Subject: Is going first a disadvantage? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randatollah
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems to be much harder to avoid giving up a multiple jump when I am the first player. Is the first player in checkers at a disadvantage? I went Googling for some information, but ironically a search for checkers strategy yields more numerous and substantive results on strategy for chess than checkers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, from what I've read, it's not a disadvantage. But it can lead to a disadvantage if you're not careful. In chess, going first is an advantage, but obviously not a game-winning advantage. In checkers, it's a slighter advantage--one that can quickly turn into a disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randatollah
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, then, I guess I'll just have to learn to be less terrible at checkers! Thanks for the info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games are not movies or stories; they're vehicles for creative decision making.
badge
"Desire makes everything blossom; possession makes everything wither and fade." (Marcel Proust)
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what Jim Loy says:

Quote:
In chess, time (the initiative) is very important, being the first player to move is an advantage. This is true, to a lesser extent, in checkers. Moving first is an advantage. But as the game goes on, most possible moves are weak. And, in some situations, being first to move means that you are first to create a weakness in your own position. Sometimes, you run out of safe moves, and must weaken your position. If there is something that you feel must be accomplished, then being first to move is an advantage.

That's from the bottom of this Web page, where you can also find some good, detailed info on opening play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randatollah
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that page is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.