Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

The students I work with at the after school program LOVE crokinole and I would like to start developing some lesson plans around it.

Has anyone done anything with crokinole regarding angles, speed, force, spin etc?

If so can you link me to it?

It does not need to be anything fancy but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wayne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean M
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea! I have nothing constructive to add, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean crokinole theory or using crokinole to display math and physics concepts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Do you mean crokinole theory or using crokinole to display math and physics concepts?

Either!

But mostly math and physics concepts.

Working on some STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) stuff involving board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eric miltenburg
Canada
toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think I know of a site that has exactly what you are looking for. Check out crokinoledepot.com run by the Beierling brothers. There are two things on that site I would direct you to right away although there is lots of cool crokinole info on the site generally.
The two things I would suggest you look at are the Crokinole Skills info that are provided there. The Beierlings have been runnning a Skills Competition booth at the World Crokinole Championships in Tavistock for the past 4 or 5 years and they have illustrations of the, usually 10 or 11,skill shots fielded to challenge players every year. These are a lot of fun to try and provide an excellent practice regime for skills that are useful in winning games. You can download the illustrations in pdf format and in the last couple of years they have a video montage of successfully made shots. So, there's a pretty complete audiovisual package there waiting for you.
The second thing you might want to look at is a book they have available by Joe Fulop, three-time world champion at the WCC in Tavistock. I like to think that this book came out of an accusation the Joe's skill at potting twenties was due to some uncanny natural ability, maybe even black magic or a deal with the devil ;^). But no, Joe attributes his skill mainly to being cool under pressure and lots of plain old practicing shots and angles. In the book he lays out over 50 common situations that he recognizes as turning points in a game that, if you can capitalize on them, can make you a winner, just like him, no need to sell your soul. It also helps if you can keep a cool head, but a cool head won't win without a trained finger as well.

It's okay to post the URL isn't it? In the BGG etiquette it says it's okay as long as you have no vested interest in the product. Hmmm, well the only vested interest I have is in beating these guys. Nice of them to hand me the tools on a plate, and now I pass them over to you.
Good luck, ... I sure wish I was in your class. It would have kept me from becoming a math-o-phobe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.