Subject: Stark Raving - The Lion and the Maiden rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having won this the first time we played through my superior tactics (that's what I think, at least), I was trying to see whether I would win in "reckless" mode, too.

Lannister put his Pikemen into Hedgehog formation (-2 dice attack - Pikemen formations are flipped in the rules).

Round 1

On my first command, my two green riders attacked the blue Lannister cavalry, and managed to destroy it, and even take one figure off Sandor Clegane's unit. Of course, this left my cavalry hopelessly exposed, and I expected to lose them fast.

Lannister advanced his crossbowmen and flanked my Riders using his Pikemen.

I advanced an infantry unit, and attacked the stalwart militia with Robb. I only scored two hits, and lost one figure in return. (I was probably hoping for two morale results and a pursue - as mentioned, I felt reckless). And the next attack be the Militia even brought him to reduced strength.

Our remaining commands were used to move units closer to the center. Lanister kept one command token to begin next round, and changed formation to Pike Square.

Round 2

Lannister used two command tokens to order 5 units (one unit and all surrounding units). Addam and two Pikemen units attacked Rickard with an 11 dice (and flanking, because of Addam's ability), and captured him.

My infantry responded with a 5 dice combined flanking attack an Addam, but did not get a single hit! In the remainder of the round, Lannister decimated my forces, while I continued trying to capture Addam (another 4 dice flanking attack, and one attack with Robb), but to no avail. I did bring him to reduced strength, at least.

At the end of the round, Lannister already had 4 to my 2 victory points.

Rounds 3 - 5

Sandor Clegany finally moved into the battle, and we just hacked at each other. Lannister managed to command one unit and all surrounding units once again (this is a very powerful card, if used at the right time). I was already weakened, and the dice were slightly in Lannisters favor, so in the end he won with 9 to 6 victory points. Robb was the only unit I had left.

Final thoughts: the Pikemen were more effective for Lannister than the first time we played. And Lannister very effectively used his command cards. As for Stark, just attacking all-out is not a good strategy - in fact, it's not a strategy at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

But, 11 dice between 3 blue Units? Even with the bonus dice for the Pikemen, that doesn't seem to add up. (*edit* Was it a coordinated attack?)

Nice to see a different result this time and a real slaughter, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three from Adam, and the Pikemen had three, plus one from formation, plus one from polearms. But just as i am typing this, i see the mistake, keywords work only for the main attacker, thus polearms should not have counted.

And there a new question arises: Should the formation be considered in coordinated attacks? Its a keyword, after all, i guess, but when not counting the bonus die for pikesquare, one should also not count the minus two dice from hedgehog. Thus, pikemen would be great in assisting while in hedgehog, basically ignoring the disadvantage of the formation...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Formations are Keyword Abilities and should only count for the Lead Attacker, so you would ignore both the benefits and the drawbacks and just use their normal attack Rank minus one. I think that you would still get a very good 7 dice flanking attack by leading with Addam's Unit. In this case, though, I might have attacked separately with each Unit, depending upon the formations.

Great to see that you guys are still playing regularly. Wish I could say the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, have to remmber that...
And today we replayed number two, next one will be 21, i am close to finished with painting the figures needed for that one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.