Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Edwards
United States
Grove City
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello. I am an enthusiastic new convert to the board gaming hobby. I am building my collection and am trying to acquire a great game in all the standard categories. I'm ready for an "area control" (if I even know what that means exactly) selection and am sensing that El Grande is the big name (no pun intended) that arguably dominates this niche. It seems to have stood the test of time but I'm wondering if there is a better option out there now as I'm not enthralled with the theme (though I do like historical ones) and I'm also picking up on the fact (?) that El Grande is not too much fun with two players. I play games primarily with just my wife but also with a "non-gaming" couple and my wife, and a rotating group of college students (so games typically need to be taught afresh). Consequently, if the game is too "heavy" or long it isn't going to fly. So, is El Grande a game that would probably work well or do I need to be looking elsewhere in the area-control genre?

I really appreicate anyone who takes the time to answer. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chung Chit Hang
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If i'm correct El Grande is the grandfather of area control game. It really is a great game with simple rules. However with 5 players it is a bit long, around 1.5-2 hrs.

Another great area control game would be rattus. It finishes in an hour and is great fun as well

A meatier area control game would be dominant species.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meeple Me
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played El Grande, but if you are looking for something a little more non-gamer friendly, Small World is likely the highest ranked, area-control board game for families.

Edit: Thanks to those who left feedback below. It seems I didn't have a accurate understanding of area-control - so I learned something today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
El Grande really is the best of its genre and is a great game.

Something more thematically rich, say Dominant Species, is likely to take much longer. And it in general is not a genre that works great for 2 players.

Get El Grande. I've had pretty good success teaching it to less serious gamers. No need to bother with the various expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite area control is Chaos in the Old World.

My favorite hybrid Area Control/Worker placement is Age of Empires III.

I vastly prefer both of these games to El Grande.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cyakobch wrote:
I've never played El Grande, but if you are looking for something a little more non-gamer friendly, Small World is likely the highest ranked, area-control board game for families.

Not an area control game in the sense that the term is generally used, which is to describe a vying for control of board spaces, not the serial conquest of them by one player or another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kimes

Fort Wayne
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evo (second edition) is my current favorite area control. Very simple plays in 90 minutes and fun theme. I think it's just as easy if not easier than El Grande. You won't go wrong with the classic El Grande but consider EVO as well you won't be dissapointed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timstellmach wrote:
cyakobch wrote:

Not an area control game in the sense that the term is generally used, which is to describe a vying for control of board spaces, not the serial conquest of them by one player or another.

Agreed. Someone wanting to play 'area control' is going to be disappointed by Small World. Not just because Small World is a bad game (though for my money it is - Vinci is far, far better), but because it is most definitely not 'area control' any more than Risk or Axis and Allies are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bigbadbanker wrote:
Evo (second edition) is my current favorite area control. Very simple plays in 90 minutes and fun theme. I think it's just as easy if not easier than El Grande. You won't go wrong with the classic El Grande but consider EVO as well you won't be dissapointed

Similarly, Evo is not area majority. It, like Small World, gives points for being the player to control each space. and is more like a wargame without the historicity. El Grande and the like allow multiple players in each region and are not fundamentally about bashing each other: points are awarded based on relative rank presence in each area.

I like Evo, but would not consider it in this discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My hierarchy for Area Majority (place pieces to the board and score by majorities-often 2nd and 3rd place number of pieces will score as well):

5P and best in class: El Grande
4P: Tikal
3P: San Marco
2P: Kahuna

honorable mention-scales great from 3-5p, has 2p variant (haven't played it so can't comment): China
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right now, I'm loving 1812: The Invasion of Canada. It looks dry but is actually very easy to learn. Rules can be explained in less than 5 minutes. Scales very well from 2-5 (right now, I prefer it with 2 though that may be because of the larger group I've played with) and....... with more than 2, you're automatically on teams as each side has multiple factions. So you can play couple against couple, men against women, or whatever.

It looks dry but is actually quite gripping. The board is beautiful as well.
http://www.gameshark.com/features/892/Cracked-LCD-236-1812-T...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
My personal preference woulid likely be Kreta, which does play well with 2. It's much like China, but also uses a role-selection mechanism, where each player has a set of roles each of which they must use once, before regaining the ability to play any of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Roy
United Kingdom
Sutton
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been quite a long time since I played El Grande but I remember not liking it much.

I'd suggest König von Siam instead. It's quicker, more streamlined and always (in my experience, anyway) leads to a good close game.

It's also highly recommended for two players (here on BoardGameGeek, I've only played three-player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Carolus Magnus is my personal favorite.
Kahuna is good two-player, along with Aton
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't tried it.

Haven't tried Rattus.

Think Smallworld is utter crap.

Liked Chaos in the old world (but have only played once.)

Own Dominant species.

I'd much rather buy CITOW than El Grande regardless.

Of course I think Warcraft III and most likely Starcraft II are better area control (well, not really, but they do what I want) games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I think it depends on what you mean by Area Control.

When I think of Area control, I think of a war game where you are trying to conquer more and more area.

El Grande is one of my favorite games but it's more about being a tactical opportunist than a strategic planner. While the points are scored by controlling an area, I'll freely give up an area over here if it means that I can earn more points over there. At it's core, it's about resource management and timing your actions, not really area control.

If you want something that I would call Area Control that still conforms to some euro-game standards, take a look at Shogun or Rheinlander.

If you want something grander in scale, consider War of the Ring or Twilight Imperium or A Game of Thrones
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
I think it depends on what you mean by Area Control.

When I think of Area control, I think of a war game where you are trying to conquer more and more area.

El Grande is one of my favorite games but it's more about being a tactical opportunist than a strategic planner. While the points are scored by controlling an area, I'll freely give up an area over here if it means that I can earn more points over there. At it's core, it's about resource management and timing your actions, not really area control.

If you want something that I would call Area Control that still conforms to some euro-game standards, take a look at Shogun or Rheinlander.

If you want something grander in scale, consider War of the Ring or Twilight Imperium or A Game of Thrones

You can't redefine what Area Control means though (or, rather, you CAN, but you'll cause confusion among others). Within gaming, area control has an accepted definition, and conquest-style games like war games are NOT in the definition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davido wrote:
My hierarchy for Area Majority (place pieces to the board and score by majorities-often 2nd and 3rd place number of pieces will score as well):

5P and best in class: El Grande
4P: Tikal
3P: San Marco
2P: Kahuna

honorable mention-scales great from 3-5p, has 2p variant (haven't played it so can't comment): China

I prefer Mexica for four player, but Tikal is a really good game, as well.

San Marco IS a great three player area control, too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're primarily playing two player, you might want to consider that not all game types work well with all player counts.

Area Majority is definitely one of those.

Dominant Species for my money, is the best Area Majority game for 2 players. That said, it is heavy. There aren't a ton of rules, and the rulebook is very clear. However, the game itself is incredibly deep and nuanced, and can come off as just chaotic to inexperienced gamers. So, with that in mind, despite my deep love of it, I simply can't recommend it as a starting point.

Small World isn't an Area Majority in the traditional sense, as two forces can not occupy the same place at the same time, however, it does capture some of that flavour, and has a light rule set and very charming theme. It also has beautiful components, and plays extremely well with 2.

I would take a look at it, even though it does not strictly meet your criteria.

That said, when it comes to two player games, there are a number of geek lists on here that have a ton of recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
Buena Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at Belfort? Technically, that's an "area-majority" game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For two players, consider Sun Tzu. It's the quintessential treatment for 2 players. My wife didn't like it so I ended up getting rid of it, but it does actually make area majority work, and work well, for only 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love El Grande, and is definitely the founding father of area control games. Honorable mention for me goes to Wongar. A lot of people don't care for the theme, but I mostly care about the mechanics, and I think Wongar is great because when scoring happens, there are multiple things that score. You have to use the variant, however. The regular rules aren't as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO Yes, El Grande is the choice for area control as long as you have 4-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For a nice area control game that's a little on the lighter side, may I suggest Mission: Red Planet? Since you're looking for something that'll work well with a non-gamer couple, I think this one might be just the ticket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PK WADDLE
United States
Austin
texAS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My simple response and 2 cents is YES.. I do think El Grande is THE Area Control Masterpiece. I also think for how much depth it has it's not ALL that uber complex to explain perhaps even to non-gamers/gateway gamers. Also my 2 cents to unfort. disagree with some of the above, I think Kahuna is lightly entertaining but is luck-based chaos-- it just seems to me it all depends on who gets whatever cards when they come up that there is not a great deal of processed decision making, but YMMV. If you are looking for something perhaps even deeper, City Tycoon seems to mix Alahambra, 7 Wonders and Area Control mechanics all together for a relatively successful mash-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.