Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on a very successful and fun play of Railroad Tycoon by forum (see the thread), I'd like to set up a game of Railways Through Time. I will attempt to run it the same way ideogram ran that game. The only real variant we used was a modified auction for turn order that allowed each player to send a single bid for speed's sake. [article=8542230]It's described here[/article]. The beauty of ideogram's mechanism is that it's possible to play the game entirely on the site; there's no real need to set up a physical copy of the board to play along unless you want to. You can even take turns from your smartphone (several of us did)!

I'll be happy to describe the rule changes between the base Railroad Tycoon / Railways of the World for those who haven't played Railways Through Time before. The most important one is that delivering over other players' tracks is not permitted. This is offset by the fact that due to the flexibility of the "time warps" (which are really time and space warps), lots of cities are adjacent to lots of other cities.

I also have the Railways of the World Event Deck; if you have any interest in adding that to the mix (or not), say so!

Please post here if you're interested! Also, if you have any specific time era boards you'd like to see, mention that. Once we have a final count, I'll post the initial board layouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'll play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be interested but I only own RRT and Western US and the event decks. I am looking at the through time but not sure of it and would like to try it first but if I cant I understand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ceej - really enjoyed the other game we played and would be up for another "basic" game on a different map, but not sure I have the time to wrap my head around a new rule set right now. Let me know if you opt for another standard game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, Mark (and anyone else thinking about joining in) - FYI, the rule changes for Railways Through Time are pretty trivial. First is the "no deliveries on other players' tracks" rule. Second, there are "Time Warp" hex edges on all the maps. The rules for them are:

1. When building: it costs $1k to link to the warp, and you must stop building there. See this image (the red fuzzy hex edges are the time warps):

2. When delivering: you may move a goods cube through a time warp to ANY other link you have connected to a time warp on a different map. This counts as a single link (ie, 1 point, 1 engine level):

The only other detail is that you can't visit the same map twice on a single delivery, just like you can't visit the same city twice in the normal game.

The last rule change is for Major Lines. They're called "time lines" here, and there are one or two on every map (listed on the top of the map). The key differences are (1) they are only scored at game end, not during play, and (2) every Time Line you complete must be connected to each other via your tracks to count. If you complete 1/2/3/4/5/6/7 connected time lines, you get 1/3/6/9/12/16/20 points, so it's likely to be a fairly minor bonus. (I believe that the same time line CAN be scored by multiple players, but I'll have to check that.)

That really is it. It's a fairly small rules tweak all things considered.

I do believe, however, that ideogram was planning on setting up another Play by Forum game on either the classic Eastern US map or on the user-created Australia map as well,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can count me in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, we've got four confirmed players - Ceej, abodi, ideogram, and jpozsr - and one possible - manymoodys. The suggested setup for this game is to pick one more map than the number of players. So to start, I'll suggest the following five maps (I've linked to their images here on the 'Geek, along with the city distribution for reference):

The Stone Age (1 black, 1 purple, 1 blue, two gray)
Ancient Greece (1 black, 1 purple, 2 yellow, 1 red, 5 gray)
The Medieval Era (1 black, 1 purple, 1 yellow, 4 gray)
The Old West (1 black, 1 purple, 1 blue, 1 yellow, 4 gray)
The Future (1 purple, 1 yellow, 1 red, 5 gray)

If we get a fifth player, I'd add Egypt or Napoleonic so we had a third red city.

I would like to play redtrain Red. Please let me know what color preferences you have.

Do we have any strong opinions one way or the other about adding the Event Deck into the mix? Let me know. I'll plan to put the initial maps with cubes and the opening set of Operations cards out some time on Thursday.

Let's roll! cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ideogram wrote:
Will we be dealing out one operation card per player at the start and two per turn after that?

I'm happy to play with that variant - I do tend to prefer it. Any objections from the other players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never heard of cards being dealt out in that manner before. but i'm fine with it.

Never played with an event deck, so no idea on preference.

I normally play red, so i'm happy to take any other colour that is left over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys enjoy. Ideogram - let me know when you start the other. If you could geekmail me so I don't miss it that would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take Yellow

The random deck would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I've got the game all set up here and will shortly post the starting cards and maps.

For those who don't have the game, I suggest you read or at least skim EndersGame's A Comprehensive Pictorial Overview: Railways of the World successfully enters the Fourth Dimension by adding time travel. But, briefly, for your planning purposes:

1. I was wrong above - only one player may claim any given Time Line.

2. In the Operations Card deck, for each era in the game, there is:

- One hotel for a specific city in the era
- One "Service Bounty" for a specific city in the era
- One "Time Bounty" for the era

The Time Bounties award one bonus point for the first delivery to the specified era from some other era.

3. The Starting Bonus cards are the standard three for Railways of the World: "The Railroad Era Begins", "Speed Record", and "Passenger Lines", plus one more: "Time Blazer", which reads: "The first player to deliver a goods cube through time gains 2 additional points on the income track."

4. Take a look at the Scoring Track for this game - it is different than any other map. In particular, it only goes up to 60 points before looping back around. More interestingly, the maximum income is $20k from 30-35 points, not $25k like on most maps. So you may want to be a little bit more cautious than normal about issuing bonds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are also playing with the Event Deck. As above, I encourage you to read EndersGame's Ender's Comprehensive Pictorial Overview: Adding spice to my favourite train game! to get the idea there. But, again, briefly:

1. There are two spaces for Event cards to be played: The "Future Event" and "Current Event" spaces. At the beginning of the game, there will be one card in the "Future Event" space and none in "Current Event".

2. At the beginning of every turn (after the first), the "Current Event" card (if any) is discarded, and the "Future Event" card moves up to the "Current Event". A new Event card is drawn into the "Future Event" space.

3. Most cards only take effect when they are in the "Current Event" space. This means that, usually, you will see what is going to happen one turn ahead of time.

4. Some cards are marked "Future Event" - those cards take effect immediately when they are drawn! (And then do nothing while they sit in the "Current Event" space later.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like ideogram did, I will upload maps to my personal image gallery here on boardgamegeek.com. You can always go here to find the latest map. For now, there are two images there: The base map with no cubes on it, and the starting map will all cubes placed. (I included the base map for reference just in case a cube covers an interesting detail like whether a city has an exit track in a particular direction.)

Every so often I will post the latest map into the thread here as well. Like right now - here is the opening map, with cubes:

I'll post the "large" size, which if you zoom is just about readable while still fitting on a normal screen. You can always click the image to go to the image page, where you can get a crystal clear full-size (2670 x 2214) image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally, here are all the starting cards! I have made an executive decision: For this game, we will NOT play with the two-cards-per-turn variant after all. The reason is that the Operations Card deck is quite small in Railways Through Time - with 5 maps, it is only 27 cards (plus the four fixed starting cards). With the variant, 4 (1x number of players) would have been turned up at the start, leaving 23, which means we'd run out at turn 13. That seemed a little quick. By turning up 8 initially (2x number of players) and then 1 per turn, we won't run out until turn 20, which is likely to be longer than the game.

Anyway, the main goal of that variant is to introduce a little more variability from turn to turn. The Event Deck will achieve that more effectively, I think!

By the by, as indicated on the score track, with 4 players we will play to 13 empty cities.

Ok, here goes: The initial Operations Cards!

The Railroad Era Begins
Speed Record
Passenger Lines
Time Blazer
Service Bounties: Jerome (Old West); Pylos (Ancient Greece)
Hotel: Hogar (Stone Age)
Time Bounties: Medieval Era; Ancient Greece
Government Land Grant
New Industry
City Growth

And the initial Event Deck card:

Mountain Snow - "Any build that includes a mountain hex is a maximum build of 3 tiles."

Remember that this event will take effect next turn, so plan accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ideogram wrote:
Wow, that's beautiful.

Why thanks! I'm learning more about GIMP myself.

Hey, since you're up, ideogram: Would you mind running the blindrtbid auctions for this game? I'll do all the rest of the management stuff, but you already have the blind account set up and everything. If you'd rather not, no problem, I can set up an account too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, one final note: There are no Barons in Railways Through Time, so no hidden scoring bonuses. (A variant set of Barons has been proposed in this thread, but they are completely un-playtested and might be wildly unbalanced.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three additional quick rules clarifications, just in case:

1. Time Lines must be completed using only track in that era; you can't claim a single Time Line using any links through a time warp. So if you want to connect Argos to Potidea in Ancient Greece, you'll have to build around the lake.

2. In order to claim a Time Line after your first, it must be connected (through links you own, including links through time) to your first Time Line. (And, again, once a Time Line is claimed, no other player may claim it.)

3. Tracks built out of time warps must connect to a city. You can't connect two different time warp hexes directly. (Not sure why you would need or want to do that, but, you can't.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see the phrase "home boards" anywhere in the rules... under "Starting the Game", it says: "Players begin by picking which time period boards they wish to play with. The recommended number of time period boards used in a game is equal to the number of players + 1." So we don't pick one board apiece for our own use; instead we collectively pick a set of boards that will form the game setup. From that point on, it's a free-for-all; we can all build anywhere we want, just like the base game.

I asked if anyone had any preferences for the eras to use in my initial message, but since nobody said anything I just picked these five because they looked fun (and had a reasonable distribution of city colors). I probably should have been more clear about what I was asking; sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming I'm not missing something about these "home boards", then it's time to send your opening bid!

Please send a private GeekMail to:

R T
msg tools

... just click on the little envelope there. Your bid should be something like "4 / 3 / 2", which is the number of dollars you would spend to go first / second / third. (There's no reason to bid for fourth position.) When you send the GeekMail, also leave a note here on the thread that you have sent your bid in.

Once all four players' bids are in, ideogram will read them and calculate who gets to go in what position, and how much they spend. For each position first / second / third, the winner will be the highest bidder, and they will spend $1 more than the second-highest bid for that position. If there is a tie for a position (including $0 bids), the winner is the person who was closer to last in player order the previous turn. In that case I believe the player pays their full bid price.

Note: When sending bid GeekMails, please include "Railways Through Time" in the subject line, because I suspect ideogram will also be handling the bids for his upcoming Railways of the World game via the same GeekMail account...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh! Just noticed something interesting while trying to decide where I want to build first. All of the Service Bounties in this game are gray cities. That means they'll need to be Urbanized before anyone can claim the bonus. Oh, as a note, all Service Bounties are 4 bonus points (the base game has some 3-point and some 4-point bounties).

Also, just a reminder: The Time Bounties are 1 bonus point to the first delivery into an era through time, not just the first delivery on the given board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poskin
United States
Sauk Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have sent in my bids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ideogram wrote:
Hmm, so it is possible for more than one player to start on the same board. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Not only possible but likely, I suspect. And anyway, in this game system there's no requirement for your tracks to all connect to each other, so where you "start" doesn't really matter much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ideogram wrote:
We need an initial turn order in case there is a tie during the initial bid. Random would work.

Random would be fine, if you want to draw our names from a hat. Or go by order we signed up - me, abodi, you, jpozsr. (Being first is a slight disadvantage so I'm not setting myself up or anything.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hillery
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sent in my bid!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [17] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.