Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I've been working on new Ancient Ones (or Great Old Ones if you prefer) as part of my Elder Sign: Abominations - Game Expansion.

The first four are all from the Dunwich Horror expansion of Arkham Horror, These are just the current prototypes at the moment, I still needs to create the additional components (i.e. the Abomination markers and other tokens). I may also tweak the AO tasks as well so these may not be the final design.

While the base rules can be used with these new Ancient Ones, they were really designed to be used with the Great Old Ones Herald.

Once finished I shall add them to the Elder Sign Files section.

Abhoth

Glaaki

Shudde M'ell

Tsathoggua

One of the noticeable features of both Abhoth and Tsathoggua is the investigators as a group have to discard objects during the Ancient One's Attack. This was done to overcome a issue (at least I think is an issue) between games that have 1 player or games that have 8 players. If I choose the more usual "discard 3 trophies" type option, then in an 8 player game they would need to discard 24 trophies in total each attack! I think this is ridiculous compared to a single player game where the investigator would only need discard 3 trophies. I will be carrying this notion over with the other Ancient Ones I am designing.

If required the difficulty level can be adjusted to fit your play style. For example:-

Abhoth
Discard 8 (easy), 10, 12 (standard), 14 or 16 (hard) objects each Attack.

Glaaki
All investigators are devoured if 10 (easy), 9, 8 (standard), 7 or 6 (hard) tokens are on the card.

Shudde M'ell
Start the game with 14 (easy), 13, 12 (standard), 11 or 10 (hard) Rubble markers.

Tsathoggua
Discard 8 (easy), 10, 12 (standard), 14 or 16 (hard) trophies each Attack.

EDIT: 27th May 2012 Updated the images, a few minor changes only.

Next will be 4 more Ancient Ones from Kingsport (Atlach-Nacha, Eihort, Y'Golonac, and Yibb-Tstll)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aurelio Agustin
Venezuela
San Diego
Carabobo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting for this with anticipation, love all the variants you have been adding to the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
I will be including the following notes with the PDF files, I hope they cover some of the questions that might be raised. Feedback welcome as would any further questions or quires.

Ancient Ones Notes
The following rules clarifications apply to the new Ancient Ones.

Rules for Abominations
During Setup, Abominations are placed face down on the Ancient Ones' card. While face down they are out of play and have no effect on the game. When an Abomination appears, it is placed face-up on an Adventure card following the rules for placing monsters.

Abominations are immune from game effects that apply to Monster markers (such as Bind Monster or Kate Winthrop's Science).

When an Abomination is defeated it is returned to the box, it may never be claimed as a trophy.

If the Final Battle is entered with one or more Abominations still remaining on the Ancient Ones' card, then they are returned to the box with no effect.

Final Battle Tokens
Certain Ancient Ones require tokens to keep track of the number of attacks during the Final Battle. Tokens have been provided as part of the components, but any object or token can be used.

Adjustable Difficulty
The difficulty level can be adjusted to fit play style.

Abhoth

Child of Abhoth Abominations

The 4 Child of Abhoth components are Abominations. When "a Monster and a random Abomination appears", place the Monster first and then select and place a random Abomination.

When Abhoth attacks, the investigators must, as a group, discard a total of 12 "items". In this case, an "item" can be a trophy, a Clue token, a Common Item, a Unique Item, or a Spell. Any investigator can discard any of these items in any combination as long as some combination of 12 items from the list are discarded.
Example: One investigator discards 2 Adventure cards (worth 1 and 2 trophies) and 1 Monster marker (worth 2 trophies), for a total of 5 items while another investigator discards 2 Common Items, 2 Clue tokens and 2 Adventure cards (worth 1 and 2 trophies) for a total of 7 items.

Adjustable difficulty: Discard 8 (easy), 10, 12 (standard), 14, or 16 (hard) items when Abhoth attacks.

Glaaki

Servant of Glaaki Abominations

The 6 Servant of Glaaki components are Abominations. These Abominations only appear when a Doom token is placed on a non-monster icon of the Doom track. Monsters appear as usual when a Doom token is placed on a monster icon of the Doom track.

To complete a Servant of Glaaki Abomination, when the die result requirement for the task has been met, the active player must then discard the item shown (Clue token, Common Item, Unique Item, Spell, Ally, or Elder Sign). Note: The Elder Sign is discarded from the pool of Elder Signs collected by the players.
Under normal conditions, the sixth and final Abomination is put into play when a Doom token is placed on the last icon of the Doom track.

When Glaaki awakens, 8 or more Monsters and Abominations may already be in play. The investigators still have an opportunity to Attack the Ancient One before the first Advance the Clock step.

Adjustable difficulty: All investigators are devoured if 10 (easy), 9, 8 (standard), 7, or 6 (hard) tokens are on the card.

Shudde M'ell

There are four types of Rubble token. A token may not be placed on a location that is already closed.

Entrance:
Select First Aid, Lost & Found or Gift Shop.
Museum:
Select one of the six normal Adventure card locations.
Gate:
Select one of the Other World Adventure card locations.
If none are currently in play then the token is discarded.
No Effect:
Discarded the Rubble token with no effect.

Turn the Adventure card location face down when it is closed. Monster markers on the location are returned to the Monster cup, investigators are returned to the Entrance and lose 1 Stamina (investigators do not lose Stamina when an Entrance location is closed). The activity associated with an Entrance location is no longer available once closed.

The At Midnight effect of revealing a Rubble token is performed before other At Midnight effects (such as adding Doom tokens or monsters appearing).

15 Rubble markers are provided. 3 each of the Entrance, Museum, and Gate Rubble tokens are used and a variable number of No Effect Rubble tokens. Unless the Adjustable Difficulty option is being used, use 3 No Effect Rubble tokens and return the remaining 3 to the box.

Adjustable difficulty: Start the game with 14 (easy), 13, 12 (standard), 11, or 10 (hard) Rubble tokens. Add or remove an appropriate number of No effect Rubble tokens.

Tsathoggua

The activity Buy a Souvenir (associated with the Gift Shop Entrance location) is no longer available during the game

When Tsathoggua attacks, the investigators must, as a group, discard Adventure cards and / or Monster markers worth a total of 12 trophies. Any investigator can discard any of these in any combination as long as a total of 12 trophies are discarded.
Example: One investigator discards 2 Adventure cards (worth 1 and 2 trophies) and 1 Monster marker (worth 2 trophies), for a total of 5 trophies, another investigator discards two Adventure cards (worth 1 and 2 trophies) for a total of 3 trophies, while a third investigator discards 4 Monster markers (each worth 1 trophy) for a total of 4 trophies.

Adjustable difficulty: Discard 8 (easy), 10, 12 (standard), 14, or 16 (hard) trophies when Tsathoggua attacks.

EDIT: 5th June 2012, added new Abomination images and updated text to final version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Added the Abomination images to the post above and updated text to final version.

The PDF has now been submitted to the Files Section so should show up soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lawson
United Kingdom
Yateley
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
The Ancient One Set 1 (Abhoth, Glaaki, Shudde M'ell and Tsathoggua) PDF has been approved and now available in the Files section.

Unofficial Ancient Ones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.