BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: The Onion on Settlers of Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And by extension, boardgames in general.

It's probably about right, doesn't mean it's not fun though!

http://www.theonion.com/articles/man-putting-huge-amount-of-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in no way precious about people giving board gamers a ribbing, but I didn't find that article funny. Could very well just be me though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
This is a rehash of their own previous article "Man who enjoys thing told he's wrong", with society being replaced by the newspaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hardly an article and a poorly done one at that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I thought it was funny, but would have liked to have seen it fleshed out into a normal sized article. Lot that is ripe for the picking.

I'm like a less intense version of that guy. I play to de-stress and release pent up energy from the week and I play to game, not to socialize. I had a girl in my group say, after about 4 sessions "you know, I still don't know anything about you" to which I responded "and I don't know anything about you!" with an "I'm fine with that" implied. I play for the game, not for the people and if people get offended when they come to my gaming session playing my games that I provide and organize, then they're coming to the wrong place.

There I go, sounding like a jerk again. By "socialize", I mean talking and not paying attention to what's going on, contributing to needlessly increased play length and AP. I love the social aspect of boardgames but that's a byproduct of being transported by the game into another world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I play for the game, not for the people...

My experience unfortunately is that this is a common (dare I say prevalent) attitude at open game groups, which is ironic given that one of the oft cited virtues of board games is the social aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Wayne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xibxang wrote:
I'm in no way precious about people giving board gamers a ribbing, but I didn't find that article funny. Could very well just be me though.

I find most of the content on theOnion to be either side-splittingly funny or mind-numbingly dull. I felt this article to be a member of the latter group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
which is ironic given that one of the oft cited virtues of board games is the social aspect.

It's still a social activity even if you aren't spending a ton of time jabbering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

My experience unfortunately is that this is a common (dare I say prevalent) attitude at open game groups, which is ironic given that one of the oft cited virtues of board games is the social aspect.

I agree. If I didn't want a social experience I could just sit in front of a single player video game. I believe the issue is that board games offer the perfect venue to attract those who have an unrealized need to reinforce the ego by always winning. This is true of all social experiences involving people I guess. There will always be people that have a drive to constantly prove themselves within a social group. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to win but I'm much more happy to just be involved and have a good time with others. It's true on the other hand too that without the experience the game offers, well then it really wouldn't be very interesting would it? So you could say I play for the game as well as the people. I really don't think you can have one without the other. If you do, then you're just playing solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only tolerate you underlings while I am crushing you like a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Harvesting crops? Sounds like he's playing Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kimes

Fort Wayne
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was too short for any really funny content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are going to take the opportunity to satirize something, they should at least learn enough about it to do it right. There is no crop harvesting in Settlers, about which the faux article subject complains.

The article was obviously a quick toss-off, worth less than the time I've spent responding to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That article did nothing for me. Not to mention "harvesting crops"? Back to Agricola with you sir!

I play games for the social aspect, as well as the brain burn. If people don't want to actively participate in conversations when it's not their turn, they're generally shunned from the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The social side is interesting. Whenever I see the time a game is meant to play in here I mentally add about 50% to the play time because we chat, about the game and whatever.

I can't understand how people are getting through the games in the times claimed without total focus on the game.

Out of interest, those that do just play the game and none of the wider social side - do you like that other people do chat or do you wish everyone was just head down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brooks
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd much rather play board games with a table full of ultra-competitive personality donors than play video games with just about anyone you meet on Xbox LIVE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Yes chieftain?
badge
Let's ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
It should have been fleshed out as an article or just a headline. This one was rather dull and repetitive as it is. I like the idea, just the execution was lacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
It was probably one of those little quips they put in a tiny box at the bottom right or left of a page that contains some other much larger story. The Onion is a print newspaper thing first and foremost, and then they just dump all the content online.

It sort of loses context like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't get it. Obviously written by a closet shut-in who is dismissive of anything that isn't taught at pappy's knee. shake

Now, if it was about playing Farmville, heck, I would have called it well researched! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with everyone--seemed like a good idea but then forgot to be funny. How about "man finally figures out the rules to Magic Realm but then dies of starvation from forgetting to eat?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers be darned. I know a few gamers who put a lot of pressure on themselves when they lie on their backs!

Sometimes the Onion is funny, mostly not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffTimothy wrote:
I believe the issue is that board games offer the perfect venue to attract those who have an unrealized need to reinforce the ego by always winning.

Board games are to geeks what sports are to jocks: a way to compete. What's interesting to me is how much many of us who love board games want non-gamers to like what we like, so much so that we're constantly discussing "gateway games" and schemes to get people outside the hobby to the gaming table. Why is that? I haven't noticed this phenomena among people who for example love playing basketball or tennis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is neither funny nor unfunny, it's just stupid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JeffTimothy wrote:
ed95005 wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

I agree. If I didn't want a social experience I could just sit in front of a single player video game. I believe the issue is that board games offer the perfect venue to attract those who have an unrealized need to reinforce the ego by always winning. This is true of all social experiences involving people I guess. There will always be people that have a drive to constantly prove themselves within a social group. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to win but I'm much more happy to just be involved and have a good time with others. It's true on the other hand too that without the experience the game offers, well then it really wouldn't be very interesting would it? So you could say I play for the game as well as the people. I really don't think you can have one without the other. If you do, then you're just playing solitaire.

Except I don't mind losing. All I ask is that each player pays attention to the game and doesn't get distracted when GirlWhoComesJustToSocializeAndNotPlay starts talking about the Kardashians or whatever, killing the vibe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffTimothy wrote:
ed95005 wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

Unrealized?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.