Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished a solo play of Scenario 1, Honey Trap, from Scottish Corridor: Lion Rampant. This was my first play of an ATS game after a long layoff . I still remembered the main rules and the index (of version 3.091 which comes with Bloody Omaha) made it quick and easy to look up the rules I didn't remember.

This scenario features a German recon unit with 3 reduced squads an 2 armored cars trying to hold up a troop of 3 British Honeys (M5 Stuarts) and a Carrier. The Germans get 3 Pz IV tanks as reinforcements, one each on turns 3, 4 and 5. The Brits start on the west edge of the map and get VP if they can exit the east edge of the map after turn 5. The scenario goes for 6 turns.

The Germans set up between hex rows M and P of map SC1. I set up the 3 German reduced squads in masonry buildings adjacent to the only road running east-west through the map area. The armored car with the 50 mm gun also set up in that village, covering the road. The other armored car with the 20 mm gun set up in a flanking position on the high ground north of the village.

On turn 1, the lead British honey rolled down the road into the gunsights of the armored car. That armored car fired but missed. The Honey returned fire and scored a lucky hit (with the +5 modifier for firing while moving, it's rare to achieve a hit) and also scored a good result on the k-kill table, leaving the armored car a burning wreck. One of the other Honeys and the Carrier followed the lead Honey down the road, while the other Honey turned off through the orchard north of the road to serve as flank protection.

On turn 2, the second German armored car scored a hit on the Honey in the orchard, but the 20mm cannon couldn't penetrate the front armor of the British AFV. The lead Honey screamed down the road at full speed, climbed the hill, and turned into firing position for the following turn. The third Honey and the carrier fired at the German troops in the village with their machine guns and managed to score one casualty and break that reduced squad. One of the German reduced squads moved into the broken unit's building to prevent that unit from surrendering.

During the infiltration phase of turn 2, things got very interesting. A German infantry unit rolled a courage result (00) when making it's pre-AFV melee morale check. It then rolled a "1" to make that Honey a burning wreck.

So at the begining of turn 3, the Germans were down to 1 armored car, one reduced squad with courage and one other reduced squad. The Brits were down to two Honeys and the Carrier. The German reinforcements were due to arrive on turn 3.

The Germans got initiative and decided to enter a Pz IVh and have it fire at the carrier in the adjacent hex. They missed (the +5 for firing on the move made the difference). The Brits then had the Honey that on turn 2 moved behind the other armored car fire. It scored a hit and reduced the armored car to a burning wreck. The German infantry couldn't effect the Brits and passed, and the Brits moved the carrier into a position where it couldn't be seen and could exit the board quickly.

The Germans used turn 4 to move the two Pz IVh into firing position and had their infantry run to try to get close to the British AFVs. The Brits took hull-defilade positions with their honeys and prepared to exit the board on turn 5.

On turn 5, the Germans got initiative and one of the Pz IVs killed a second Honey. However, the British were able to exit the carrier and the remaining Honey without taking any more fire.

So the results of the action were that the Brits destroyed 2 of the armored cars, and exited a Stuart and the Carrier for 24 VP. The Germans destroyed one Stuart in an infiltration attack and Pz IV destroyed another one for 12 VP.

At first I though there was no way the Brits could win, but it turned out they can hunt down the two German armored cars before the German tanks arrive. The Germans have the advantage of defending, but the units on map are actually weaker than the light tanks the Brits have. It's an interesting scenario and a good re-introduction to the ATS system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos A. L. de Miranda
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mb
Very nice AAR !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Feldman
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It was fun to write it up and made me think about what the key actions during the game were.

ATS provides good narrative and makes for good session reports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Nice AAR !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.