Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Jesse,
Some of the things you guessed at are true, and some not so much. I will leave it to everyone which is which. :)

You are right that I am responsible for designing everything in the Guadalcanal game. But that is just the start of the process. Once I submit the completed files to Uwe he then sends the firefights and rules to his own group of play testers for a review. That starts a multiple rounds of modifications and revisions to the rules and firefights until they are ready for publication.

While that is going on Uwe is formating the Guadalcanal firefight and specific rules into the firefight book, which has to be constantly revised for the modifications and revision that come out of the play testing. The firefight books are things of beauty, but they are time consuming to make with so many graphics to include. Then once the firefight book is done, it has to go out for proof reading, which could lead to more revisions, taking more time.

And as for the boards we all like so much. Well they are printed overseas, which takes more time for shipping and quality control issues to be resolved. remember what happened with the boards for SoTE? Uwe is that committed to quality control in all of the games he produces.

And the list goes on. One of the trade marks of Academy Games is the quality of their products. That takes time, no matter what the game is. And it takes money in every step of the process. A print run for 3,000 copies of a game can cost tens of thousands of dollars, which doesn't include the cost of development (like Uwe's new computer).

I suspect that Uwe inserted 1812 and SoTE in the queue before Guadalcanal to generate some cash flow, and to give me time to polish up Guadalcanal (which it turns out was a good idea, via the crap night rules I originally had :) ). And those games had their own production problems, which slowed down every thing in the queue behind them.

Guadalcanal has been a tough game to get right. The Japanese were so different than any other nationality in World War II that modeling them with minimum number of rules was a challenge. There was also the rules for night combat, banzai charges, amphibious assaults, and terrain that I had to develop without going ASL light on you. It was all quite the challenge for me when you consider that this is the first game that I have ever designed.

If the long time between game and announcement and publication is as bad of business practice as Nigel and Chris says it is then I imagine that Uwe will learn from that too. In the meantime I think we are better served in the hobby by giving Uwe some grace here. The games come out when they are ready, regardless of Uwe's intentions and expectations.

Thats my big 2 cents worth.

Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realise that it was Dean's project.

But even then it does still sound that Academy are the limiting factor at the moment. With the game apparently ready to go to print Academy manage to corrupt the data with a system update.

Wouldn't normally be a big problem but it sounds like Academy doesn't take backups of important data so it is a much bigger setback than you would normal expect.

Even then, it sounds like Academy now want to insert CoH 2e in front of GuadalCanal in the printing queue.

In Dean's posts it sounds like that because so much os the process is now in the hands of Academy he cannot reasonably predict when the game is likely to appear (even ball park).

I understand all that has been said, I just find it mind-boggling that a manufacturing company doesn't even have a ballpark idea of its production schedules.

As I have said all along, I don't expect accuracy such a ball park idea :-

Will it be this year?
If so which quarter?

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:

As I have said all along, I don't expect accuracy such a ball park idea :-

Will it be this year?
If so which quarter?

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

As I linked a couple of posts above, BoardGameGeek News reported that Guadalcanal is now targeted for December 2012 - isn't that ballpark enough?

Regards,

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
As I linked a couple of posts above, BoardGameGeek News reported that Guadalcanal is now targeted for December 2012

Thanks Andy, I'd missed that link before.

Yes that is exactly the sort of ballpark figure, disappointing though it is.

Notice that 1775 has been thought of, designed, printed and released before Guadalcanal is released.

Any way it means I can switch off thinking about Guadalcanal for some time to come, as it won't be in the UK until next year.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cwikla

Burbank
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
down range wrote:

In the mean time I have been replaying all of the firefights in Guadalcanal to fine tune them, and I have been designing bonus firefights that will available after publication. There are so many firefights now (20+) that there is no way to include all of them in the published game.

Just curious as to what prevents all the firefights from being included in the published game - is there a page limit in the printed books? Very excited to hear about additional firefights after publication - would love to see something similar with the other CoH games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean halley

Oregon
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Brian,
I anticipate that the Firefight Book included in Guadalcanal will be the largest one in the series (so far) even without all of the firefights I designed for the game included in it. So while there isn't a page limit number in the Firefight Books, there is a per item cost that affects the price of the game. So if the firefight book is to large then something else has to be to small. It is an interesting balancing act that I am glad I don't have to worry about.

take care,
Dean

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riskar M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the academy summer catalogue lists Guadalcanal for December 2012. Will there be a (german) foreign language version ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Academy is a small company with a large pipeline. I would suggest to anyone anxious to see products hit the market sooner, email Uwe and offer your services as a play tester. It's a lot more time and effort than you may realize at first so be warned. It's up to you to print and build everything, then find the time to play it face to face with a friend or two. Follow up with some detailed reports and you are providing a valuable service.

Your labor is free BTW but for companies like Academy it's worth it. Uwe is the kind of guy you don't mind helping out. You never go unappreciated. As mentioned before, you know you will get a quality product in the end. If you play test you get a crude version to tide you over and have a say along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve paschal
United States
Mililani
Hawaii
flag msg tools
designer
Good advice, that above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
down range wrote:
Greetings all,
I am in regular contact with Uwe, so I know that Guadalcanal is going to happen. But the time line for its publication keeps getting disrupted for a variety of reasons.

The latest has to do with a software upgrade (or maybe a new system)that Uwe purchased for laying out the rule books and firefight books for CoH. His files for AtB 2nd Ed. were corrupted when he transferred them to the new software, and now he has to go back and fix them page by page.

We are scheduled to begin laying out Guadalcanal for publication when AtB 2nd Ed goes to the printers, and AtB 2nd Ed was just about ready for the printers before this software fiasco. Now Uwe has to take the time to fix AtB 2nd Ed. before he can get started on Guadalcanal.

In the mean time I have been replaying all of the firefights in Guadalcanal to fine tune them, and I have been designing bonus firefights that will available after publication. There are so many firefights now (20+) that there is no way to include all of them in the published game. The firefights include at least three contests. A contest involves a number of linked firefights where the outcome of one affects the start of the next. So at least the wait hasn't been in vain.

I am as frustrated as anyone else, as I have been working on Guadalcanal for at least three years (I offered the game concept to another game company before Uwe agreed to do it). So hang in there. Its coming.

Dean

Wow, that was posted in May 2012...make that FOUR years+ now that you've been working on it!gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaufschtick
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 1st ed Awakening from Uwe himself, at Origins, something like 4(5?) years ago. BTW, Uwe is super!

After coming to the realization that the games rules were still being ironed out, I decided to move on to other game, and keep an eye on CoH until they got things settled with the rules.

A few years later, I picked up PoH on an impulse here in Columbus at my FLAGS, and thought enough time may have passed, and gave a look at maybe getting back up to speed with CoH.

Unfortunately, SoS was out of stock everywhere I looked for it, and then I saw that AtB was about to be re-released. When I bought AtB 1st ed, I talked my 2 best friends into buying a copy each at $80 USD a pop. The fact that that game wound up going 2nd ed, didn't go over too well with either of them.

Guadalcanal definately had my interest however, only I feel like I've been watching that one FOREVER now!

I'm extremely hesitant to purchase AtB 2nd ed, a game I already bought once in 1st ed; that has already had it's pieces replaced in PoH! I can't get past the thought that buying 2nd edition will mean I will have purchased my third set of game counters! Once bitten, twice shy, three times a fool! I guess that's how I feel about that one.

So here I sit every once in a while, taking another peek at CoH, where the only product available for me to buy goes backward instead of forward with the series! No SoS available, no Guadal, no 1st Men In (or whatever the paratrooper expansion is called)!

I mean, when you are in the state that products for Tide of Iron are being released faster than your series products...that's not a good place to be! LOL!

I want to like the game (it is a good game), but I don't want to spend my hard earned gaming dollars on counters I've already bought twice, and all that jazz. Sure, the map boards would be new and awesome looking too, but Art of Tactic and Tide of Iron have super looking maps and components as well, AND they have pieces that I can paint. As good as the counters are for CoH, nothing will beat painted pieces. I just decided to start painting this year, and I already have close to 1500 soldiers, tanks and various other game pieces painted.

So the tumbleweed continues to roll on by, for Conflict of Heroes. Meanwhile, Zvezda is just pounding out unit models for AoT. Heck, even Tide of Iron is fast approaching the release of their next expansion, Stalingrad!

CoH is rapidly approaching the "woulda-coulda-shoulda" game status, IMHO. The best game series that never was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well 19 months have passed since I created this post and still no sign of Guadalcanal.

It's not that Academy have been quiet either - in this time we have seen 1812, 1775, Railroad, 2nd Ed AtB, PC AtB, PC Ghost Division and PC SoS

Yesterday, I received an eMail from them urging me to sign up for the KickStarter for Fief - I'm sure this will hit the streets before Guadalcanal does.

None of these games had even been mentioned at the point when Guadalcanal was supposedly well under way, with art finalised. Yet before Guadalcanal could be finished off these have been conceived, designed, implemented, produced, distributed and sold.

It is quite clear to me that CoH is low priority - unless it is rehashing what has already been released.

Cheers,

Nigel

And yes - ToI Stalingrad is in the shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to check one of the other threads on this topic where the delays have been discussed and postulations have been made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, I saw that later and posted there as well.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.