Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does everyone do the initial placement so that everything looks random? While I Can feel random about it, I could see some of the set-up being interpreted as not being truly random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pmboos wrote:
How does everyone do the initial placement so that everything looks random? While I Can feel random about it, I could see some of the set-up being interpreted as not being truly random.

I just grab 'em from a bag and slap 'em down in their correct spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I take one cube of each color, and ask someone to randomize them and put one on each city. Then I fill in the 2nd and 3rd cubes for each city according to the column shown in the rules with that top color. So the 4 possible combinations are randomly assigned to the 4 cities.

I suppose you could do it entirely randomly, but somehow I felt that a balanced arrangement of colors was preferable.

Quote:
I just grab 'em from a bag and slap 'em down in their correct spots.

By "correct" do you mean random, or do you mean something else?

ASIDE: Almost every game I have played has been with at least one first-timer, so we'll have a rules intro. I like to have the game set up before starting that, so I try to delegate as much setup as possible. So I'll have one person randomize the silk factory colors, another randomize the palace rewards, another randomize the city demand cubes, etc. It gives everyone a stake in the game, and helps pass the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
By "correct" do you mean random, or do you mean something else?

I mean randomly put palaces in the correct palace spots, randomly put trading posts in their correct spots, randomly put cubes in their correct spots, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
...randomly put cubes in their correct spots...

Can you be more specific here? I suggested one way of laying out demand cubes, but it's not spelled out explicitly in the rules.

EDIT: For the others (palace rewards, silk production), I agree that it's easy to randomize them. And whether they end up looking random or not, if they ARE random, that's good enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I literally don't do anything. I don't balance them according to the "first play diagram", I don't make it so there's one of each colour on level 1, level 2, and level 3. I don't worry about duplicates in one column, if it happens it happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I'll have to try fully random demand cubes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, to clarify...

For the demand cubes, I was just wondering how people determine How the four sets (as established in the rules) are ensured a random distribution. And how people ensure a random placement of the palace and silk bale tokens.

Cheers,
Paul

PS - had my first game tonight, but used the first time play set-up for our game. I was truly impressed with the game play, everyone loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got how Steve does it; fascinating...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite underrated game. If you've watched Hawaii debacle, Bombay was also destroyed by Vasel..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Boos
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad8r wrote:
My favorite underrated game. If you've watched Hawaii debacle, Bombay was also destroyed by Vasel..

I rarely read reviews except to get an idea of how mechanics may be used. I prefer to read others comments (particular geek buddies I know have a similar taste to mine) and judge from that perspective. My ratings often clash with others it seems...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I tried fully-random demand cubes, and it was interesting. The city at the far left ended up with 2 orange and 1 purple. The rest of the cities looked about like normal, except that purple started at the top of 3 of them.

The orange silk production facility happened to be straight below the orange/purple city--quite convenient. The purple production was on the bottom, just 2 steps right of orange production. By the end of the game, I wished I would have taken more advantage of that situation. However, a few times either orange or purple cost 2 actions, meaning I would have wasted a lot of actions trying to get both.

I think I'll try fully random at least a few more times before deciding, but based on that one game, it added some interesting spice.

I am curious what the designer's intent was for the demand cube placement, and whether any playtesting was done with fully random placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben
Ireland
Kilcullen
Kildare
flag msg tools
mb
Wow, so does this mean you could have a city with 3 yellow demand cubes on it?

There would be all-out war to build palaces along trade-routes to there!

Obviously you don't swap the cubes when selling in that city as they are all the same color? I'm guessing you would either select the higher price (4 coins) or the lower price (1 coin and 1 client - if you need to stock up on clients) but never the centre one as it only provides 3 coins?

I like the idea of playing the game where there is an occasional chance for a crazy demand for one of the colors - you could even end up with more than one city obsessed with a certain color!

Building the palaces is sometimes a risk, depending on where the other players trade but if a city (or two) is always going to be able buy a specific color, then very definite trade routes will emerge. Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.