$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Variants

Subject: Gideon Castle, Agent of D.R.I.V.E. (custom Hero, in final stages of testing) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
10 years ago, Gideon was a Megalopolis cab driver. He led a fairly uncomplicated life, or at least as uncomplicated as it could ever be in the world’s largest and busiest city. That all changed the day that Omnitron decided to wreck the place. Suddenly, Gideon found himself in an entirely new Megalopolis; one of falling trains, murderous robots, screaming civilians, and the Freedom Five in the thick of it with the towering self-aware factory.

Without thinking about it, Gideon started the engine and moved towards the screaming. He spent the rest of that day ferrying civilians to safe zones, using his knowledge of the city to rush supplies to aid workers, and helping wherever he could. He never asked for recognition, never even bothered to tell people who he was. There were more important things to do.

But there was someone who was watching. Director James Odeon of D.R.I.V.E. (Direct Response Interventions and Vehicular Enforcement) DRIVE’s purpose was to do exactly the type of things that Gideon was doing. Their mission was to rapidly deploy to critical areas and try to minimize the damages done by metahuman conflicts. Their agents had extensive training and the best equipment money could buy. So Director Odeon was somewhat surprised to see a cabbie not only doing the same things as his top agents, but doing them without gadgets and without any care for his own safety. By the end of the day, Director Odeon knew everything there was to know about Gideon Castle.

An offer was made.

Over the years, he became D.R.I.V.E.’s top field agent. He’s seen places that he never thought he’d ever go, from the red sands of Mars to the underwater roads of Atlantis. He’s supported the Freedom Five in their fights, seen them at their most vulnerable when they fell, and made sure that when they called for something, anything, it was there.

So now when Tachyon sprains an ankle running at mach five, when Lt. Vance gets pried out of the Bunker suit and needs an evac, or when Legacy needs someone to make sure Pauline gets to the prom, they call Gideon Castle, the Agent of D.R.I.V.E.

Here is my latest custom hero! I've tried to fool around and add a new game mechanic, that of gear shifting. the hero is in a car, so how fast he is going dictates some of his powers and abilities.

Like with the Red Mask, I've tried to tie him in to the overarching story, and since I'm no artist, I've tried to provide verbal descriptions of how it looks in my head.

I've done some extensive re-working of the hero, after several play sessions revealed that you could spend several turns doing nothing but shifting gears in order to get to the right speed, then get cards that made you need to be in a completely different gear. I've scrapped the incremenal gear shifting system into a binary choice- High speed or Low speed. the power is that you can pick which one you are in. ALL powers now have high speed/low speed effects, so that you always have something you can do.

all edits are in bold.

Gideon Castle, Agent of D.R.I.V.E.
HP 30
Role: support
Unique mechanic: Gear shift, speed dynamics.
Base power: Gearbox
Draw a card.
You may take 1 melee damage and change speed to either high or low.
Gideon starts in low speed.

This gives him the same basic power as bunker in terms of Card draw, but lets him change speeds with a minor cost. This makes the choice of speed much more tactical (especially if there are buffs involved). Think of it as a guy hopped up on coffee slamming around in a car as he tries to keep up with the action. It takes a toll.

Defeated powers:
Heal a hero for 1 HP.
Change the damage type of a hero’s attacks.
Allow a hero to play an equipment card from their trash.

Nemesis: Omnitron

One shots: (13 cards total)
3x Ramming Speed (must be high speed): Destroy X of your equipment in play. Take X melee damage. Target villain or environment card takes 2x fire damage.

4x Pit stop: (must be in low speed) draw until two “Equipment” cards are revealed. Put one into play, and one into your hand. Shuffle your deck.

3x Sensor sweep: Look at the top 3 environment cards. Return them to the top of the environment deck in the order of your choice.

3x: Redline: this turn, you may use as many powers as you have equipment cards. At the end of the turn, destroy any equipment whose power you used.

This lets you use a TON of powers, but sets you back to square one in terms of equipment (assuming you used all equipment available). potentially, you could use every piece of equipment on the card, then use the headlights "second power" to use the command uplink.

Equipment (15 cards total)
3x Machine Gun Headlights (Equipment, limited)
Power: Low speed: do 3 projectile damage to a target.
High speed: Do 1 projectile damage to 3 targets.
You may use another power.

3x Turbocharger
(Equipment)
At the start of your turn, discard a card or destroy this card.
Gain +1 damage.
(art/text forthcoming)

I replaced the Shock harpoons because they were either useless or too powerful. This gives Gideon a nice damage boost and lets him get rid of cards if he has a massive hand of cards (which can happen, especially if you've already got your limited equips and ongoings out)

3x Flamethrower (Equipment)
Power: Low speed: Deal 1 target 1 fire damage. Reduce damage from that target by 1 until the start of your next turn.
High Speed: Deal 1 target 2 fire damage. At the end of its turn, that target takes 2 fire damage.

3x Triage unit (Equipment, limited): Power:
Low speed: Heal a hero for 3 HP.
High speed: Prevent the next 1 damage that would be dealt to each hero. Prevention lasts until it is used or the start of your next turn.

3x Destabilizing Beam (Equipment, limited). Power:
Low speed: Remove all immunities to damage types from a target. That target takes 1 energy damage.
High speed: All enemies take +1 from a damage type of your choice.
Effects from either use last until the start of your next turn.

Ongoing: (12 cards total)
3x Evasive driving: (limited) If you are in high speed at the start of your turn, Reduce all damage to Gideon by 1 until the start of your next turn.

3x Command uplink (ongoing limited):
Power: Destroy this card to...
Low speed: strip a target of all damage immunities, preventions, redirections, and retaliations. Effects last until the start of your next turn.
High speed: Designate a hero. The next time that Hero does damage, the damage is doubled.

3x Turbo Boost (ongoing)
Discard instead of taking damage from an environment.

3x Roadside maintenance(Ongoing, limited): If you are in Low speed at the start of your turn, you may play an extra card OR draw an extra card this turn.

Art/Text
Comics: Wheelman Annual, Agent of D.R.I.V.E., Freedom Five: A day in the Life

Character Art:
The car is a 1960's era muscle car, (A GTO or a Corvette are both possibilities- one sort of blocky and powerful, the other sleek. it sort of depends on your personal preference for spy cars...). Its a front shot, speeding down the road with the machine guns firing. Gideon's arm is sticking out of the window, firing a handgun, with several of the other car gadgets deployed.

When you do see Gideon, it is always as a part of the car- an arm out the window, a shadow inside the car, legs getting in or out, a side profile adding or maintaining equipment. You never see his face. I think of the D.R.I.V.E. uniform being the basic military black and grey jumpsuit, though Gideon tends to wear driving gloves and a brown leather jacket on top.

Defeated Art: The car, wrecked and being torn apart by Omnitron’s robot drones. A bloody arm (shredded brown leather jacket and driving gloves) is dangling out the broken window.

Ramming Speed
Art: The car, afterburners blazing, about to hit a robot.
Text: Absolute Zero: "You’ve got ejection seats, right? Right?!"

Pit stop
Art: Side view of the stopped car with the hood up. Gideon is working on the engine, his head is hidden by the hood. A minigun, belts of ammunition, and several glowing canisters are visible on the ground.
Text: "What the heck does THAT part do?"

Sensor sweep
Art: Close up of the grill of the car, with a sophisticated array of lenses, probes, dishes, and lights poking out and pointed at a (very) small dinosaur.
Text: "Command, are you absolutely sure about those scan coordinates?"

Redline
Art: The car in a powerslide, all weapons firing at once at multiple angles. All gun barrels are glowing.
Text: Come on baby, hold together just a bit longer...

Machine Gun Headlights
Art: close up on the front of the car, twin miniguns poking out of the headlights and firing.
Text: Young Legacy: So...What does THAT button do?

Shock Harpoon
Art: A spear is sticking out of a wrecked piece of Baron Blade’s equipment, with a line attached leading back to a launcher on the side of the car. Lightning is playing up and down the line. The blade battalion is on the ground around it.
Text: Baron Blade: Battalion 1! What is the status of the Meson Collider? Report!

Flamethrower
Art: Side profile of the car, a burst of flame from the front roasting a large Omnitron drone.
Text: Command? It appears that robots and napalm are not friends.

Triage unit
Art: Robot arm and diagnostic bed deployed out of the trunk of the car. Tempest is on the bed, with Gideon wrapping his arm. The robot arm is welding the bunker suit. Gideon’s head and shoulders are blocked by Bunker. Several other injured heroes are in line to be treated.
Text: Next!

Destabilizing Beam
Art: Beam cannon with glowing canisters of multiple colors attached, on a turret rising from trunk. It is firing a multicolor beam at Omnitron
Text: "Destabilizer is causing weak points in the target, Command. Requesting an uplink with the Freedom Five."

Evasive driving
Art: Front view of the car, weapon fire splashing all around it as it swerves
Text: First Lieutenant: Warlord! We can’t get a lock on the target!

Command uplink
Art: interior of the command center. Large display shows technical schematics of Omnitron, highlighting weak points and target markers.
Text: Director Odeon: "Gideon, we’ve analyzed targeting data and relayed it to The Freedom Five. Keep painting the target and watch the fireworks."

Turbo Boost:
Art: Driving away from a rampaging T-rex, afterburners blazing. Absolute Zero firing out the passenger window.
Text: Absolute Zero: "Faster. Faster would be good!"

Roadside maintenance
Art: while the front guns are firing, the rear robot arms are changing a tire, loading a harpoon into the side launcher, and one is cooking something over the afterburner.
Text: "D.R.I.V.E. Manual: Use of the mark IX maintenance arms to cook delicious omlettes should not be attempted at speeds greater than 50 MPH."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Custom Hero: Gideon Castle, Agent of D.R.I.V.E.
Another home run character. Even the flavor text and backstory is good. Really good job with the unique mechanics, too. I hope someone turns these into some cards with graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Really brilliant design! Just the sort of novel and unique mechanics I am looking for in new heroes. I second Justin - we need an artist or a card creation program for Sentinels ASAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Helme
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, just wow. wow You've done it again. Simply amazing! I really love how you're characters work really well thematically in the established story.

I do have one request though, can you be a little more specific which equipment/ongoing cards are used by using a POWER and which are just passive effects?

Really nice job! Someone get this man a JOB at >Games!!! or at least an artist and a sentinels card template program!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
sorry about the equipment confusion! All of them are power cards, and I just got used to thinking of them that way. I've edited for clarification.

2x Machine Gun Headlights
Power: do 1 projectile damage to a target. This increases to 2 damage if you are in gear 4-5. In Gear 6, you may attack up to 3 targets for 2 damage each.

2x Shock Harpoon (limited)
Power: Deal a target 1 lightning damage and look at the top card of the villain deck. If it is an ongoing, you may discard it. Drop 2 gears (to a minimum of 1)

2x Flamethrower (limited)
Power: up to 3 targets take 1 fire damage, then another fire damage on the start of their turn. Damage increases to 2 initial fire damage/target if in gear 1.

2x Tow cable(limited)
Power : Discard an environment or ongoing card and deal a target 1 melee damage. This increases to 2 melee damage if in gears 3-5. If in gear six, the cable snaps. Take 4 melee damage, and deal another target 4 projectile damage.

2x Triage unit (limited)
Power: Heal a hero for 1 HP. The first time that hero is damaged, the damage is reduced by 2. Must be in gear 1 or 2.

2x Mobile command center (limited):
Passive: All your destroyed equipment is put underneath this card instead of the trash.
Power: Destroy (along with all cards underneath it) to search deck or trash for "Command Uplink" and "Destabilizing Beam" and put them in your hand.

2x Destabilizing Beam (limited).
Power: (Must be in Gear 3-4) Designate a target. That target takes +1 damage from all attacks by a damage type of your choice. Effect lasts until the start of your next turn. Drop 1 gear.

2x Oil slick(limited):
Power: (you must be in gears 3-4). Designate a target except the villain character card. You may redirect all damage dealt by that target. Increase gear by 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of curiosity, why 6 gears instead of 5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Because I was thinking in terms of a D6, and having ongoings/effects for both ends of the spectrum (1 and 6), and then effects for 2-3 and 4-5.

This is one of those things where playtesting will probably show if it matters much. One of my friends is the sneaky one that finds all sorts of holes in the rules, and I'm sure he'll have all sorts of ways to exploit the gearing system.

I also wanted to leave some wiggle room if I wanted to add a "reverse" mechanic, and having 6 gears seemed like the easiest way!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough. Seems like it may take too long to go between 1-6, but that's just a guess without having played it at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
yeah, I'm a bit worried about several turns where all you are doing are shifting gears. Most of the equipment drops you in speed, and I might need to change that.

I got lucky in my cards the times I've played him and got into the middle gears pretty quickly, and after that it all worked out well.

I'll probably know more this weekend, when I get to do some more testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braithwhite wrote:
When you do see Gideon, it is always as a part of the car- an arm out the window, a shadow inside the car, legs getting in or out, a side profile adding or maintaining equipment. You never see his face. I think of the D.R.I.V.E. uniform being the basic military black and grey jumpsuit, though Gideon tends to wear driving gloves and a brown leather jacket on top.

Here's what he looks like when you finally do see his face

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Rodriguez
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm digging this gear mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Granger
msg tools
just a quick one - might have missed it but i assume you start in gear 1?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, you start in gear 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
After playtesting this weekend, I've made some changes to keep from spending several turns just shifting.

Other than that, he fit in pretty well and was lots of fun.

Changes:
One shots
2x Sideswipe: Do 2 damage to a target. Increase 1 gear.

Equipment (16 cards total)
2x Machine Gun Headlights : do 1 projectile damage to a target. This increases to 2 damage if you are in gear 4-5. In Gear 6, you may attack up to 3 targets for 2 damage each. Increase 1 gear

2x Shock Harpoon (limited): Deal a target 1 lightning damage and look at the top card of the villain deck. If it is an ongoing, you may discard it. Drop 1 gear

2x Flamethrower (limited) (up to 3 targets take 1 fire damage, then another fire damage on the start of their turn). Damage increases to 2 initial fire damage/target if in gear 1. Increase 1 gear

2x Tow cable(limited) : Discard an environment or ongoing card and deal a target 1melee damage. This increases to 2 melee damage if in gears 3-5. If in gear six, the cable snaps. Take 4 melee damage, and deal another target 4 projectile damage. Increase 1 gear

2x Oil slick(limited): you must be in gears 3-4. Designate a target except the villain character card. You may redirect all damage dealt by that target. drop 1 gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I've done some major re-working of the character. Edits are in the main post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Custom Hero: Gideon Castle, Agent of D.R.I.V.E., (now with more editing)
Questions

Is the high gear power on triage unit meant to be the first time that round or the first time each turn?

Is the Destabilizing Beam low power a permanent removal or just for that round?

Is the Evasive Driving damage reduction universal or to Gideon Specifically?

For command uplink's two power options the wording has me confused about when and where its played and does its affect. The low speed power...is it meant to be played on turn A...gets destroyed on turn B and lasts til turn C? That's how i interpret it now when it says destroy at the start of your turn and then the affect lasts until the start of the next turn. Was that intentional? Or can it just be Power: Destroy this card to ... until the start of your next turn? which is less text to squeeze on a card. And for the high speed power... it reads as though you are playing that power when someone else is dealing damage (outside the normal power phase)...is it supposed to be something like, select a target, the next time that target does damage multiply that damage by 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Ah, wording. My kryptonite.

Triage unit: High gear power is meant to give each hero a one-time damage reduction. So the next time they take a hit, that hit is reduced by 1.
I need to find a better phrasing for that one.

Destabilizing low power is just one round.

Evasive driving is Gideon specific.

command uplink needs major language work.
Low speed: intent is that it strips away all of a targets buffs untilt eh start of your next turn. so no drug bonuses to spite, no damage shield for thechairman, no elemental immunity for BB or Omni, etc.
The intent behind the command uplink (high speed) was to give a hero a one time double damage bonus to one attack. Ideally, I want it to be a gamble- so you have to play it on your turn in preparation for another hero to do something cool- and if the environment or villain screws it up (by killing the target or preventing the attack in some way), too bad.

I really need to re-word it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braithwhite wrote:
Ah, wording. My kryptonite.

Triage unit: High gear power is meant to give each hero a one-time damage reduction. So the next time they take a hit, that hit is reduced by 1.
I need to find a better phrasing for that one.

I would just turn around what you have right now: "Until the start of your next turn, prevent 1 damage dealt to each hero."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I like that wording, its just that a case could be made that the 1 prevention applies each time a hero takes damage. So if legacy got hit 3 times, each time they could say the damage prevention applies.

I think each other prevention power/equipment(flak jacket and stealth are what are coming to mind most readily) specifically state that the prevention only works on the first instance of damage, and I wan to keep the wording consistent.

potential wordings....
Triage unit:
High gear:
Each hero prevents the next 1 point of damage dealt.

The next time each hero would be dealt damage, prevent 1 point of that damage. (this seems the most similar to wraith's wording)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait you said "Drive", suggested a face for the driver, and you didn't think of this guy from the short-lived TV series?

What kind of geek are you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Mann
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would...

Power: (Low Speed) Select a target, Until the start of your next turn, that target has no immunities, preventions, or redirections. Destroy this card.
Power: (High Speed) select a target, the next time that target deals damage, multiply the damage by 2. Destroy this card.

Be an okay way to state the Command Uplink Powers?

And is the Triage Unit High gear meant to prevent damage for Gideon also, or just all the other heroes?

I'm personally leaning towards...

Power: (High Speed) The next time each hero is dealt damage, reduce that damage by 1.

or

Power: (High Speed) The next time each hero other than Gideon Castle is dealt damage, reduce that damage by 1.

based on the answer to that question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
That is an elegant way to put the uplink powers. I heartily approve

Lets go with :
Power: (High Speed) The next time each hero is dealt damage, reduce that damage by 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Di Toro
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braithwhite wrote:
Lets go with :

Except you've just changed the effect. Are we reducing damage, or preventing damage? That matters is the damage being dealt is Irreducible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Burton
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think damage reduction is more in line. Damage prevention is an extremely powerful thing and should be special. Especially given that the flip side of this power heals for 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not perfect but here's one way you can make artwork for your hero:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/816904/need-custom-hero-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.