$10.00
Andrew Morgan
United Kingdom
Farnham
SURREY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've posted in the title ^

I currently have Dunwich, Innsmouth, Miskatonic and the lurker. We play with everything included in every game with the only variation being on whether we play with a Herald and if we do we use an Institution.

I do think the game is currently pretty balanced, we usually get a good mixture of everything over all three boards and we win *some* of the time which is all that matters.

My only question is about these epic battle cards, I don't know the rules for them as I don't have and don't want Kingsport but I do have the ones included in Innsmouth and Miskatonic. Battling the GOO is as hard as ever and they're pretty much the only thing I'd get Kingsport for as the rest I can pretty much live without. Is there anywhere I can get printouts of the rest or can someone let me know if it's possible to use what I already have and if so let me know how they work?

Also the only other expansion I'm looking to include in the mix is The King In Yellow. Considering how once I've got it it'll be included FOREVER is it a wise purchase for me?

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cathcart
United States
West Conshohocken
US
flag msg tools
Absolutely. I won't play without them. We rarely play with the Kingsport board but we always use Epic Battle along with the GOOs, investigators and monsters from Kingsport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a good way to do it.

Right after upkeep/trading/passing First player, ordinarily you'd just attack the AO. Instead, roll a die. If the result is a 1, draw a random Sinister Plot card, if any remain. Otherwise, conduct the round as you normally would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just to be clear, no it is not possible under normal rules, as you don't have the base epic battle card deck, however like Tibbs suggests, you could find a way to use them by making house rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Salamanca
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice? Get Kingsport. The extra board is a little on the sedate side, and we don't use it often, but the GOO's, Investigator and equipment cards make it worth purchasing... and you get the Epic Combat cards as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. The big expansions are worth more for everything they add, rather than the board itself which is entirely optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Radulla wrote:
My advice? Get Kingsport. The extra board is a little on the sedate side, and we don't use it often, but the GOO's, Investigator and equipment cards make it worth purchasing... and you get the Epic Combat cards as well.

And if you play thematically, Kingsport and the base game are the only boards you can play with any AO! goo

DH: Azathoth.
KIY: Hastur.
Black Goat: Shub Nigurath
Innsmouth: Cthulhu
Curse: Nyarlathotep
Lurker: Azathoth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Close! DH and Lurker are Yog-Sothoth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Corvid
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
Here's a good way to do it.

Right after upkeep/trading/passing First player, ordinarily you'd just attack the AO. Instead, roll a die. If the result is a 1, draw a random Sinister Plot card, if any remain. Otherwise, conduct the round as you normally would.

Wow. That's a really simple, elegant suggestion. I have Kingsport and even so I think I might go with this from now on.

My one complaint about the epic battle cards is that sometimes they just don't match the theme of the old one, and how I'd imagine the battle is fought. For example, why would Quachil Uttaus be using flying debris?

I like to imagine that for some of the final battles it isn't a Final Fantasy-style pitched battle but something more insidious, depending on the nature of the beast.

So yeah, your suggestion is a good way to keep the theme consistent. Kudos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed that you had Miskatonic as well.
How about, if you roll a 1, you draw a random Sinister Plot.
If you roll a 6, you draw a random MH Epic Battle card. Do not "draw another" immediately after as instructed; just do a normal battle round instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.