$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Treasure Chest» Forums » Sessions

Subject: San Juan Expansion I: Got 9 pts from the Cathedral but finished last rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
Player order : Don, Jean and I

Jean got down an early tobacco and was starting to produce like crazy. I tried to stay in the producing game with a sugar. But Don got a silver smelter fairly soon, so Jean stopped producing and Don started producing.

The only thing that I had going was that I had a customs office (get a good in the councillor phase on the customs office, and trade for 2 in the trade phase). But that meant I had to council most of the time. This was better when I got a Prefecture (keep 1 extra card duing the council phase).

I put down a park, which you can build over to reduce the cost of a new building by 6, and in mid game I decided to build the Cathedral over it. The Cathedral gives 4+3+2+1+0 VPs for each '6' cost building that your opponents have (e.g., if they have two '6' buildings, you score 4+3=7 VPs). So I think this card was added to counter the luck aspect of your opponents getting a guild hall while you cannot. I seem to remember there was a San Juan card contest at least 6 years ago. I did to send in an entry. I forgot the details, but I sent in a suggestion of a building that lets you clone a '6' cost building that your opponents have, to reduce the luck factor of drawing the right '6' building you need. Obviously, my suggestion never made the cut, but I think the Cathedral is a good addition in this expansion.

The new cards I was trying: Customs house, Bank and Cathedral.

Jean got down an early Goldsmith (during prospector phase draw a card and if building has not been built, add card to hand), and Jean never seemed to miss drawing a card. Don had built a Library, and taking the prospector often to take 2 cards, while Jean would take prospector as well if the role came around to him. Jean would build a Guild Hall, and a Bank (once in the game, put cards in hand under bank for VPs), shoving 5 cards once to get 5 VPs. I thought Jean would run away with the game.

The new cards Jean was trying: Bank and Goldsmith.

But Don with his Libray and Silver Smelter would have enough to keep pounding out the purple buildings, building a City Hall (for 10 pts) and a Palace. This was enough to score a close win over Jean.

Scores:
Don 40 (22 building, 10 City hall, 8 Palace),
Jean 36 (23 building, 8 Guild Hall, 5 Bank),
Norbert 28 (18 building, 9 Cathedral, 1 Harbor)

I had a chance to build a Library myself, but wanted to try out some of the new cards. But you have to make sure you have a good engine going before you start to experiment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
I put down a park, which you can build over to reduce the cost of a new building by 6, and in mid game I decided to build the Cathedral over it.

You can only build over the Park if you also have the Crane, otherwise the Park is just a pretty place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
I put down a park, which you can build over to reduce the cost of a new building by 6, and in mid game I decided to build the Cathedral over it.

You can only build over the Park if you also have the Crane, otherwise the Park is just a pretty place.

Thanks, looks like I didn't read the text of the card carefully enough. Serves me right for finishing last

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.