Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales & Legends is an expansion to the original Small World game, consisting of a deck of “event” cards. Before the game, you pick the events you want to use, either by recommended settings in the manual, or randomly. There is no event on the first turn, but you can always see the event for the upcoming turn. So, on the first turn, you know what will happen during turn two, and on turn two, you have a current event happening but also know what will happen on turn three, and so on. The events vary wildly in the extremity and randomness of their effect, but you always know at least a turn ahead of time what is going to happen.

To me, Tales & Legends is Small World Underground’s “Relics & Places” for the original Small World. I truly enjoy the base game and all of the unique races and powers, but I feel like the game by itself needs just a bit more oomph, something to make the board situations a bit more interesting – a bit more Cosmic Encounter, if you will. Tales & Legends does this in a different way than the Relics & Places, but does it just as well. If you play Small World in a serious manner, you won’t like this expansion. But if you like some chaos and laughter in your games, you won’t ever want to play without this.

That being said, I do have two complaints. A minor one is that the size of the cards is nonsense – they are the same 65×100 size as 7 Wonders, a card size for which few companies make sleeves, and no one makes them well. I don’t understand this, when as far as I can tell none of Days of Wonder’s other games use this card size. I would have liked to have seen Standard Euro-size cards as in Battlelore and Memoir ’44.

My bigger complaint is about a rule with the events. When an event calls for an auction, it is done via blind bidding. In the case of a tie, the shortest player wins. Seriously? I know I just praised this expansion for being a little zany, but this rule is more frustrating than funny, as ties are entirely possible. As most consider Small World to have a first-player advantage, a much more reasonable tiebreaker would be reverse player order, especially since the first player would have the first chance to take advantage of whatever they win in the auction. I’m not a fan of house-ruling games, but this is one what I have no qualms changing. However, it’s a complaint easily self-remedied.

My complaints with Tales & Legends are just minor niggles, far outweighed by what's added to the game, and I would never want to play Small World again without this expansion.

Originally posted on http://meepletown.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Robinson
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Review: Small World: Tales & Legends
Quote:
I would never want to play Small World again without this expansion.

Completely agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fer
Mexico
flag msg tools
Re: Review: Small World: Tales & Legends
I agree with the review. Especially with the part about the annoying size of the cards. Argh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Browne
msg tools
mb
Good review, just got it on amazon on your recommendation. Have to say i love the auction bit, I'm 5'9, most of my mates are over 6'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.