United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the situation:

Cave Torch:
Quote:
ACTION: Exhaust CT to place up to 3 progress tokens...

FORCED: After CT exhausts, discard the top card of the encounter...

Twisting Passage:
Quote:
FORCED: Before placing progress tokens on TP, the first player must make a locate test.

My question:
Does the Cave Torch have to resolve first? Or can the first player choose the order the FORCED effects resolve in?

I'm leaning towards the CT effect having to resolve first based on the fact that it is triggered by the cost of the action, whereas the TP effect is triggered prior to the resolution of the action.

This can make a difference if you have some scouting ability. I would prefer being able to choose the order of resolution.

What's your take on this?

thanks,
-TR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm inclined to agree with your assessment. The exhausting of the CT is the cost of placing the progress tokens, so anything triggering off of that exhaustion would resolve before the effect that is created by the exhausting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Eagle
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A similar question arises when Cave Torch is used to clear Branching Paths.

I would agree that it makes sense that the cost should chronologically precede the effect, but I'm not sure this is actually spelled out in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Jones
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do you resolve all of CT first then TP resolves?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The consensus (which I agree with) is:

- Exhaust CT
- Discard top Encounter Card. If enemy, add it to Staging (CT Forced effect)
- Make a Locate Test. (TP Forced effect)
- If you pass Locate Test, place 3 progress tokens on TP.

-TR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Tubarush wrote:
The consensus (which I agree with) is:

- Exhaust CT
- Discard top Encounter Card. If enemy, add it to Staging (CT Forced effect)
- Make a Locate Test. (TP Forced effect)
- If you pass Locate Test, place 3 progress tokens on TP.

-TR

very true

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick related question. What happens with cave torch if he draw deck is empty? I ruled nothing, since the discard pile doesn't get shuffled until the quest phase. However, this quest has many similar effects like lost - what happens there if there is no draw deck? Auto lost? (since you find no PASS!)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Iron
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
Just a quick related question. What happens with cave torch if he draw deck is empty? I ruled nothing, since the discard pile doesn't get shuffled until the quest phase. However, this quest has many similar effects like lost - what happens there if there is no draw deck? Auto lost? (since you find no PASS!)?

I agree with you. The encounter deck is only shuffled in the quest phase so nothing happens and if there is a the locate test you have automatically lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting twist as it's usually a blessing to have an empty encounter deck outside of the Quest phase. I played "Watcher in the Water" for the first time yesterday, and I had a few Tentacle enemies engaged with me when the deck was empty. It was nice being able to attack them with impunity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.