1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Arkham Horror» Forums » Variants

Subject: Arkham Nightmare Dreamlands expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Having only fairly recently discovered this forum, I thought I'd share with you what I've been working on over on the official Fantasy Flight forums.

It's a large box style expansion (similar scale to Dunwich and company) based on the Dreamlands called Arkham Nightmare. Its designed to be playable with only the board and three decks of 24 small sized cards, so hopefully reasonably modest in terms of printing and so forth required.

I've recently finished the first version and started serious playtesting with my friends, so I thought I'd share it on here and see what everyone else thinks about the rules and mechanics. I should get organized enough to post the rest of the files in the next few days, and to start here is the rulebook.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/Arkham%20Nightmare%20Rules%...

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Thornton
England
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that looks pretty awesome!! Nice one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio Virzo
Italy
Latina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that some locations have pictures of Magic:The Gathering cards... Am I right? :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I tip my hat to you! This is by far THE most interesting fanmade expansion I have seen! Well, for me, anyways...

I'm really looking forward to all the nice and shiny files...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks amazing, honestly, but it's too much of an ink sink.
I would have bought it from you had you sold it.Well done on the effort though.

I had tried printing fanmade expansions before,(for Talisman) but it never came out the way it was supposed to look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply beautiful dude, well done! I have had the files for my own dreamlands expansion tucked away for several years that myself and a chap called Jay worked on (he also helped me with my Migo Prequel expansion found elsewhere on these boards).

One thing I would like to see is the Dreamlands have more of an impact onto the waking world - we envisaged a track of sorts that swung between Nightmares and Restful sleep that affected the doom track etc...

Our never finished draft looked like this:

But yours is much better!

Cheers, Hal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to get home from work and start working on this. (And then get my group together and play it!) Beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow this looks cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Thanks you all for the kind words! And in return for polishing my ego, your reward is the next installment...

The Board (1 and 3 piece)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/Dreamlands%20Board%20%28one...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/Dreamlands%20Board%20%28thr...

The investigator cards (Dream Items, Gifts, Ascended and Dream Death)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/Investigator%20Cards%20%28A...

I should point out that, especially with the investigator cards, any specific criticism about certain things being too good/weak/boring/could be cooler is greatly appreciated, this is all still under development, especially the small cards.

@Jools Yeah, lots of the locations are from Magic, and the same is true for quite a few of the items, I must confess. I've even got a forest, a mountain, another mountain, a swamp and an island, but none of the plains were appropriate. Magic has good art. What can I do?

@Aiborne Interesting board. I note your Kadath is my Monastery of Leng as well. So in your version you moved to the Dreamlands via other worlds? It's been suggested that I should include that as an alternate way of getting to the board as well as sleeping, did you have any experience with how well that worked?

Also, what were Thule and Commorion?

Finally, I should point out that I especially appreciate your criticism because Vermont Horror was, as I have mentioned elsewhere, absolutely fantastic, and a big impetus in getting me to make this.

@Magmaxtic The idea behind putting the locations and nightmare cards on tables is that they didn't need to be printed en masse, mimizing how much paper you go through. For the version I'm playtesting with, other than the board, I printed just the items, gifts and plots, which only took about 10 sheets of A4 and a couple of hours gluing.

It's still a fair bit of work, I concede, but it's as minimal as I could get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To the idea of incorporating the Dreamlands Other World into your design - maybe you could combine it like this:

Quote:

AFTER an investigator has had an encounter in the Dreamlands, he can make a Lore -1 check, to see if his body can adapt to the strange Geography of the Dreamlands. What happens, depends on the result of the Throw:
0 successes:
The investigator's mind is not in the right state to fathom the strange undercurrents of the Dreamlands. He remains afloat on the currents of Dreams, getting swept from place to place without control. Meaning that he will continue on the Other World spaces. He can again make another attempt after the next encounter.
1 success:
The investigator's mind slowly adapts to his malleable surroundings. Place him on the "Dreaming" space (no encounter this round). In the following round, he will have an encounter there (if this fits; if not, just draw a Dreaming encounter card in the following round and place him at the mentioned location (where he will have an encounter).
2-3 successes:
The investigator's mind is uniquely able to understand the geography of the dreamlands. Draw a "Dreaming" encounter card, and place the investigator at the location mentioned (no encounter this round). If no location is mentioned (I don't know if this can happen), treat him as if he had only 1 success.
4+ successes:
The investigator seems to be one of those remarkable individuals whose Realworld self seems to be a Dreamself that transgressed the border into Waking. As such, the investigator is placed at his choice of stable location - either Dyath-Leen, Inquanok, Celephais, the Enchanted Woods or the Abyssal Peeks (no encounter this round).

An investigator that was delayed is also delayed in his new location.
An investigator that visited the Dreamlands without Sleeping will not experience Dream Death when dying - he is devoured instead.
Also, an investigator can visit the Dreamlands this way even if he has experienced Dream Death before. However, any encounter or situation that either would usually let him experience Dream Death or would lead to him waking up instantly results in him being devoured instead.

An investigator that wants to exit the Dreamlands can do so only in a stable location. There, he will have to make a Lore -2 check INSTEAD of having an encounter, to see what happens:
0 successes:
Nothing happens. You stay in the Dreamlands and have an encounter at your location.
1-2 success:
You try to find your way home. Strangely, the way seems to be winding, and not at all straight. Place the investigator on the first Dreamland Other World space (even if there is no open gate - no encounter this round). In the next round, he will move to the second space, and onwards back to Arkham, as usual. He then can try to close the Gate.
3+ successes:
The way back seems easier than the way into the Dreamlands. Place the investigator at a corresponding location in Arkham as follows:
Enchanted Woods - Woods
Abyssal Peeks - Black Cave
Dyath-Leen - River Docks
Inquanok - Independence Square
Celephais - Library
(no encounter there)

If the returning investigator is placed on a location with a monster, no checks must be made at this moment.
If the returning investigator is placed on a location with a Gate, he will either be immediately sucked through to another World (if NOT Dreamlands gate), or he will be able to close it in the next round (if Dreamland gate), as if he just returned from the Other World regularly.

That's how I would implement it.
But I don't want to impose on your fantastic ideas. Looking forward to playtesting it, although that might take some time...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All the cards look great- (haven't read many yet, to avoid 'Spoilers')Really looking forward to this...

So the Encounters are gonna be on tables to save paper?

Will there be new Monsters? This is a perfect excuse to have new Monsters that are exclusive to the Dreamlands board (cause there's no way to get homemade monster tokens to feel identical to FFG-made ones)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Firstly, Plot Cards ahoy!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/Plot%20cards%20%28Arkham%20...

@Dumon

Those seem to require some pretty spectacular Lore... 4 Successes!

I've fiddled around with some versions on moving back and forth and my playtesters have figured that moving from Arkham to the Dreamlands or vice versa is already pretty easy - requiring only a clue one way, and nothing at all the other way. That is to say, if you want to go to the Dreamlands, there's no advantage in walking into the OW as opposed to just sleeping, so it never happens.

What there IS an advantage in is leaving the Dreamlands board for OW's, as it saves you time (also, you tend to accumulate a lot of clues in the Dreamlands Board it is nice to spend to seal as quickly as possible). We used Dumon's rules allowing a sleeper in the Dreamlands to "awake" to the OW instead of their location if they roll enough successes, and is it somewhat useful.

Currently we are saying that if you are in the North (Monastery, Sarkomand, Inganok) you go to Plateau of Leng, East (Celephais, Oriab, Forbidden Lands) or West (Sarnath, Dyath-Leen, Enchanted Woods) you go to the Dreamlands, and Underworld is to the Abyss.

Incidentally, we don't use Kingsport, because it sucks, so no Underworld or Kadath Other Worlds.

Still needs some testing, but it might wind up in version 2

@Thoth

Encounters are gonna be on tables and cards, so you can pick which you prefer. I don't really want to spend time printing a jillion cards myself till the encounters are finalized anyway, and there is still some playtesting to do, so I'm recommending the tables.

As for monsters, I did consider that. For the first version, it's simpler just to use regular monsters, but I'm considering making some special ones in a later edition.

I'm thinking of what I do for Innsmouth, which is to have a special cup composed 50/50 of special Innsmouth thematic monsters (with a symbol on them so they can be distinguised) and regular ones drawn at random from the normal cup at the start of the game. If you don't like mixing components the same works if you draw one from normal cup, one from special...

I've also had a reasonably tricky time figuring out what the monsters would be - most of the Dreamlands monsters are already in the game... Any suggestions? What I've got on my list of possibles so far is...

Copies
Gug
Ghast
Ghoul (Although possibly not, the Ghouls are mostly friendly, unlike Arkham)
Moonbeast
Dhole
Leng Spider

New
Different type of Gug
Different type of Moonbeast (Abducty one?)
Shantak
Zoog
Men of Leng (Maybe a more feral one and a disguised one that abducts?)
Cats from Saturn
Beings of Ib
Voonith
Haemophore
Wamp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Adlphophage:

Yes, you are right, there is proficient need of Lore to get to or from the Dreamlands without sleeping. I figured that this way it would still be possible for an investigator to go to the Dreamlands if he had experienced Dream Death, but with the additional danger of dying there. Once there, due to the enticing nature of the Dreamlands, however, it would be really difficult to get back. However, this probably would need some playtesting and tweaking. I realize 4 successes is a lot, and maybe it is too much

Also, I did not want to make return from the Dreamlands easier. That would mean that a player character could go to sleep, wake up in the Dreamlands, do a stint there, and then return via a gate, thereby getting the additional possibility to close said gate. This I would judge as making it too easy. However, the locations for non-sleep Dreamland return were chosen so as to be compatible with the original board (no expansions needed).

However, I realize that it makes sense thematically to include the Abyss, Underworld, Kadath and Plateau of Leng other Worlds, but then again, this would either need the expansion (as you mentioned), and would further complicate things (even with Abyss and Plateau).

I'm glad that you like some of my ideas above! Always happy to help, improve or whatnot...

However, I specifically like this expansion especially because it is really thematic, and has a great feel to it.
And this is why I don't like your idea of giving investigators who entered the Dreamlands via sleep the chance to leave them via the Gates. This would mean that their body would somehow teleport to somewhere else, or (worse) that their body would be in one location, and their dream-self wandering around in Arkham...
...if I misunderstood you there, please correct me...

Oh, and if you are working on a second edition, you might want to correct some spelling errors:
Dylath-Leen instead of Dyath-Leen
Inquanok instead of Inganok
...that is, if those were not design choices...

Anyway, I'd be delighted to help tweak the addition of the Other World(s). Just drop me a PM, and we'll arange things.

If not, no worries.
And once again, overall outstanding work!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and as to monsters, there are still more that you could include:

- The Thing Hanging in the Void (unique)
- Urhags
- Tick-Men
- Pirates (manning the Black Galleys)
- Haon-Dor (unique)
- Eidolon Lathi (unique)

I always wondered why Gugs were included as usual monsters, because they are unique to the Dreamlands, as are Moonbeasts, Ghasts, Leng Spiders and some others. Usually. Although infraction of the Dreamlands into the Waking world in Kingsport is somewhat thematically sound...

I would not use the Beings of Ib, as they are already used (as Spawn Monsters), and really are extinct. You could use Ghost Beings of Ib.

I also would not recommend creating a second variant of Gug or Moonbeast, as they are still as dangerous as in the Waking World.

Zoogs and Ghouls, however, should be varied, although you should exclude either Zoogs as monsters or the Zoog ally. I would opt for exclusion of the ally, as I don't see that as very thematical, anyway...

And Ghouls - they should not be included as monsters, in the Dreamworld, I think. Rather, they should play a part in interesting encounters, or as allies.

You said you do not use the Kingsport expansion, anyway. But your other comments lead me to comclude that you use the monsters of that box, corect?
Why not take the fitting monsters from Kingsport, the two Gugs from the original AH, and any monsters you make anew, to form the Dreamlands monster cup?
Although I would not use the Nightgaunts or Dhole (their Attack/Move Special Abilities do not work properly in the Dreamlands, anyways).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read many of HPL's "Dream" stories... but it'd be neat if you had special Beings of Ib that you could actually fight in the Dreamlands. You could have Nightmares, or visions of Shoggoths. Maybe even Keziah and Brown Jenkin, cause they appear in dreams...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne XO
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said we never made much progress and I seem to have lost / archived the files away somewhere:

Commorion was another CCG card, I forget where that was ;)

Cheers, Hal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
I haven't read many of HPL's "Dream" stories... but it'd be neat if you had special Beings of Ib that you could actually fight in the Dreamlands. You could have Nightmares, or visions of Shoggoths. Maybe even Keziah and Brown Jenkin, cause they appear in dreams...

If you want to stay really true to Lovecraft, there are no Beings of Ib anymore in the Dreamlands after The Doom that Came to Sarnath. However, the RPG offers the possibility to populate Sarnath with the Ghosts of Beings of Ib.
The nature of the Dreamlands actually has not much to do with regular dreams or visions. I grant you that investigators could have visions of nearly anything Lovecraftian, and do so in the stories. However, these do not take part in the Dreamlands, really. To enter the Dreamlands, there are not many possibilities - the sevenhundred steps (was it 700) was one way. The Silver Key was another. If there were more, I forgot them. However, only a very small amount of people can actually go there.
So the Dreams in the Witchhouse are not really taking place in the Dreamlands. Which is fine, since the whole Keziah Mason story does not really fit the mood of the Dreamlands...

Of course, you can do a lot, anyway. But it is my understanding that this expansion tries to stay as close as possible to the stories and the RPG.
...even with the (IMO) quite unfitting representation of Nyarlathotep...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
@ Dumon

Ah, I misinterpreted. Giving a Dream Dead investigator a way to get to the Dreamlands, albiet a risky and difficult one is quite different, and probably worth putting in. I'll test a bit more...

Dylath-Leen I will give you, but my copy of the DQOUK (Gollancz Necronomicon Anthology) definitely has the city being Inganok, not Inquanok...

I'm aware of the 700 steps thing, about a third of the Dreaming encounters have you move to the Enchanted Woods the normal way, but the idea is that the thinning of the veil has lead to people popping into the Dreamlands in unusual ways - mostly people who are not experienced dreamers and don't know to look for the stairs.

@ Airborne

That looks kinda like the city from the Mountains of Madness to me which was... by a Plateau of Leng, but not the same one from DQOUK, if I understand correctly.

Re monsters in general

The idea behind monsters in the Dreamlands board is that, obviously, Gugs and nightgaunts and so on are a dime a dozen in the dreamlands, and are mostly taken into account in the encounter cards.

The monsters that actually move around are not just rank and file monsters, they are devoted agents of Nyarlathotep who have a goal and some dark purpose - specifically, wandering into the vortex and adding nightmare tokens, which represents their evil schemes coming to completion, and also explicitly fighting players.who get near.

So this means that some craatures which, while definitely present in the Dreamlands, would not be appropriate as *Monsters* as they are unlikely to be either persuaded or bewitched by Nyarlathotep. Mostly the more feral things like Voonith or Wamps, I think.

On the other hand, while most of his servants would be from the Dreamlands, he could also presumably bring in servants from outside from time to time, like Shoggoths or Hunting Horrors or what have you. This would be the advantage of having a cup roughly half and half specific dreamlands monsters and normal ones, but it is a big complicated. Would it be easier just to have a dreamlands only cup with no normal monsters?

The Beings of Ib yes, I'm thinking would be ghostly ones (so probably physically immune), and would have some other name, like Specter of Ib or something to differentiate them.

Ghouls are in lots of encounters, mostly in the Abyssal Peaks already, and are mostly nice, although I suppose some evil culty ones are not out of the question.

Zoogs, I'd say it's reasonable that some of them are evil jerks and some are helpful such as the ally. I'm also conscious I need to have some weak monsters with low toughness, so the average scariness of a dreamlands monsters is roughly that of normal monsters, and little things like Zoogs or Ghouls would fit the bill.

I'm not familiar with The Thing Hanging In The Void, Urhags or Tick-Men? What are they/where are they from?

Also, I should point out the dreamlands monsters are quite low in priority at the moment, since I want to get the core rules properly tested before I add such luxuries
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Also, it seems people are a little unclear about what Dreaming does. All the encounters end with you moving to some location and having an encounter, sometimes with tests that determine where you go, sometimes with little bonuses or penalties. The Enchanted Woods are by far the most common place to wind up.

Some examples are...

Seven: In the Cavern of Flame the priests prepare you with knowledge of the Dream. Gain one clue, then move to the Enchanted Woods, and have an encounter.

Eight: You take a moment in the cavern of flame to gird yourself before heading into the unknown. Gain one sanity, then move to the Enchanted Woods and have an encounter.

Six: As you wake you realize you are teetering on the edge of a great abyss! Make a Luck (-1) check to balance yourself. If you fail, you fall into the Vale of Pnath and have an encounter. If you pass, move to the Abyssal peaks and have an encounter.

Four: You dream of a city as it used to be, a place of pride and purity, but when you arrive you see the ruin it has become. Move to Sarnath and have an encounter.

Ten: You dream of a basalt city, reaching out into a sea boundless with possibilities and perils. Move to Dyath Leen and have an encounter.

Also, here comes the table of Nightmare cards! I should get around to formatting the Location cards in a couple of days, and then it'll be done!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/Nightmare%20Cards%20Table%2...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Arkigh oham Nightmare Dreamlands expansion
Hi!

I'm glad that you like the idea of separate movement to and from the Dreamlands. Granted, this needs playtesting, but maybe it could be implemented. I myself would like the idea of the Other World and the separate board being connected. I had an idea, once, for separate Other World Boards for each, with different mechanics. Long time ago...

Several quick things:

Inquanok - I just checked, and my Harper Collins edition gives it as Inquanok. It's the version I am most familiar with in the RPG, also - it's in the separate Dreamlands book...

Mountains of Madness - they are not on the Plateau of Leng, nor do they have a connection to it. Being the scientists they were, the Elder Beings would have had no use for the Dreamlands, I reckon. The city is in the Antarctic...

700 Steps, Silver Key - I just mentioned them for Thoth Amons sake. Albeit I think the Silver Key is a Unique Item that could be changed. Like this:
When you sleep to move to the Dreamlands, skip the Dreaming space and move to any stable location of your choosing. Then discard Silver Key.

Monsters - although I understand your idea of Minions of Nyarlathotep doing his bidding, I would see this more as detrimental to the feel of the vortices. The Monsters are being sucked through, and it seems more involuntary. So I would say this should be monsters from the Dreamlands. After all, they are denizens there, and the Dreamlands suffer from Nyarlathoteps incursion, also.
Therefore, I would opt for a separate Dreamlands Monster Cup.

Ghostly Beings of Ib - thats what they are called in the RPG. To shorten it - why not call them Echoes of Sarnath? Or something similar?

Ghouls and Zoogs - I like that you included Ghouls in the Encounters a lot. Zoogs - well, they are more or less like "more intelligent" (??) foxes, so there could be more helpful and more "evil" ones...

Urhags - "Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath", in Inquanok: 'High over it's jagged rim huge ravens flapped and croaked, and vague whirrings in the unseen depths told of bats or urhags or less mentionable presences haunting the endless blackness." - More details fleshed out in the RPG

Tick-Men and Thing Hanging in the Void - probably creations of/for the RPG

And thank you for clarifying how the Dreaming space works. I figured that it would move the investigator to another space on the Dreamlands board, but wasn't sure if there would be a "Stay here next turn" encounter, too...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Adelphophage wrote:

I've fiddled around with some versions on moving back and forth and my playtesters have figured that moving from Arkham to the Dreamlands or vice versa is already pretty easy - requiring only a clue one way, and nothing at all the other way. That is to say, if you want to go to the Dreamlands, there's no advantage in walking into the OW as opposed to just sleeping, so it never happens.

That's not quite true:
* You might not have a clue to dream your way to the dreamlands.
* You might do a tag team where one investigators kills the gate guards and the other one seals the gate. If the fighter gets delayed, they might be better off going on Dreamlands duty than going LiTaS.

Adelphophage wrote:

What there IS an advantage in is leaving the Dreamlands board for OW's, as it saves you time (also, you tend to accumulate a lot of clues in the Dreamlands Board it is nice to spend to seal as quickly as possible). We used Dumon's rules allowing a sleeper in the Dreamlands to "awake" to the OW instead of their location if they roll enough successes, and is it somewhat useful.

Currently we are saying that if you are in the North (Monastery, Sarkomand, Inganok) you go to Plateau of Leng, East (Celephais, Oriab, Forbidden Lands) or West (Sarnath, Dyath-Leen, Enchanted Woods) you go to the Dreamlands, and Underworld is to the Abyss.

I'd suggest add little gate symbols to the side of locations where you can enter/exit the Dreamlands to/from OW. I'd also that you don't exit the gate directly, but move to the first section of that Outer World and that you can only move to that OW if you start your movement in the linked location. This gives you an alternative way of entering the OWs rather than killing the gate guards.

A first stab at OW -> Dreamlands might be:

Drealands -> Celephais
Plateau of Leng -> Inganok
Abyss -> Abyssal Peaks
Underworld -> Vale of Pnath
Unknown Kadath -> Unknown Kadath

Even though you might not personally play Kingsport, it's probably best to factor it in, as other players might.

Adelphophage wrote:

I've also had a reasonably tricky time figuring out what the monsters would be - most of the Dreamlands monsters are already in the game... Any suggestions? What I've got on my list of possibles so far is...

Copies
Gug
Ghast
Ghoul (Although possibly not, the Ghouls are mostly friendly, unlike Arkham)
Moonbeast
Dhole
Leng Spider

New
Different type of Gug
Different type of Moonbeast (Abducty one?)
Shantak
Zoog
Men of Leng (Maybe a more feral one and a disguised one that abducts?)
Cats from Saturn
Beings of Ib
Voonith
Haemophore
Wamp

Copies of existing creatures certainly makes sense. If you want a few more, go to: http://s1113.photobucket.com/albums/k506/jabie1/Monsters/

where you should find:

Men from Leng
Basilisk
Minion of Karakal
Magar Bird
Shantak
Zoog

(Geek mail with your email address if you want the .eon files)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacob Busby wrote:

That's not quite true:
* You might not have a clue to dream your way to the dreamlands.
* You might do a tag team where one investigators kills the gate guards and the other one seals the gate. If the fighter gets delayed, they might be better off going on Dreamlands duty than going LiTaS.

I don't know, but to me mixing the sleeper-way to the Dreamlands with the OW-way seems to me kinda wrong, thematic-wise. In my opinion, there should be a difference if you enter the Dreamlands awake, or in Dreamstate...

I just realized that Adelphopage could have used my ideas this way. No problem there, if you like it (as they are, after all, suggestions for YOUR expansion), but still, I don't think it should be mixed...

Oh, and to get back to the "it's already pretty easy to get there" argument - yes, you are right. And entering the Dreamlands as an Awake person is, if you use my suggestions, really pretty dangerous. But, as was said before, it is a possibility to get there when you already experienced Dream Death.
Additionally, it is possible this way to explore the Dreamland OW in order to close a gate, and do a stint there in-between, to deal with some nasty Plots...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PB Simp
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
look forward to trying this! When do you think you'd upload the location cards?

thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Locations cards all done up nicely for your perusal. By my calculations, this should be everything you need.

To use the tables, take a pack of playing cards with two jokers, and strip out the Aces, Kings, Queens and Jacks. That should leave 38 cards. When you need an encounter, draw one and match it to the encounter, red to red and black to black.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/North%20Encounters%20%28Ark...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/West%20Encounters%20%28Arkh...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/East%20Encounters%20%28Arkh...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/Underworld%20Encounters%20%...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/76125236/Special%20Encounters%20%28A...

@ Dumon

Dylath-Leen I'll fix in the next version, but I'm still not sold on Inganok/Inquanok... anyone else care to vote?

As for the Plateau/Mountains, They do mention it as being the "fabled plateau of Leng" a bunch of times. I figured that the wierdness beyond the City of the Elder Things behind the bigger mountains that Danforth was scared of was the Plateau. I reasoned that was why the Elder Things and their creations the Shoggoths had the diamond symbol of leng in the game.

I admit that this version of the Plateau is pretty inconsistant with the one from the Dreamlands (I suppose they're both cold and unpleasant), but maybe Leng crosses a few different dimensions? Anyway, pretty minor point!

With monsters being servants of Nyarlathotep or just being monsters wandering into vortices, I should point out that the nightmare track, while similar to a vortex, isn't one. Among other things, there's no terror increase when something falls into it, it is supposed to represent the plans of Nyarlathotep developing, which is aided by his servants being unmolested.

Also, now that I've finished formatting them, I've realized I in fact lied before, there is one dreaming encounter that doesn't result in you moving to a location, it delays you for a turn with insomnia, but it's 1/19, so pretty rare.

@ Busby Thank you for the monster ideas! It's a pity I already used the Men of Leng picture for Corb Jiin, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
So, has anyone had a chance to try the complete game? We've been doing a fair bit of playtesting ourselves, I was thinking of writing up a game or two so you guys can get a feel of how the expansion plays.

Any thoughts on what would be the best way to do that? Turn by turn, or just a more general account? Just the dreamlands portion, or the entire game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.