Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Davis
United States
Wauconda
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Having greatly enjoyed Ingenious, I have been tring out Knizia's other games. A number of them seem to be built on a very similar auction mechanic, though - a game mechanic I have never been overly fond of. I feel like I only need one in my collection. Any recommendations? Is there a game out there that does it better than Knizia?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ra which is a pure auction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree; Ra is my favorite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Blountville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Ra. Alesia liked Ingenious also, so I bought Ra to see if she would enjoy it... loves it, and she is a very casual gamer. I am getting ready to introduce her to Through the Desert...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both Ra and Medici.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Living rent-free in your head!
badge
Living rent-free in your head!
mb
Ra and Amun-Re.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Colegrave
Canada
Comox
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Medici is Knizia's most "pure" auction game. With that said, player count would be important to me in making a decision about what to get. I would probably chose Ra if I planned on playing most of my games with 3-4 players, but I think Medici really shines with 5 and especially 6 players. I guess the bonus with Medici is that it can play anywhere from 3-6, whereas with Ra you are limited to 4 players.

Another underrated cheap auction game that my group loves and is expandable to 6 is Fzzzt!

And The Spiecherstadt by Feld is awesome as well. The boring theme kept me away for awhile, but this is an auction game that just feels different from everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imho, you can't go wrong with a Knizia auction game, but the best one is Ra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Ra and Amun-Re.

Indeed; Amun-Re is my favorite Knizia game, and it has auctions, so I suppose I'm obliged to pick that one...but for a more pure auctioning experience Ra has a lot to say for it. If you come down between these two, I'm of the camp that says Amun-Re is best for five, and definitely less-best with, um, fewer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Faehnle
United States
Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wcolegrave wrote:
with Ra you are limited to 4 players.

Ra supports 5p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon W
United States
Aurora
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a good look at Ra, Modern Art, and Taj Mahal. All are great games.

They all have a very different feel from each other, as well, despite all having auctions at their core. Modern Art is very free-flowing, with a lot of groupthink; Taj has a poker-esque feel; and Ra is perhaps the most unique in terms of how it handles "currency", but it also has a chunk of luck. If you want something more analytical, also consider Medici.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirefox wrote:
A number of them seem to be built on a very similar auction mechanic, though

On the contrary, I can't really think of two Knizia auction games that have remotely similar auction mechanisms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJ
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
You are full of poisonous refuse and insane foolishness.
badge
I had not supposed or expected your arrogant spirit to seek such a ridiculous and childish reason for lying; you should have better reasons.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites in order: Ra, Amun Re, Modern Art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Xiangqi
Mexico
Guadalajara
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Almost all have different auction mechanic and feeling.

I prefer RA for 2,3,4 players
Palazzo for 2,3 players
Amun Re for 5 players
Taj Mahal for 4 players

Those are the ones i have played
In terms of complexity 1(complex) 3 (light)
1. Amun Re & Taj
2. Ra
3. Palazzo

So it depends on what are you looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schmitt
United States
South Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction games aren't generally my favorites, but Reiner's auction games do have something to be said for them:
Ra is a lighter affair, good for three or four players; probably the most friendly to non-gamers.
Amun Re probably has the most depth and variety of strategies, and is good with more players - 4-5.
Medici probably falls somewhere in the middle, and of the three games I find that it's easiest in Medici to recognize how well I'm doing relative to the other players. I like the auction mechanic here. I've only played Medici with three, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt on this one.

I almost forgot two more:
Modern Art is quick and fairly light - not my favorite, but I think that's because I don't like the artwork.
Taj Mahal is a very good game that plays well with 4-5 (I'm not sure I've tried it with three).

Of the bunch, I'd lean towards recommending Taj Mahal, although if you like lighter fare, go with Ra. None of them is a stinker.

One more comment: Yes, all of the above games contain an auction mechanic, but they all have very different feels to them. Don't feel like you have to limit yourself to one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amun-Re
Medici
Ra
Modern Art

in that order

Taj Mahal is great but not really an auction game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Drown
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dream Factory - closed economy auction game. Movie theme. I like this better than RA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick Carriere
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The purest, IMHO, is Modern Art. I like it very much. But my favourites are Taj Mahal and Blue Moon (Blue Moon is a form of auction in some way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Martin
Canada
Mississauga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only considering his "pure" auction games of which there are many. I think his best is Modern Art, and the one I find the most fun is Traumfabrik/Dream Factory. Modern Art has a good theme, it requires subtle skill and it's cheap, easy to play (not necessarily play well though), and easy to teach, also pretty fun. Traumfabrik has a very good theme, is completely different in style/gameplay and is also easy to teach/introduce to newcomers. He's really a master of pure auction games, so if you like that genre, you'll probably like all of his auction games (I own pretty much all of them, and probably enjoy Ra the least which seems to be the fan favourite around here, so go figure).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone say Ra?

No?

Then...
Ra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
The clever men at Oxford Know all that there is to be knowed. But they none of them know one half as much As intelligent Mr. Toad!
badge
“The motor-car went Poop-poop-poop, As it raced along the road. Who was it steered it into a pond? Ingenious Mr. Toad!”
mbmbmbmbmb
Medici, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Amun-Re
Medici
Ra
Modern Art

in that order

Dude... How is Taj Mahal NOT an auction game? Bidding is crucial to the game. And it is funky bidding at that.

I really enjoy Taj Mahal BTW.

Not a huge fan of Ra... but that could be burn out. Has to be one of the games my early group played the most. Though even then it wasn't a favorite. It is a good game just not near the top of my list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meerkat wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
Amun-Re
Medici
Ra
Modern Art

in that order

Dude... How is Taj Mahal NOT an auction game? Bidding is crucial to the game. And it is funky bidding at that.

Not a huge fan of Ra... but that could be burn out. Has to be one of the games my early group played the most. Though even then it wasn't a favorite. It is a good game just not near the top of my list.

DUDE! Bidding vs. auction. I see them as different, YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
Meerkat wrote:
jarredscott78 wrote:
Amun-Re
Medici
Ra
Modern Art

in that order

DUDE! Bidding vs. auction. I see them as different, YMMV.

You overbid in an regular auction, the same you would bidding up someone in a poker game. I can't see the disconnect between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best game (and I can state this confidently, because I enjoy it most, and of course it's my opinion that matters) is Medici. It's a pure auction game that's at its best with a table of strong players. It's probably my favorite game.

I like it with 4, 5 and 6 (I know there's a lot of information in a 6-player game, but it doesn't bother me like it bothers some people. It just makes it a different game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.