift. I never recall anyone ever needing to spend much time in Kingsport to prevent the Rifts so we've never assigned Kingsport to someone as their primary responsibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Christie
Australia
Eastwood
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my group, we found that the best way to handle Kingsport is to tag-team the "rift patrol". The investigator up there is frequently getting clues whether attacked by a monster or having tea with old Mrs Pickman, so when they get 5, they should be heading back to Arkham to sort out a gate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try playing with just 2-3 Investigators sometime- you just don't have the manpower to spare to dedicate one player to Kingsport. I've found the Rifts are usually a real threat with 3 Investigators...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
Hase anyone experienced anything similar? Am I missing something? What do you guys think of all this?

I haven't but that's only because I never bothered to get KH in the first place. Pretty much for the reasons you mentioned.

Jgt even offered to send me KH for free if I would just give him my address, but wouldn't even take it for free goo .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you say you have all the expansions: does that include Miskatonic? If it does, did that not address the problem that you describe? (I'm not suggesting that it should, merely interested in whether it did/didn't and why)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Leoni
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone

1) I own Miskatonic, yet did not try it yet (I suffer of continental displacement: I am in the US, while the beloved game is back at home in Italy), will see if that changes anything

2) Even accepting the idea that you do not have to care about Kingsport all the time, we're still facing the problem that it is either non-influential or (when necessity calls) a boring exercise of low-tension exploration. In both cases, not great fun.

3) I find too that Kingsport acts as a booster for any investigator spending time there, and we did switch to send the boosted one to close portals, yet again I do not see how can this work in a fun way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
you say you have all the expansions: does that include Miskatonic? If it does, did that not address the problem that you describe? (I'm not suggesting that it should, merely interested in whether it did/didn't and why)

MH has cranked up the difficulty level for all of the expansions, except Lurker. Last time I played KH (eight-game series), I think I only won three.

Gate bursts are really a major factor in the game with this expansion most of the time. Be prepared to seal seven or eight gates, instead of the normal six.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Labrecque
United States
Endwell
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me start off by saying that we haven't used KH expansion for some time and never with MH.

The last few times we used it, we created a "dummy investigator" run by the entire group, usually it's turn became the resposibility of the 1st player. This investigator's sole responsibility was to remain in Kingsport and keep it under control. This made sure that no player-run investigator had to spend time in Kingsport.

While this worked OK, we haven't used that supplement in well over a year, preferring to play more interesting supplements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Miskatonic Horror adressed EVERY problem that the game had. Seriously. It is an amazing expansion!

funbelievable wrote:
How many investigators do you usually play all the expansions with? I would think with a small number the sheer square mileage of greater Arkham would be plodding and risky.

Certainly it would be with only a few players. I play with 6-8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
MH has cranked up the difficulty level for all of the expansions, except Lurker.

Don't know that I can agree with that, Brian... Lurker's Reckoning Deck is MUCH nastier with MH in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions and we play pretty much all in except for kingsport (we use the investigators, Goo's etc tho).

Altho i must say we never use heralds, guardians from any of the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Burnham wrote:
[q="mccrispy"]you say you have all the expansions: does that include Miskatonic? If it does, did that not address the problem that you describe? (I'm not suggesting that it should, merely interested in whether it did/didn't and why)

Miskatonic Horror adressed EVERY problem that the game had. Seriously. It is an amazing expansion!

funbelievable]How many investigators do you usually play all the expansions with? I would think with a small number the sheer square mileage of greater Arkham would be plodding and risky. [/q wrote:

Certainly it would be with only a few players. I play with 6-8 players.

How does it address Kingsport by itself, when not used with other expansions (except Miskatonic of course)?

My only problem with KH is it can start to drag out into VERY long games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slegyras wrote:
Yes. When we talk about playing a complete game with all expansions it's always understood that the geographical location of Kingsport (the board) and the rifts are excluded. Otherwise; an investigator assigned to protect this hamlet - if it's there - has the most boring and uninteresting responsibility in the whole game. Poor guy.

Should we ever happen to be playing in the same game and playing with KH -- which I guess would only be in PBF -- I volunteer to be the person running around Kingsport keeping the rifts closed. The only thing that kept me at all interested in AH after my first massive solo play with all of the expansions was Kingsport because I found that I really loved the encounters and could live without the gates. With less bookkeeping, gates aren't as dull for me anymore, but I still love the encounters above all and would, bluntly, play just with them if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimbert wrote:
Slegyras wrote:

Should we ever happen to be playing in the same game and playing with KH -- which I guess would only be in PBF -- I volunteer to be the person running around Kingsport keeping the rifts closed. The only thing that kept me at all interested in AH after my first massive solo play with all of the expansions was Kingsport because I found that I really loved the encounters and could live without the gates. With less bookkeeping, gates aren't as dull for me anymore, but I still love the encounters above all and would, bluntly, play just with them if I could.
I think the key word in Slegyras' posting is "assigned". C'mon, it's a co-op game. Nobody gets "assigned" anything, certainly not for the whole game.

As to Daimbert's comments, I wholeheartedly agree. One of the challenges in AH is trying to persuade people to visit Stable locations to have an Encounter (rather than to use the Special Ability) KH addresses this nicely. As you've found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's why we've enforced the home location starting encounters after setup.Not only is it a fun way to start, it doesn't break the game.(well, few homerules, if any, do. I love how flexible AH is, really)

Otherwise, encounters at stable locations are pretty rare.

When we're in dire straits,and there's nothing better to do, we'll visit some stable locations based on the most likely commodity to obtain there(visiting Velma's diner when you're short on Stamina, for instance.) A side perk of any stable location is that the encounters there are not as dangerous, and there's no possibility of a gate appearing.

We've been toying with the idea of awarding a clue token when having encounters at any stable location,unless an encounter awards it.(or starting the game with some of the stable locations seeded with clues instead of the unstable ones, so as not to upset the distribution).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, Kingsport doesn't support Speed Arkham (all boards at once). Even though the Rift Mechanic trots along at the same undiluted gait that it always does, Speed Arkhamites simply don't have the time to care: "Clues, Gates, Seals, none of those exist in stable locations, beat the Doom Track, monsters don't win games."

The Rift Mechanic (a) adds monsters, and monsters just waste time between Clues and Gates, so it doesn't make any difference if there are more of them; (b) boosts the Terror Track, but the game's over in 12-15 turns, so it doesn't matter if the shops are closed after Turn 1 or 2; and (c) adds Doom Tokens, but not as quickly as new Gates, so an open Rift is a minor nuisance at best.

On the other hand, if you love the flavor of Encounters, as do many role-players who enjoy the stories and linking them all together in some patchwork tale, Kingsport is a literal mountain of those. No surprise Gates, but plenty of delays and OW transports and offbeat characters. Not a great deal of monsters to interrupt, either, although if you can lure them up there, it's a good way to keep a dhole out of the way. (Kingsport loves the Mi-Go Brain Case!)

So it's simply a matter of what game you want to play. If it's more about Gates and Seals and skip-the-funny-words-what's-the-Skill-Check Encounters, Kingsport is not your expansion. If it's more about the fact that someone put all this Lovecraft and Cthulhu in an actual board game and ooo-wouldn't-Mark-be-terrific-up-here-against-all-that-delay, then Kingsport is definitely worth a look.

Offer stands, Dam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giacomo Leoni
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgt7771 wrote:

So it's simply a matter of what game you want to play. If it's more about Gates and Seals and skip-the-funny-words-what's-the-Skill-Check Encounters, Kingsport is not your expansion. If it's more about the fact that someone put all this Lovecraft and Cthulhu in an actual board game and ooo-wouldn't-Mark-be-terrific-up-here-against-all-that-delay, then Kingsport is definitely worth a look.

This is simply not true. We all like the story part a lot (we even play with an house rule in which you decide what to do based on the flavour text, since someone else reads the card to you and does not give you ingame requirements until you decide what you do). Despite this, we found KH useless and boring. By the way, one guy in our group even devoted a thesis to Lovecraft, so we do care about the theme A LOT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jgt7771 wrote:
boosts the Terror Track, but the game's over in 12-15 turns, so it doesn't matter if the shops are closed after Turn 1 or 2

Not to mention, only shop closing that at times (depending on the game situation) that gives me grief is the Curiositie Shoppe, General Store is irrelevant and Ye Olde Magic Shoppe is only used for Marie's PS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JGT
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geki wrote:
jgt7771 wrote:

This is simply not true. We all like the story part a lot (we even play with an house rule in which you decide what to do based on the flavour text, since someone else reads the card to you and does not give you ingame requirements until you decide what you do). Despite this, we found KH useless and boring. By the way, one guy in our group even devoted a thesis to Lovecraft, so we do care about the theme A LOT!

Then I honestly don't know what the issue is. Kingsport's stable. The only thing that really happens up there is Encounters, lots and lots of Encounters, while you keep the Rifts from getting in the rest of the team's way. If that is "useless and boring", then whatever Kingsport is offering isn't interesting you.

My cult LOVES Kingsport. Everyone wants to go up there and have Encounters at a somewhat slower pace. Avoid getting all chewed up for a while. And when they're done, they jump back into the Gate race, and someone else goes up there. That's pretty much Kingsport as written. If that isn't working for you, you'll have to House Rule something.

But it's not like you're alone. Lots of players don't like Kingsport. And you can still use the Investigators and die to Atlach-Nacha, so it's not a complete loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly play solo cause no one likes me (well, no one I know likes HPL enough to play a 3hr Mythos game) My brain can barely handle 3 Investigators at once (2 with Personal Stories, Relationships etc) so that's my limit. Thus Kingsport is perfect for me...

I'm handling 2-3 guys at once so I don't get bored with the board (heh heh, pun) plus with less than 4 Inv's you really can't spare someone to stay in Kingsport "full-time". Rifts become a real menace.

Maybe that's why I love Kingsport so much when so many other players can't stand it.

Compare it to Innsmouth (which is still my favorite, I think): with fewer that 4 Investigators you don't stand a chance unless you "nerf" it somehow (I have my own method) or use the Lurker. Innsmouth doles out its Encounters sparingly- I've gone whole games without drawing more than 2 Innsmouth location encounters- and the encounters are the best part (especially the Innsmouth Jail Cell)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.