Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 3-player game of Dominion last night (wife, mom, and me) with all expansions mixed in but mostly featuring Alchemy. It's unusual for my wife to willingly play with the Alchemy cards (definitely a hater), but she saw plenty of possibilities with this randomly selected kingdom set:

Vineyard
University
Philosopher’s Stone
Familiar
Pearl Diver
Wishing Well
Woodcutter
Moneylender
Throne Room
Mine

Other than the inability to trash at will, I saw this kingdom set as a fantastic opportunity to action chain, with the end goal of buying Vineyards since they reward having lots of action cards. I thought about using Moneylender, but then I had another plan. I decided to keep the Coppers, buy a few Universities and use those to gain Mines. With both extra actions and Throne Room, I figured I could use the Mines repeatedly and turn those Coppers into Gold fairly quickly. I also bought a couple Throne Rooms and a couple Familiars. With no trashing, the curse-giving attack is a must. I bought a few Woodcutters as well for a bit of money, plus the extra buy is helpful when you have a Potion in hand. I used those extra buys to pick up some Pearl Divers when I had just a little bit of money left over. It’s not the greatest card, but at the very worst it replaces itself and contributes to the value of the Vineyards.

This strategy worked relatively well. The Throne Rooms worked awesome since I always had some actions in hand. My favorite turn was Throne Room - Familiar, followed by Throne Room - Familiar. Each opponent gained 4 curses that turn! I was able to pull off the Throne Room - Mine a couple times, but the mining of Copper to Gold didn’t go as smoothly as I expected. Picking up the Vineyards was also more difficult than I expected. I kept drawing Woodcutter without Potion or multiple Potions without Woodcutter. I should have started buying them earlier. Even one extra Vineyard would have been enough.

My wife took a similar approach, except for the Mining strategy. She went with Moneylender instead. Everything else was pretty much the same as what I did. Mom, who has a reputation for playing Big Money-type decks, bucked the action chain trend and didn’t buy many actions. She focused on treasures, including Philosopher’s Stone. She also took the moral high road and didn’t buy any Familiars. That came back to bite her as her deck became a dumping ground for Curses.

I was on the verge of a monster turn when my wife gained the last Pearl Diver to end the game on 3 piles (Pearl Diver, Curse, and Estate).

Final scores:
The wife: 28 (1 Province, 2 Duchies, 4 Estates, 6 Curses, 3 Vineyards worth 6 points each)
Me:24 (1 Duchy, 8 Estates, 3 Curses, 2 Vineyards worth 8 points each)
Mom: 16 (2 Provinces, 9 Estates, 11 Curses, 3 Vineyards worth 2 points each)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
You played familiar 6 times, your wife 3. How could your mom ended up with 11 curses? Without a moat/ambassador/masquerade you can't get more than 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
darthnice wrote:
You played familiar 6 times, your wife 3. How could your mom ended up with 11 curses? Without a moat/ambassador/masquerade you can't get more than 10.

Well technically you can always get more than 10 as long as it's 3+players by buying them but that's pretty unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
darthnice wrote:

Well technically you can always get more than 10 as long as it's 3+players by buying them but that's pretty unlikely.

True. I assumed that she didn't waste her extra buys on purple just because she likes the color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
darthnice wrote:
allstar64 wrote:
darthnice wrote:

True. I assumed that she didn't waste her extra buys on purple just because she likes the color.

Well you never know. Maybe she was possessed by someone... Nope never mind that card wasn't in either .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:

Yeah, it's out of whack. Human error. One of us forgot to grab a curse at some point, or mom grabbed an extra by accident. We didn't notice there were an odd number of curses left in the pile until the pile ran out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
darthnice wrote:
allstar64 wrote:
darthnice wrote:

Well you never know. Maybe she was possessed by someone... Nope never mind that card wasn't in either .

And even if she was possessed by someone and bought a Curse during the Possession turn, she would not get the Curse. All cards gained by the possessee get placed in the discard pile of the possessor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beaveman wrote:
allstar64 wrote:

And even if she was possessed by someone and bought a Curse during the Possession turn, she would not get the Curse. All cards gained by the possessee get placed in the discard pile of the possessor.

The Possessee does not gain any cards. The Possessor gains them instead. So, for example, if both players had Watchtower in hand, the one in the Possessor's hand could be used, but the one in the Possessee's hand could not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.