BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: The NZ Military Board-gamers and History Group? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm been flirting with the idea of starting up a regular group in Auckland and/or NZ devoted to Military Board-gamers and those interested in military history. Some of the ideas I am considering are as follows:

The group is solely military board-gaming and history.
Meetings are pre-organised affairs.
Utilise a regular venue(s).
Have visiting guest speakers.
Military reading discussions and debates.
Theme meetings, eg Eastern Front or Napoleonic or ACW.
Plan and organise large scale multi-player games.
Develop ways to play some of those monster games in a military-like style (eg. OCS Baltic Gap played with Overall Commanders, commanders for different sectors and even a commander for supply purposes)
Encourage and introduce new people to military board-gaming.
Make it a professionally run group with the aim to have fun and broaden knowledge.

PM me if your interested or post a comment. If your not interested no need to post. If I get enough interest, I will hire a location (in Auckland) and set a date and will start. Life's too short to procrastinate. Costs should be minimal as there are plenty of locations in Auckland where a suitable space can be rented to a hobby group for a token amount. If there is already a group doing a similar thing (military board-gaming and Military history) point me to it, don't want to reinvent the wheel.

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stewart
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good - I would definitely be interested (esp. if it was central or eastern suburbs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hutchinson
New Zealand
Waitakere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Certainly interested in exploring some of these possibilities, time being limited with kids. While I have a wide interest as far as wargames go my poison is probably OCS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ching
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Interested..
Please contact if you get enough people.
Shane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Raven
msg tools
Yes I'm keen too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who have responded so far. Will keep you in the loop. At this stage still gathering names and will kick something off when time permits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Drake
New Zealand
Matamata
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi mate,

I'm moving up to Matamata in a fortnight and am pretty interested in your idea/group. Has there been any traction with it?

Also will looking for a regular game of ASL in the area if anyone is playing/interested in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
I'm not much of a tactical wargamer, Dale, but my wife and I will be moving back to Taupo early next year and I expect we can come up wth something that suits both our wargaming tastes. Maybe OCS? Regardless, I'm sure we'll get a bit of wargaming done. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
wolvendancer wrote:
I'm not much of a tactical wargamer, Dale, but my wife and I will be moving back to Taupo early next year and I expect we can come up wth something that suits both our wargaming tastes. Maybe OCS? Regardless, I'm sure we'll get a bit of wargaming done. arrrh

It'll be great to have you back in New Zealand! Russell has since moved to Tauranga, though...the lure of the warm beach has overpowered the shiver of the cold lake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Dale. Thanks for your interest. I have added you to the list of interested persons. I will post some updated information soon and pm everyone. I'm looking at an inaugural meeting in Central Auckland but I don't have a start date yet. In the meantime I'm gathering names of interested persons.

If you or anyone else are interested in a game let me know. We game once or twice a week and are currently into a few weeks of a Burma campaign. We are looking for some players for the following at the moment:

4 player Napoleon's Triumph
4 player Strike of the Eagle

We are also thinking about a game sometime this Labour weekend in West Auckland (possibly Sunday afternoon). If anyone is interested pm me if you would like to get together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Drake
New Zealand
Matamata
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah OCS. Been reading the 4.1 rules I downloaded a couple of weeks ago and grabbed a copy of GBII - who can resist the scope of it. Hopefully going to get a VASSAL game (and learn how to use VASSAL)going with a mate here in Wellington so hope to be familiar with rule set by then.

Burma looks like an interesting game and campaign.

A couple of friends recommended the series to me recently, I've never really looked into it before and have only just recently begun following the Consimworld thread. The Blitzkrieg Legend looks cool, I was interested in Case Yellow but thought if I could get to grips with OCS TBL would be a better game.

Cheers,

Dale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James A
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I am pretty busy at the moment, this concept does appeal to me. Maybe put me down as interested, although I can't make a firm commitment to attend.
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Shirley
New Zealand
North Shore City
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, another NZ OCS player to add to our small band of players, any chance I can convince you to move to Auckland
Seriously though we should see if we can get together some time, we could easily complete some of the smaller scenarios in day or medium sized scenarios in a weekend. I also own Baltic Gap which really is excellent too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Drake
New Zealand
Matamata
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Don't think I could afford to service a mortgage in Auckland anymore - too many kids.

Sounds good though; need to learn that rule set first, after I get up to the Waikato I'll be able to set up some solitaire scenarios and work it out.

Cheers,

Dale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M B
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keen to see this happen. Let me know when it does!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
dale168 wrote:
Yeah OCS. Been reading the 4.1 rules I downloaded a couple of weeks ago and grabbed a copy of GBII - who can resist the scope of it.

GBII is great, but I'd strongly recommend starting with either Baltic Gap, Korea: The Forgotten War, Burma, or one of the US Marine OCS titles for your first time playing. The flow of OCS, and the murderous supply rules, make playing it for the first time a singularly unintuitive experience, even for veteran hex-and-counter wargamers. It does help the rulebook is excellent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Larmer
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David,
I'll be a starter! I've been looking for a war boardgaming group.
How is the starters list and venues going? Being down in CHCH I'll need a bit of a warning order.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keen too and in Auckland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red63 wrote:
David,
I'll be a starter! I've been looking for a war boardgaming group.
How is the starters list and venues going? Being down in CHCH I'll need a bit of a warning order.
Andrew

Hi guys. Still getting interested names together. Hopefully come February we can kick things off with a meeting in Auckland. I will keep everyone updated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Dransfield
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be happy to provide space for games at BattleCry in February. We usually have a few players set up military/long play games that runs the weekend anyway. Organised by
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Stop the admins removing history from the Wargaming forum.
mbmbmbmbmb
. We could advertise this group idea to help spread the word through the convention stuff. Plus we do have an invitational Sat night games evening where daytime convention players will be able to attend which also might help with a meet up. Let me know if you are interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. This is a heads-up to the possibility of the first meeting of the group being held at www.Battlecry.co.nz in February at the ASB Stadium in Auckland. Unsure at this stage if it will be on the Friday evening the 15th or the Saturday evening the 16th. The format for the meeting is yet to be confirmed but I am in the process of getting a very interesting guest speaker. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, if you are at all interested in making this group successful please consider putting these dates aside to attend. I will pm everyone once details are sorted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
しんぶん赤旗
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OCS is starting to attract a following in CHCH too so if any OCS enthusiasts are down this way then don't hesitate to get in touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David and Natalie
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Snowman wrote:
Hi everyone. This is a heads-up to the possibility of the first meeting of the group being held at www.Battlecry.co.nz in February at the ASB Stadium in Auckland. Unsure at this stage if it will be on the Friday evening the 15th or the Saturday evening the 16th. The format for the meeting is yet to be confirmed but I am in the process of getting a very interesting guest speaker. I will keep you posted. In the meantime, if you are at all interested in making this group successful please consider putting these dates aside to attend. I will pm everyone once details are sorted.

I might be getting mixed up - it frequently happens - but I think the Friday night is the ball, is it not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Dransfield
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, there is a costumed Ball on Friday night. That's held in one part of the venue. We have a couple of other spaces elsewhere that could host this at the same time. I think Saturday night is also an option. We have our Invitational late night gaming on Sat too which may increase potential people to the meeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of confirming details with Karen but can advise that the speaker for the Saturday evening will be:

Lieutenant Colonel(rtd) Eric Stierna US Army. Eric has a bachelors in materials engineering and masters in computer science. He has served in various command and staff, training, and R&D positions during more than 19 years of active military service. Eric has experience with the testing and development of airborne flight instrumentation, manned RW/FW aircraft, unmanned air/ground systems, wireless networks, human computer interfaces, formal methods in software design, machine learning and natural language text parsing applications.

Eric has an interest in military aviation, cavalry operations, and the role of technology in military conflict. He will be talking on the following subject:

The Spencer Carbine - how this technology upgrade enhanced the firepower of the Union cavalry and two examples of the carbine's application in Civil War battles.

I will post further details about the format and other activities for the evening shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.