$10.00
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I had it coming. I mean, it was my idea to play this scenario again.

I put my Lancers into line formation, to better whack the infantry hiding in the inn.

Round 1

Used command 3 for Smalljon and the riders, rode up to the inn, and attacked the infantry. I immediately used Smalljons commit ability to rally.

Lannister moved some green cavalry across western ford.

I attacked with blue cavalry, killed one infantry, pursued, and brought Gregor to reduced strength.

As you can see from the image, we used Lancers instead of Winterfell Riders for Smalljon. That was an error on our part. Using the correct unit type makes Stark just little more weaker, so using Lancers instead is probably a good thing in this scenario.

Tyvin's units crossed the fords, and I moved Smalljon to prevent or at least delay them from getting to the exit points.

Round 2

At the start of round 2, Lannister used Tyvin's commit ability to move one cavalry unit east off the map. Duh. Keeping Tyvin's commit ability in mind and trying to prevent Lannister from using it toward his victory condition is extremely difficult for the Stark player.

Trying to at least delay a second unit from leaving that way, I commanded my archers to block that exit.

Lannister attacked Smalljon with his red cavalry, and actually managed to capture him:

At this point, I lost any remains of reason, and practically self-eliminated my cavalry in the inn by parting from Gregor, and attacking the other infantry (still stalwart). After the parting blow and the counterattack, my riders were gone.

Lannister moved Tyvin toward the western exit point, and I made another severe error in not rallying my remaining cavalry for a last attempt to stop him (I did have a valor token).
Instead, I just moved my Kennelmaster unit onto the exit point.

Round 3

Too late, I eliminated the green cavalry next to the inn. I should have done that before attacking with the Lancers inside the inn, since the Lannister units would not have been stalwart in this case.

Tyvin rode toward the exit, rolled 3 hits against the Kennelmasters, and pursued off the map - instant victory for Lannister.

--

After this replay, I have to admit that this scenario is even harder for Stark to win than I thought before. The trouble is that if Stark commits all his forces against the inn to get two Lannisters out by round 3, the field is wide open for Tyvins forces to call for help, fulfilling the other victory condition.
Tyvin is really a beast here, especially his commit ability, which is very hard to counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm always scratching my head when I look at this scenario. Those exit points just seem way too difficult to defend against all that Lannister Cavalry.

Thanks for the report!

Any suggestions to help balance the scenario, maybe require 3 units or eliminate one of the exit points?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would maybe alter the inn-condition. Lannister only gets the strategic marker when holding all three hexes of the inn, for example, or lannister needs five strategic markers to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replacing Tyvin by Addam also comes to mind. Though it's nice of course that Tyvin is used at all in these extension scenarios (in contrast to Eddard).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about getting rid of the exit point that nearer to the Inn? I haven't played this one, so I'm speculating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.