5 Posts

Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: Some questions about Kingsport rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gábor Koszper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played one session with Kingsport and only one time did we draw an aquatic monster, and it didn't get near any water. Do I see right that the only chance of monsters appearing in Kingsport is when an aquatic monster swims there from Arkham? (Assuming we only use the Lurker at the Threshold expansion.) And when there was a danger of rifts opening, one detective travelled to Kingsport and hold the rift in check, so we never even saw a rift open. So the rifts didn't pose any threat to us. (We came up with the idea to clear only every other rift progression bars, so only half of the possible Mythos cards caused new progression markers.)

So, my main questions are:

Is it normal that there are no monsters in Kingsport?

Do I understand right, that the town of Kingsport is mostly about drawing many location cards?

Is it really this easy to hold the rifts in check? Is it a big deal when a rift opens?

Or is there something I didn't take into account?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, you are correct, Kingsport is a boring place.

Flying monsters might land on Kingsport streets, there is some encounter / mythos cards that will add or move a monster or two into Kingsport, but that is rare too.

A rift opening would be bad news, but it should not happen if someone keeps them under control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rifts don't show up much; but occasionally, an investigator in Kinsport will get knocked out or driven insane, which puts the investigators behind in controlling them.

There's a Rumour that, if failed, opens all three rifts. You can gamble on getting an ally by adding two tokens to the track. I'm pretty sure there's a Mythos that opens one rift.

What it really does is lessen the number of investigators by one. If you're playing an eight-player game, that's inconsequential. In a three- or four-player game, it tightens things up quite a bit.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To make it a bit more interesting, and realistic given the premise behind Kingsport...the Rifts open in the city of Kingsport based on the location of the last placed Rift Marker. I've played this way for the past eight games, and while there's the ocassional open Rift, just having the possibility makes "Rift Duty" a bit more challenging and fun for the Investigator who traveled there in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gábor Koszper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, thank you.

I just realized that similarly to flying monsters, hounds of Tindalos can go over, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.