3 Posts

Taboo» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cocktail or Mocktail rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Rotch
msg tools
The word to be guessed was Cocktail

As a clue I used Mocktail - which is the non-alcoholic version of a cocktail.

Mocktail was not on the banned list.

Is usage of the word Mocktail going against the rules simply because it also contains the word - tail.

I think not. The word tail is not used in isolation and therefore not invalid as written in the rules.

"The giver may not say a part of a "taboo" word; for example, using "base" in "baseball" is taboo"

Also since the word cock & tail in isolation have nothing to do with what the word cocktail means in itself I feel the usage of tail as a secondary part of another non-compound word (word made by joining two words) is not taboo!

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Villwock
United States
Berea
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
The rules I have state, "No form or part of ANY word printed on the card may be given as a clue." Even if you have a different version, the rule you quoted - "The giver may not say part of the 'taboo' word." - doesn't say anything about whether the word was used in "isolation," whatever that means. Either way, I think the spirit of the rule is pretty clear.

Sadly, the rest of your justification doesn't hold up either; even though the origin of the word "cocktail" is slightly disputed, all of them have something to do with definitions or forms of the words "cock" and "tail." (And compound words are just words made up of two other words, so both "cocktail" and "mocktail" are compound words.)

Plus, your reasoning just sounds cheap.

But I'm sure you're still a delightful person and I'd happily play Taboo with you any time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Winston-salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slickrick wrote:
The word to be guessed was Cocktail

As a clue I used Mocktail - which is the non-alcoholic version of a cocktail.

Mocktail was not on the banned list.

Is usage of the word Mocktail going against the rules simply because it also contains the word - tail.

I think not. The word tail is not used in isolation and therefore not invalid as written in the rules.

"The giver may not say a part of a "taboo" word; for example, using "base" in "baseball" is taboo"

Also since the word cock & tail in isolation have nothing to do with what the word cocktail means in itself I feel the usage of tail as a secondary part of another non-compound word (word made by joining two words) is not taboo!

What do you think?

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.