Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Geoff Englestein joins Donald Dennis and Erik Dewey for a discussion on miniature games.

Don announces the winners of our Bug Out contest

Don and Erik do another reviewapalooza talking about:

Who's Got Game
Road to Enlightenment
Yinsh
Zertz
Tigris and Euphrates

http://traffic.libsyn.com/onboardgames/obg82_052712.mp3

On Board Games is a proud member of the Dice Tower Network
RSS Feed: http://onboardgames.libsyn.com/rss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you play miniatures games? What is your favorite?

Do you prefer open-field games, or hex/square based games?

Mecha! is the giant robot fighting game I mentioned in the show, and Mecha! Spirit Warrior Empire is the Aztec themed version of it. Not only was the setting interesting, but the game play was pretty smooth. The initiative system influenced the refresh of action points in a way that made game flow unique in my experience of miniatures games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curses that I missed being in on this conversation! I like minis games.

I've played varying amounts of:

Song of Blades and Heroes (various)
Warhammer (Empire)
Warhammer 40K (Space Wolves)
Epic (Space Marines)
Necromunda (Orlock - or whatever they were called)
Dirtside (various)
Full Thrust (various)
Kryomek (marines and aliens)
DBM (Alexandrian, Crusader)
DBA (Alexandrian, Medieval Welsh)
Hordes of the Things (Undead)

and some others that are slipping my mind at the moment.

That's not including board games that simulate table top games - like Memoir, Battlelore, Heroscape etc. Or games with minis like Doom, Runewars, Warhammer Quest, etc.

My favourite at the moment is Song of Blades and Heroes - I'm slowly prepping and painting up some warbands for that.

Haven't listened yet - will post again when I have!

Great job Don, Erik and Geoff!! This new recording schedule is working well!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Wiltzius
United States
Chehalis
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I personally prefer hex based games, but that probably has to do a little bit with my background playing grid based strategy games for computer and console. I like the feel of a minis game to be almost like an uber complex game of chess, so I like the movement units and everything else that comes along with hex/grid based games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I love open-field wargaming. I possibly love it a little too much. I especially love Full Thrust, Battlefeet Gothic and HotT, with honourable mentions to WFB and 40K.

My armies:

Full Thrust (UNSC - under construction)
Hordes of the Things (10mm Dark Elves, 25mm army under consideration)
Flintloque (Albion Rifle company, plus various allies)
Warhammer Fantasy Battle (Skaven)
Warhammer 40,000 (Orks)
Epic (Squats)
Battlefleet Gothic (Chaos)
Warmaster (Empire)
Mordheim (Undead)
Necomunda (Van Saar)
Bloodbowl (Chaos)
Lord of The Rings/War of the Ring (Easterlings/Minas Tirith)
Inquisitor (Xanthist Warband)

I also have half of a Man O War High Elf fleet, but the possibility of finishing it grows ever more ridiculous with each passing day...

Edit: Also forgot I have several Ronin for Ronin: Duels. Brilliant game which *should* have replaced Battletech by rights. Shame their distribution failed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both forms of gaming, but I really like hex based games because they just seem to move more quickly, and it reduces some of the vagaries of an open field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esteban Fernandez
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex based makes the game go faster, as you don't have to argue each time you fire to a unit if there is a LOS or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both forms. Hexes/squares allow for more defined movement and specific mechanisms (facing etc), however, open field is both more attractive and can be more flexible (in terrain, in a board size and in scenario opportunities).

Ultimately I think, as long as you're not playing with someone overly anal, or someone who wants to win at all cost and is happy to push the vagaries of not so clearly delineated movement/contact mechanisms - then I think open field is the better option. Albeit potentially more expensive!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Hexes and such for boardgames, less so for minis games. Although I do have a soft-spot for dungeon-bash boardgames with minis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hansen
United States
South Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I don't get into minis games because they're too monogamous. Y'all touched on this, how people spend so much time recruiting and painting their armies and terrain, they don't have as much time to play much else.

That said, I like Earth Reborn. A lot. I know it's considered to be more of a hybrid, but I think it's much closer to a minis game minus a collectibility factor. Two teams, mission points, terrain and location restrictions, LOS, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Hansen wrote:
I don't get into minis games because they're too monogamous. Y'all touched on this, how people spend so much time recruiting and painting their armies and terrain, they don't have as much time to play much else.

I've been heavily into miniatures games, heavily into role playing games and heavily into board games over my time as a gamer.

I don't really agree that minis gaming is monogamous - board gaming certainly allows you to play more and varied games though.

After going through the cycle of a board game geek - and finding myself now less interested in what the hobby has to offer in the way of brand new games (at least - not as much as I was) - I am wanting to get back into playing more minis games precisely because of this:

Quote:
people spend so much time recruiting and painting their armies and terrain

It is a cathartic and creative hobby in and of itself. It's enjoyable to sit down and paint and make things, and it's nice when you occasionally do something that you are particularly proud of.

It's not all about the mechanisms and the 1-2 hours of game play - for me a large part of what I enjoy is the story of the game (which includes the recruitment aspect you're talking about) - as well as the creative hobby aspect which is just plain enjoyable.

Different strokes for different folks and all that!

Cheers,

Giles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Cullop
Oman
flag msg tools
For me playing miniatures games is as much about the miniatures themselves as the gaming aspect. I am now at an age when I don't feel embarrassed saying I like to play with toy soldiers and the visual aspect is very important to me. It is a bit like people who collect model railways wanting to get everything exactly right. This I think spills over into the games themselves where simulation takes precedence over playability. At it s best miniature wargaming is losing yourself in a world which you have built and which you and your fellow players control. I've played in many games where a rule has been altered half way through because nobody felt it was working right. The overall experience was still a lot of fun; I don't think I'd be so pleased if one had to do that with a board game. Each to their own, but I have never been interested in competitive tabletop wargaming. For me it is far more about fidelity to history or some work of fantasy or science fiction.

If anyone is interested, the miniatures I collect and play games with are

1. Back of Beyond (inter-war, primarily in central Asia but including Russian Civil War)

2. A Very British Civil War. (A hypothetical civil war set in Britain in the late 1930s)

3. Full Thrust (I like this universe for the way it sort of...kind of... made sense in the 1980s but doesn't now. And the rules are fantastic)

4. Near Future/Post Apocalyptic (Biker gangs, citizens militia, scattered remnants of the police/army, criminals, The Corporation etc.)

5. Lucifer's War (Angels v The Fallen in Milton's Paradise Lost)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.