Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How would Hama work with quick strike ? Would quick strike trigger his retrieve a card ability, and if so, can you retrieve the same quick strike card you just played ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick Strike says "Exhaust a character you control to immediately declare it as an attacker...," and Hama says "After Hama is declared as an attacker", so Quick Strike triggers his reaction.

However, I don't think you'll be able to retrieve the copy of the card used to trigger the attack because the rulebook says "An event card is played from a player’s hand, its text effects are resolved, and the card is then placed in its owner’s discard pile." (p9) The attack won't have been resolved (and thus the card not placed in the discard pile) when Hama's effect triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Corbin
United States
Tallahassee
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but with two copies, you could just make a loop. play one, retrieve the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Quick Strike says "Exhaust a character you control to immediately declare it as an attacker...," and Hama says "After Hama is declared as an attacker", so Quick Strike triggers his reaction.

However, I don't think you'll be able to retrieve the copy of the card used to trigger the attack because the rulebook says "An event card is played from a player’s hand, its text effects are resolved, and the card is then placed in its owner’s discard pile." (p9) The attack won't have been resolved (and thus the card not placed in the discard pile) when Hama's effect triggers.

So the card is not discarded immediately? I don't quite see it from the text quoted, what makes the card linger? Don't you resolve its text and discard it right away? Then Hama has just been declared and can trigger his response?

Official?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
So the card is not discarded immediately? I don't quite see it from the text quoted, what makes the card linger? Don't you resolve its text and discard it right away? Then Hama has just been declared and can trigger his response?

By a strict reading of the rulebook text (which has not always proven the right way to go in the past), the card is not discarded until after its effect has ended, and Hama's text triggers in the middle of the card effect. Quick Strike starts a complete combat round, and Hama's effect triggers during the first step of that combat, thus Quick Strike is still in the process of resolving.

jpraibis wrote:
Official?

This is just my guess. I'd be interested in an official answer as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Saloff
United States
Edinboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you!
badge
He's a card player, gambler, scoundrel. You'd like him.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Tony is right. That is how we resolve cards like that (and how many other card games handle it, though that can't necessarily be used as proof for this game). Where's our updated rulebook and FAQ already?

The best is still:

-Play Unseen Strike on Hama.
-Attack with Hama, which exhausts him and triggers his response.
-Use his response to grab Unseen Strike.
-Play Unseen Strike.
-Hama attacks with 9 Strength alone.
-Repeat every other battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quick Strike. I believe you now and will play it thus.

Unseen Strike. Yes, a nice one, I have played it so, you just need to keep the threat low enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Smith
United Kingdom
Pimlico
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all - its interesting how the game is struggling to cope with all these timing effects caused by news cards.

Makes you appreciate how slick something like MTG or Dominion is in the way they can handle timing issues like this relatively easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, MtG was kinda easier in timing issues although all those "interupt, instant, sorcery" effects were kinda lame, I much prefer "action, response." But I totally agree we would need a very thorough FAQ&A.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Gadgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpraibis wrote:
Yes, MtG was kinda easier in timing issues although all those "interupt, instant, sorcery" effects were kinda lame, I much prefer "action, response." But I totally agree we would need a very thorough FAQ&A.

I'm informed that they did away with interrupts, although I must admit playing Magic and having to tackle interlocking FIFO and LIFO queues was a good supplement when learning programming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lim
Malaysia
flag msg tools
Flamehearted wrote:
How would Hama work with quick strike ? Would quick strike trigger his retrieve a card ability, and if so, can you retrieve the same quick strike card you just played ?

I think you can retrieve the event card that you just played.

Quick strike-> resolved -> into discard pile -> Hama attack -> response -> return a Tactics event from your discard pile

Event cards are like "instant" spells in MTG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.