$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Ogre» Forums » General

Subject: BGG Promo Sheet #1: Scenario Designer Toolkit... submit your ideas! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a good number of votes in on what you guys would like to see on the BGG promo sheets, and two clear winners are scenario-based units and terrain overlays. So, it is pretty clear that one of our promos will likely be a sheet of cool new stuff to include in future scenarios!

Steve has agreed to formulate rules for any new ideas that are generated, provided he likes the idea to start with, so there's potential to add some cool new stuff! Use your imagination, and if Steve thinks it's cool, your idea could make the cut!

For example, one idea that is likely going to make the cut is a dam overlay. This overlay would be placed on a river hex, and come complete with rules for use.

This thread is to post any ideas you might have for stuff that you'd like to be able to include in a scenario or build a scenario around. The suggestion can be anything from more terrain overlays to new units or buildings. Really, your imagination is the limit! If you have any idea for the rules for your suggestion, feel free to expand on that as well. Looking forward to seeing what the BGG community is able to come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing immediately jumps to mind. Of course that doesn't mean it's a good idea, it is 1am after all. laugh

There was an old N64 video game called Blast Corps. The premise was that there was a runaway nuclear missile carrier on autopilot, and any kind of collision would trigger the nukes. Your job was to clear a path for it so it could reach it's programmed safe detonation zone.

I can imagine quite a few cool scenarios that could be built around a nuclear missile carrier, runaway or not. And we're not talking about those wussy tac-nukes, we're talking real nukes.

What do you guys think? Is this workable? Could you think up some cool scenarios (possibly with our cool new terrain) using a delicate nuke carrier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fury
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I would like to see a giant radioactive lizard and/or giant space alien to do battle with. It could have similar specs to an Ogre but maybe "scales" instead of treads and "fire breath" instead of a main gun.

That could lead to some fun scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carroll
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Assorted configurations of hexside overlays that can be used to represent ridges or ravines or the like. They could be added to specific hexsides or randomly or at discretion of players to add variety and new challenges to any scenario.

Also, we need engineers and the things they build, if they are not already included elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi Mims
United States
Negaunee
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I SJ's doing the rules Ogrethulhu... ANYTHING with Ogrethulhu...

Now on to realistic ideas...

Something naval would be awesome. Looking at Dans idea... I think it'd be cool to have a scenario about a run-away unit with some sort of very simple movement pattern... *grabs GURPS Ogre* HARMONY 16!

>ANALYSIS OF
>OF HARMONY 16

>CURRENT STATUS:
>AWARE, COMM OK,
>NO CHASSIS
>POST TRAUMATIC
>STRESS DISORDER
>AND DEMENTIA

>SUBJECT THINKS
>ITSELF TO BE A
>STEAM-POWERED
>BATTLEWAGON IN
>THE LATE 19TH
>CENTURY, SENT
>TO PACIFY THE
>AMERICAN WEST

>RECOMMENDATION:
>INCURABLE BUT
>DO NOT SCRAP
>DELUSIONS MAY
>HAVE MEDIA
>VALUE.

p.120

It's no Ogrethulhu, but it'd still be totally awesome, whether following some AI scheme or run by a player... though I think that if it's crazy, it should be literally out of control. I love this book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Real Stabliser
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scenario Designer Toolkit eh...
That sounds very interesting.

Scenario design probably needs quite a bit of human touch then quite a bit of play testing. Neither of which are the sort of thing that can be included on a countersheet, so what can you do to help scenario design on a counter sheet/terrain overlay?

Well, for any new units that do appear on a countersheet perhaps a points value could be printed next to them on the sheet.
Maybe group some counters together on the sheet and call them a squad, platoon or company depending on numbers etc (I've not read up on unit composition in ogre lately)
Also perhaps indicate the rank of the officer that commands that number of units.

Battletech used to show lots of command structure diagrams in their material even when the situation only involved a lance of 4 mechs on each side of the battle. It added a little to the story.

Use of the NATO unit / company / division type symbols might help.

A website (or a special new place at bgg) that holds scenario details including each sides points values, initial setup and logs of results could be useful for playtesting especially if the points values can adjust to balance depending on averages of previously recorded results - If it can also link scenarios to form a campaign that too might be useful in encouraging scenario design.

I hope this is useful, failing that, easy to ignore. They're just thoughts that leak out of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi Mims
United States
Negaunee
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another idea... innocent bystanders. Perhaps a rescue mission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
stabliser123 wrote:
Scenario design probably needs quite a bit of human touch then quite a bit of play testing. Neither of which are the sort of thing that can be included on a countersheet, so what can you do to help scenario design on a counter sheet/terrain overlay?

Basically, the idea is to crank out a few cool new features that could be the highlights of some future scenario designs. New terrain features, buildings, units, etc. Steve would outline how these new elements work, and people could build scenarios including them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
D351 wrote:

I said it before, but...orpahange!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Downloading at 56 Kbps. Reading at 0.2 Kbps
badge
OGRE 6e at last!
mbmbmbmbmb
[geekurl=http://www.sirdinglydang.com/TBCI.htm]The Bitter Canyon Incident[/geekurl] was a fan produced scenario I helped to play test (and I spent a summer cleaning up the Gamebox graphics). I thought it was lots of fun and involved a whole list of generic extras that might do well in other scenarios.

Administration/Laboratory complexes
Manufacturing Plants
Fuel Refineries
Drilling rigs/Mineshaft Heads
Launch Pads (for space probes rather than ICBMs)
[geekurl=http://asd.gsfc.nasa.gov/archive/sm3a/art/floridatoday/11-14/Crawler.jpg]Launch Crawlers[/geekurl]
[geekurl=http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/facilities/vab.jpg]VAB[/geekurl]/Missile Storage Silo.

As for overlays:
Hills
Mountains
Dam (already suggested by I can't find the link)
Also, narrow road/rail pieces to lay over other terrain and tunnels for the hills and mountains. This would require some straight, some 60' turns and Y-junctions (180/60 L/R and 120/120/120)

Aaaaaand time for bed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi Mims
United States
Negaunee
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnakinOU wrote:
D351 wrote:

I said it before, but...orpahange!

And I totally agree. Though, in terms of scale, I'm not sure how much sense an orphanage would make. It seems that it'd need to be something bigger, or at least more important/heavily-populated... Perhaps there are civilian shelters of some sort, where whole city populations are concentrated... Now, I think I'm just getting sadistic, but the shelter idea makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bohm
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Some sort of wall or fortified wall (or possibly the Great Wall).

A bridge (I know some custom maps had it but not sure if any official release has it.)

Minefields (I think Ogre mini's had them?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hidden objectives of some sort - a consistent value on the front, and different values on the back, so the other player can't tell which one is the "real" goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd the idea for spaceport-- and it should be more than just one hex, look how big KSC is, use that as a model.

Government complex

Not sure about rail lines, the maps already have them, and more rails would chew up a huge amount of units to cover any meaningful ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An automated mining vehicle. Possibly the size of an Ogre, but with no weapon save for maybe a secondary battery (Mining laser) and the ability to ram like an Ogre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drop troops that can enter anywhere on map (with some random drift). Possibly from a 3rd faction or merc group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi Mims
United States
Negaunee
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
An automated mining vehicle. Possibly the size of an Ogre, but with no weapon save for maybe a secondary battery (Mining laser) and the ability to ram like an Ogre.

This sounds like it has some potential. I imagine it wouldn't be as smart as an Ogre, though I don't know what the mechanics for that would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never Knows Best wrote:
Some sort of wall or fortified wall (or possibly the Great Wall).

Possibly a fort itself, with some offensive firepower, but no ability to move. Possibly with Ogre like stats, DP instead of treads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there tokens for something like the Great Wall of China?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a tornado? Its direction of movement could be based on a die roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bunkers / emplaced positions for tanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

That would be the revetments built by engineers, two wonderful things from Ogre Battlefields that will hopefully show up in the 2013 expansion.

galfridus wrote:
Bunkers / emplaced positions for tanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As suggested in another thread, a giant mutant (there are a lot of nukes being thrown around) fire-breathing monster. Sure it's not really thematic, but it's fun and when has SJG ever shrinked from fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

That would be the revetments built by engineers, two wonderful things from Ogre Battlefields that will hopefully show up in the 2013 expansion.

Speaking of, engineering vehicles would be cool. Not the engineering/recovery Ogre, but a large wheeled/tracked vehicle that would be use din conjuction with engineers or as a scenario device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
As suggested in another thread, a giant mutant (there are a lot of nukes being thrown around) fire-breathing monster. Sure it's not really thematic, but it's fun and when has SJG ever shrinked from fun?

There's Ogrethulhu and there have been Ogre vs. Godzilla articles in Pyramid, etc., so it's not a taboo subject. There's a strong argument for not putting that particular fun in the box, though, because it's not "canon". I would feel funny if it were in the box, though I will happily admire folks who play those games.

Ogre is hard sci fi. Ogre is SATNUCs and gauss cannon, not mega-deth laser cannon. Ogre is ECM and millimeter radar, not skulls and cleavage. So while I love as much as anybody adding Godzilla where he doesn't belong, I'm not disappointed he's not in the actual box.

We just need to make sure the Ogre vs Godzilla rules are available to everyone. Oh, wait, Google tells me they already are!

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/articles/pyramid/godzilla.html

So all we need is someone to whip up a constructible Godzilla and we're ready to go! I think there's a PnP game around here somewhere with Godzilla, we can borrow that piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.