Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First off I will say that the only reason I brought this game is that I love the artwork of John Kovalic. If you also love his art then buy this game, it has some classics in it especially the "yeti" card and the card that gives the game its english title "My Dwarves Fly High!". The game itself has more than its artwork to reccomend it however.

The game consists of two decks of cards: one of creatures and the other of abilities and events. There are also wooden dobbers for keeping track of battle and found gold totals, a track to put the dobbers on, some good solid cardstock gold coins and five nicely chunky wooden dice.

Game play is simple and somewhat reminiscent of the munchkin games. (or least the two munchkin games I have played; munchkin and star munchkin) Players take one action on each of their turns, the four possible actions are:

1) Play a creature from their hand (a hand consists of five cards of any combination of the two decks)

2) Play an ability on a creature, this can be either a benefical one or negative card, abilities can be played on any creature or group of creatures in play

3) Play a battle card

4) Discard a card

After each player has taken an action he must refill his hand at the end of the his turn

At the central core of the game are battles, battles are fought in the world of "my dwarves fly" purely for money, for it is by being the first player to amass 15 gold coins you win the game; HUZZAH! as Igor would say. Battles are of varying size depending on the battle card played to start them, they range from the smallest of duels in which each player may bring only one creature to fight to the awe inspiring WAR OF ARRMAGEDDON! In which every player may bring up to five creatures.

Battles are fought purely on dierolling; each crature has a battle strength this is the number of dice he rolls for his combat total, a strong orc has three while a puny gnome but one, a mighty creature such as a dragon or titan might have four or even five! So each player rolls for each of his creatures and totals them all togetehr for his battle score the player whose cratures amass the largest score wins the battle and a set reward in gold, so obviously you want to roll high right? UUU,aaaHHH! Not neccesserily! For each one that a creature rolls he also finds a gold coin. However these gold coins can only be found should the player still have the largest battle total. The down side of winning battles however is that the stongest of the winning players creatures must be discarded after the battle.

These are the basest of rules, the game is while essentialy very simple enhanced by other rules: some creatures do not get on with others; orcs with dwarves being an obvious example and may cause them to leave when they are played, most of the more powerful individual or unique creatures have their own special abilities that affect how they fight in battles; the titan for example finds gold pieces on a roll of one as well as two on his battle dice, there is a large element of bluff in the post battle diplomacy phase in which players have the option to play an event card or not, event cards affect the outcome of battles in varying ways; allowing the player to add an additional creature to fight and increase his battle total or allowing a player to collect the gold his creatures found even ifn he did not win the battle. This may make the game sound complicated but I can assure you it isnt, and ifn that is the case then I am explaining it wrong. Almost everyone I have played this game with knows exactly what is going on after only one or at most two battles.

The game plays quickly and it is often whipped out as a prelude or finale game of the evening while waiting on people to show up or while some do not feel like leaving yet, it is completed in a short space of time, needs little room to set up and play and is fun, challenging and pretty to look at with a good dollop of that irripressible Kovalic humour. As you may be able to tell I like this game a lot and highly reccomend it. Ifn you enjoy Munchkin games I feel you will enjoy this game as well, Ifn you like Kovalic art you will enjoy this game, ifn you like games where you can play nasty things on your opponants or turn their armies in to pacafists you will like this game and ifn you dont take your game playing too seriously you will certainly like this game.

I hope this review prooves helpful to anyone reading it and that they can understand my typing. I had originally intended to keep it brief but it seems to have run on a bit longer than I expected. This is my first review I would be most thankful for feedback about ifn it is an O.K. review or not as I intend to write a few more for I need geek points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Gebauer
Germany
flag msg tools
Good review, but maybe you should add what you think are the pros and cons of this game and tell us your personal rating for this game.

i have only played it once. my impressions were:

pro:
+ simple rules: that's always a pro to me when it gets to card games, which i usually see as a time filler
+ humour: the card design and description are indeed funny
+ artwork: the artwork does a great job for making this game so funny

cons:
- game mechanism: when i first saw the cards i thought "haha very funny", but the game itself turned out to be rather boring to me.
- luck factor: dont misunderstand me - i usually never complain about luck in games. in my opinion luck is something that makes boardgames very interesting. i dont like to plan every turn in detail. luck is always good. but when we played "my drwarves fly" the luck factor seemed to be the determing element in the game. it's very hard to beat someone who has a few yeti cards, the giant and the dragon or whatsoever. the event cards turned out not to be powerful at all, since their functions were always "blocked/undone" (played the german version - dunno the english card's name) by some other player's event card.

since i have played this game only once, i cant give it a final rating.
but after my first match i would consider a 5 out of 10 as apropriate.
thanks to the artwork it has a certain flair, but in my opinion this is far away from beeing a good game.

greetings,
seb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Gebauer
Germany
flag msg tools
besides - what are those geek points good for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what geek points?

geek points in general?

you can use them to buy an avatar, or micro badges or a badge I think it is possible to use them as a sort of currency to buy things in the bazzar (although I do not know that for deffinate)

this was my 1st review, I have written a few others since then, but thankyou for the feedback, I like the game (which should probably be pretty clear from the review, I am a helper on the geek for the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.