Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know a bench is placed whenever someone makes a loop with the paths. My question is whether or not the following closed path would get a bench? We played that it didn't but I wasn't sure.

Loop in question:

There is an open path by the eagle jutting in, but there is still a closed loop all the way around that. So is this a loop or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting. Outside of a ruling by Corné, I would rule that to be a loop.

Obviously, the player has constructed a beautiful lake in the center of their zoo. The path from the eagle leads to the dock for the paddleboats. Such construction should be rewarded.

Imagination aside, the game too greatly rewards two-tile loops, as can be made with the eagle and penguin tile along side each other. Thus, it would be petty to deny a player a bench for contructing something like that with 4 or 5 tiles.

Plus, the lake has two huge fountains!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

NRBH, but I think this is a loop and gets a bench!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very creative and looks legal, but I would have to go with OP say it's not a loop. Just my view since it's not a tidy fully filled-in closed loop. Outside of being pretty cool, also not sure that is maximizing "stars" in the zoo by placing them that way. Assume that player wouldn't have won regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to see both sides of the debate.

A few things to note:
- The image in question was made using the images of tiles and was not the exact in game set-up, but similar.
- My 5 year old was the one who created this 'loop' and maximizing points wasn't exactly top priority for her. Although...
- She was kicking our butts and had the 'rich get richer' thing going for her. She ended up winning without the bench anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay - so the fact that none of the touching "stars" match is just a sample set-up. If she was able to match up stars as well doing that, very creative kid. My daughter routinely wins this game as well. If there is an animal theme involved in the game she stands a 10x more likely chance of winning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah - and if she is 5 I would have definitely given her the bench!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing to debate, here. It's right in the rules:

A closed path can enclose an empty space (without zoo tiles - see figure 6b).

It gets a Bench.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking the rulebook - novel idea. I haven't played for several years, so that's the risk of going off memory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corné van Moorsel
Netherlands
Maastricht
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:

It gets a Bench.

Precise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cwali wrote:
TVis wrote:

It gets a Bench.

Precise
The issue isn't with the 'hole' in the path, the issue is with the extra path sticking into the 'looped' area. But I'm assuming it still counts as a loop considering the rules don't exlude it. My daughter should have had 5 more points and really crushed us... as she did again today.

I think the fixed income variant might have to be used to give the rest of us a chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Congrats on your five year old playing this game effectively. Make sure that kid uses their powers for good. It's time for the "With great power there must also come—great responsibility!" speech!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RiffRaff14 wrote:
cwali wrote:
TVis wrote:

It gets a Bench.

Precise
The issue isn't with the 'hole' in the path, the issue is with the extra path sticking into the 'looped' area. But I'm assuming it still counts as a loop considering the rules don't exlude it.

The rules don't "include" it, either. I follow the reasoning that if it is not in the rules, it is not allowed. And the open path leading to the center of the loop just feels wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.