$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Crows» Forums » Reviews

Subject: "Can't rain all the time"...but you'll want to play this game rain or shine. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played this game quite a few times now and have enjoyed our time with it. Here are a few thoughts about the game that we like:

Theme/Style:
Being big fans of Poe and Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds we were both drawn to this game right away. The art style really works well with Crows. We like the overall vibe of the game world.

The Components
Top notch throughout. The box itself is built to last with plenty of room to hold all the goodies. The cardboard stock they used for the tiles are thick and well cut. The cool plastic "shiny objects" which the player uses as their playing pieces are neat and colorful. The crows themselves are actually made of wood. It also comes with a thick scoreboard to track the score. This game was built to last. Plus the game's instruction manual is thankfully well written (and offered in many different languages). The quality of this game really surprised us, especially considering the rather low asking price. Most impressive.

The Gameplay
The goal is simple: try to score the most overall points by attracting more crows to your "shiny object" than your opponents. The playfield is in grid form with tiles placed one after the other in rounds. First Player passes to the next player at the end of the round which opens the door for "take that" kind of play with key placements and usage of powers obtained during gameplay.

You can obtain "power" tiles which you can put into play, or hold for furture use, which can help your score and/or hinder theirs. You can cause a flock of crows to not move for a round which can keep them from scoring for your opponent for instance. Or you can cause your score to double in a position where it normally wouldn't. These types of powers and placements really balance out the rounds. Each round there is a "first player" which can be good and bad. Good because you can get first pick of where to place your tile and use powers but bad because the next player can place their shiny object in ways that can decrease your points, or use a power which negates yours, often both. Can be tense at times and it can get quite competitive.

Please check out their very well made introduction video posted right here on BGG "Valley Game - Crows Overview". The gameplay rules are thoroughly explained there in much finer detail using easy to understand visual examples. After watching that video I knew how to play the game before it arrived at my doorstep. Made teaching it to my wife much easier.

Overall Thoughts

We enjoy this game quite a bit and it comes to the table on a fairly regular basis. Clocking in around 30 minutes a game it fits right into the mix on game night. The game also includes a few variants which add to the fun. We enjoyed the one called "The Birds" which really ups the score count and offers variety.

The game is relaxing yet competitive, casual yet strategic, and above all else we feel its simply fun and worth your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know for a fact that this is the next game my wife wants. Not my first choice, but I think it would make it to the table at my house more than others so it might be worth it. Thank you for the review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll have a good time with it Brent. After you get a game or two under your belt you'll begin to see the strategic elements really well, shine. haha Timing the usuage of the various abilities at your disposal can be tricky and fun. Its not super deep or anything, but its got just enough meaningful choices to keep you involved.

Finding games that my wife and I both enjoy playing together can be a tricky endeavor. Thankfully for us we stumbled across this gem.

Another one we recently picked up was Cities. We love it too, take a look sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played only part of a game, but this is one I would like for my collection. My wife (who was playing with me) wasn't overly impressed, but we never got to use the special ability tiles and only played a few rounds.

Nice review - I think Crows is definitely a gem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kevin. Yes I agree, give it a few more rounds. At first you're just kinda going through the motions of laying down tiles and collecting the crows. But after we spent a little time with it, and began to catch on to the subtle strategies involved, it seemed to suddenly open up to us offering very tight scoring races.

Update sometime on your experiences with it when you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will indeed!

However, that won't be for a while. I just received 8 new games from a math trade, 1 from a normal trade and bought 1 new game so I'll be cooling it on the purchases.

However, if I find a trade....

You might be interested in Batt'l Kha'os. An excellent 2-player tile-laying game. My wife and I enjoy it quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to check that game out, thanks for passing that on. Always on the look out for good 2 player games (and solo games for that matter).

Oh I hear ya about the game overload. Just yesterday in the mail I received Carcassonne Big Box 3, Friday, San Juan, Double Agent, and Expedition Altiplano. If I had the cash I'd buy even more as the list of games I want to try is an ever growing beast! haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I may pick up Friday. It sounds really good and I'm always on the lookout for good solo games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.