Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Crouch
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Would anyone have either of the resources below for making your own half-inch (greatly preferred) or five-eighths (workable for prototyping) inch chits?

a) a source for blank counter sheets, multiple primary colors being a plus

and/or

b) a document template so that I could print a counter sheet on a standard sheet of US letter paper? I'm toying with making one in Open Office Writer but I'm not very good at all these advanced-feature things. I can draw a grid on the page but it's pretty useless as a guide for typing. It's just a grid over the paper instead of treating each square as its own 'card', if that makes sense.

If not a document template, any open source or freeware program that would help me create the chits (and function as a guide for typing a number in each corner and a simple icon in the middle) would be great.

I can do this all by hand, but it gets very tiring writing so carefully on paper and then cutting each chit out. This would go much quicker (and more legibly!) if I could just type the stats in.

Thanks for any pointers, and happy gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While I'm sure someone could make you a grid the easiest thing for you would to in Open Office Writer or Spreadsheet make a table with even squares and type your info in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
'moi' designed THESE to fit upon your standard, print out sheet with 8-1/2 by 11-inches and USE 'portrait' for that:

the 2nd imagery are with 3/4 to 7/8th-inch counters. What do you thinks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Z.
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. That entire post is WAY too coherent Grognads...or I'm just starting to understand whatever the hell you write.

I'm not sure which scares me more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Green
United States
Seattle
Seattle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I needed chits for a prototype game I was working on and I actually used a program called Inkscape and made a grid of tiles sized for scrabble pieces. I then went to Goodwill and picked up a scrabble set for 99 cents and glued the images to the scrabble tiles.

If your interested I'll post the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Necromancyr wrote:
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. That entire post is WAY too coherent Grognads...or I'm just starting to understand whatever the hell you write.

I'm not sure which scares me more.
surprise "and then?..." there were this done for a 'perspective viewing' overall of what they would appear "as" when 'printed out'.

EITHER "fill in" with whatever COLORS you wanted on this, or use COLOR PAPER to print each upon for anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I never tried to use it for making chits, but it should be possible with NanDECK. Its not without a learning curve but is ideal for reusing images/icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nini
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK, BGG1tool, and BGG2Graph.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jan Tuijp wrote:
I never tried to use it for making chits, but it should be possible with NanDECK. Its not without a learning curve but is ideal for reusing images/icons.

Thanks Jan. There is an example here:
Script of the day: Wargame counters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Two sources for chits/counters I've seen mentioned before:

http://www.spielmaterial.de/english4/start.php?counters_squa...

The above is in Germany -- good service, but shipping costs to the US may be high.

The next one is Andrew Tullsen's Print & Play Productions:

Item for Geeklist "Print & Play Productions"

It doesn't appear that either offers them in any colour other than white -- you may want to contact Andrew and ask, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Jackhalfaprayer wrote:
I needed chits for a prototype game I was working on and I actually used a program called Inkscape and made a grid of tiles sized for scrabble pieces. I then went to Goodwill and picked up a scrabble set for 99 cents and glued the images to the scrabble tiles.

If your interested I'll post the files.

Having just come into possession of several bags of Scrabble tiles, I am very interested in having a look at your files. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Crouch
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grog, I don't even understand what your counters mean. Oh what would BGG be without you? kiss

Thanks for the guide all, lots of options to consider!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's only a prototype, why not just use chipboard and ANY software page layout program? That'll give you the dimensions you need for the pieces, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n_and wrote:
Jan Tuijp wrote:

Thanks Jan. There is an example here:
Script of the day: Wargame counters

That really is impressive! For wargame chits I would have used the NATO font for the symbols. It never occurred to me that NanDECK could do without. Amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Green
United States
Seattle
Seattle
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
First Inkscape:

http://inkscape.org/

Inkscape is a free vector drawing tool. Historically, I've used Gimp (similar to photoshop) and I've only just now started using Inkscape. It has cut my production time down to 1/4. Now I'm by no means an expert but I can provide some tips on what I did and how, if anyone is curious.

Next: Scrabble Tiles

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7944283/Widowmaker%20Tiles.svg

This is my sheet of counters. It's an SVG file, so you'll need Inkscape (or maybe Photoshop). Each counter is an object, but if you click on one and go to Object-> Ungroup you can break it into its individual components. With that you should be able to change the text, stats, etc.

Note: There's supposed to be a blood spatter on my units, as they are meant to be double sided (healthy and wounded states). This is just a font: http://www.dafont.com/wc-rhesus-b-bta.font

Once you've changed it to have the content you need, copy & paste to fill the sheet with what you need. To make everything all nice and even on the page select all go to Object--> Rows & Columns (at the very bottom) and set the rows and columns and the spacing you want.

Here is an empty sheet of blank scrabble sized tiles if you don't care about all my yammering:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7944283/Blank%20Scrabble%20Tiles.svg

Finally, Check this thread where it seems there is an extension for Inkscape that can auto generate counters, maps and other wargame stuff. I haven't read the whole thread, I just found it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/299033/inkscape-extensions-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Crouch
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool beans!

I'm really leaning towards the NanDeck route since the handy script is already there (and I think I see how to tinker with it to make it do what I want), though I'll probably download Inkscape as well and see which one is easier/has better results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
theTak wrote:
Grog, I don't even understand what your counters mean. Oh what would BGG be without you? kiss

Thanks for the guide all, lots of options to consider!
These are giving YOU an overall 'perspective viewing', or display, of an entire COUNTER SHEET lain out across a 'paper sheet' or 'print out' of them here. I purposely left a BLANK border of 1/4-inch all around with this, to allow where someone may not use the 'portrait'-setting when creating those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Crouch
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome thread, you all rock BGG

I poked both Nandeck and Inkscape. Inkscape looks like the more robust tool able to do a great many things, but I just need chits. So I'm opting for the one that 'clicked' first. Thank you just the same for all your hard work, Dylan. I do plan to play around with Inkscape and your plugin at some point, especially for maps.

I'm trying to make a fantasy warfare hex and counter beer and pretzels game. The combat system is pretty simple but the few I've talked to about it like it so far. The goal is to play it out on my GBOH maps for now. I want epic fantasy (Warhammer Fantasy Battles) that doesn't take up so much time, room, and money. Battlegrounds: Fantasy Warfare is a close fit, but I found that the general impression from others was 'we've already taken out all the 3D, why not just make it a board game at this point?'. Not everyone I play with is a fan of measuring stuff it seems BUT I digress...

Nandeck does exactly what I want it to for the most part, but I've got a few hangups. Can anyone see my problem with the below? I'm continuing to plug away at it but end up with validation errors more than anything else.

I only get one row of chits printed. I can change the quantity of that first chit made, but it never goes down to the next line (unit) in my unit CSV. It will create whatever is in the first line.

I butchered the code Andrea so kindly provided to get the below mess o' characters. I'm not 100% on what everything that's left over does, but I *think* I've trimmed it just to what I want (command will be used later, for heros and wizards and stuff):
Quote:

cardsize=2,2
dpi=600
linkmulti=number
link=fantasy.csv

[back_ork]=#088A29
[front_ork]=#000000
[out_ork]=#000000

[back_human]=#0101DF
[front_human]=#000000
[out_human]=#000000

macro=outline,(range1),(text1),(frame),(font1),(size1),(col1),(col2),(col3)
font=(font1),(size1),,(col3),(col2),0.01,0.01
text=(range1),(text1),(frame)
font=(font1),(size1),T,(col1),(col2)
text=(range1),(text1),(frame)
end

[all]=1-{(number)}
=0,0,2,2
=0.05,0.05,0.5,0.75
=1.45,0.05,0.5,0.75
=0.05,1.25,0.5,0.75
=1.45,1.25,0.5,0.75
=0.75,1.25,0.5,0.75
rectangle=[all],0,0,2,2,[back_[nation]]

outline=[all],[rank],,Arial,16,[front_[nation]],[back_[nation]],[out_[nation]]
outline=[all],[brutality],,Arial,16,[front_[nation]],[back_[nation]],[out_[nation]]
outline=[all],[count],,Arial,16,[front_[nation]],[back_[nation]],[out_[nation]]
outline=[all],[mental],,Arial,16,[front_[nation]],[back_[nation]],[out_[nation]]

if=[type]=spear
image=[all],spear.png,0.5,0.5,1,1,0,"T"
endif

if=[type]=inf
image=[all],inf.gif,0.5,0.5,1,1,0,"T"
endif

if=[type]=cav
image=[all],cav.gif,0.5,0.5,1,1,0,"T"
endif

if=[type]=bow
image=[all],bow.gif,0.5,0.5,1,1,0,"T"
endif

The unit data is pulled from a CSV that contains the below
Quote:

nation,type,rank,brutality,count,mental,number,points
human,spear,3,3,5,7,5,10
human,bow,3,3,3,7,5,15
human,cav,5,4,5,8,5,20
human,inf,6,4,6,8,5,25
orc,inf,4,4,6,6,5,25
orc,bow,4,2,3,6,5,10
orc,spear,3,2,3,6,5,5
orc,heavy,6,5,6,7,5,30

Andrea, thank you for sharing this wonderful tool with us!

EDIT: Figured out what I was missing for the alpha transparency, woohoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nini
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theTak wrote:
Nandeck does exactly what I want it to for the most part, but I've got a few hangups. Can anyone see my problem with the below? I'm continuing to plug away at it but end up with validation errors more than anything else.

The only error I can see is in this code:

[back_ork]=#088A29
[front_ork]=#000000
[out_ork]=#000000

You must change ork in orc, so it matches the .csv file.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Crouch
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n_and wrote:
theTak wrote:

The only error I can see is in this code:

[back_ork]=#088A29
[front_ork]=#000000
[out_ork]=#000000

You must change ork in orc, so it matches the .csv file.

DOH! blush fixed that, thanks!

I'm still only getting the first line of the data file to be created. I downloaded the example from the Nandeck site (tutorial D) and ran it unmodified and get the same results. It only creates what is first in the data file, not the whole set like in the example PDF, so I'm still missing something...

Thank you for your feedback, it really is appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nini
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theTak wrote:
I'm still only getting the first line of the data file to be created. I downloaded the example from the Nandeck site (tutorial D) and ran it unmodified and get the same results. It only creates what is first in the data file, not the whole set like in the example PDF, so I'm still missing something...

Maybe, is this option checked?

If the "Test link" option is checked, is loaded only one line from the linked file (for testing purpose).
If it's unchecked, the linked file is fully loaded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find it now (was on a link on my deceased computer) but there is a website out there that allows you to design your own chits (a few different templates for numbers and various pictures/symbols you can choose. Someone on the wargaming forum may have the link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Crouch
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
n_and wrote:
theTak wrote:

Maybe, is this option checked?

If the "Test link" option is checked, is loaded only one line from the linked file (for testing purpose).
If it's unchecked, the linked file is fully loaded.

That's the beast, right there. Sweet! I must I have clicked it at some point in my exploratory phase and never unchecked it.

Your endless patience has my merely mortal gratitude, the balance of my geekgold, and many trans-Atlantic good vibes!

Now to get these finished up and run it by some locals, then share with the class in the game design forum. Really excited about this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
manyslayer wrote:
I can't find it now (was on a link on my deceased computer) but there is a website out there that allows you to design your own chits (a few different templates for numbers and various pictures/symbols you can choose. Someone on the wargaming forum may have the link.

Chris, is this the one you're thinking of?

http://zho.berka.com/rules/war/tank_counter.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fee
United States
Corning
New York
flag msg tools
designer
No fair! They're using brains against us! We removed our brains to make room for guns and explosives!
mbmbmbmbmb
intrepideddie wrote:
manyslayer wrote:

Chris, is this the one you're thinking of?

Might be but I thought it could upload images as well. Might have just been wishful thinking as Zhodoni Base does sound familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suicide puppet
msg tools
mb
Quick question-is there a guide to the various tank,artillery,etc that lists the unit names? I have a pretty good eye for a few but many are outside my knowledge. The NATO symbols are easy to match but the silhouettes are a challenge.

And thanks for this link. Just what I was looking for. Now if I can just locate something similar for aircraft.

(EDIT: Meant to hit quote)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.