Recommend
51 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: U.S. Army Green Books rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cool [+] [View All]
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
This has free downloadable PDFs of the entire series.

http://www.history.army.mil//html/bookshelves/collect/usaww2...
32 
 Thumb up
8.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
This has free downloadable PDFs of the entire series.

http://www.history.army.mil//html/bookshelves/collect/usaww2...


What a fantastic resource!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
If you back up one, there are far more resources than just the green books on that website:

http://www.history.army.mil//html/bookshelves/collect/collec...

My fav has to be the small unit actions series, particularly the AAR on Singling:

http://www.history.army.mil//books/wwii/smallunit/smallunit-...
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I love these books. They are so well written and by the most professional and scholarly historians. I've been perusing them for 30 years now. And, back then I fantasized about owning a complete set. PDFs were not even in my imagination.

I second the recommendation for the CMH as a fantastic resource.

There's an analagous opus for the Navy as well but I haven't as yet taken a look.
.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
The Canadian official histories are at:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/oh-ho/index-eng....

Official Canadian lineages:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/ol-lo/index-eng....

Canadian reports series:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/rep-rap/index-en...

Tens of thousands of pages by professional Canadian military historians in pdf form. Use the links in the left menu bar to find other resources as well.

8 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corporal Dave
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on what operation you are interested in, you can find scans of original documents (staff reports, commanding general reports, logistics reports, etc.) at:

http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/search/collection/p4013coll8/sea...

I can't find them any longer but you used to be able to access actual reports by infantry unit commanding officers on the Fort Benning website. I bet one of those possessed of a greater Geek Power than I could find them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Does anyone know if the UK has a similar site ?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even further, some PDFs seem to be linked from elsewhere.

This link, http://www.apd.army.mil/, contains "all Army Publications and Forms" among other things.

Gonna be a busy weekend.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Does anyone know if the UK has a similar site ?


The official histories of the UK were written from an all-encompassing perspective. The Army didn't have its own history, it was wrapped up with political history, as well as that of the other three services. The Official History of the Second World War in its various volumes has been reprinted and is, as far as I know, only available in hard copy. The reprints that I have of the Normandy and NW Europe campaign volumes are not well done, in that the colour maps are not reprinted in colour.

I stand to be corrected; if they are available online from an official source, I would be most interested.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read large portions of these books way back in my graduate school days (as a way of relaxing in between sessions of working on my thesis.) I also read large sections of the US Navy books, and of the British WWI books.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Mallet wrote:
Does anyone know if the UK has a similar site ?


The official histories of the UK were written from an all-encompassing perspective. The Army didn't have its own history, it was wrapped up with political history, as well as that of the other three services. The Official History of the Second World War in its various volumes has been reprinted and is, as far as I know, only available in hard copy. The reprints that I have of the Normandy and NW Europe campaign volumes are not well done, in that the colour maps are not reprinted in colour.

I stand to be corrected; if they are available online from an official source, I would be most interested.


Thanks !

Actually, I just found this:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/index.html

They presently seem to be transitioning gradually some of these documents towards the internet.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The USMC also has a pretty large selection available (of books) -- USMC History Section or something similar would be what you want to do a search for. I came across it about 6 months ago- and haven't had time to sort things out.

These books (the Green ones) and any of the official histories (FYI Australia has sets for WWI and WWII available at the Australian War Memorial site (although in their 'wisdom' each individual chapter is its own pdf file -makes it kind of a pain to download for offline viewing) --- I like the sourcing for graphics work (nothing like public domain images for good material ).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:
Michael Dorosh wrote:
Mallet wrote:
Does anyone know if the UK has a similar site ?


The official histories of the UK were written from an all-encompassing perspective. The Army didn't have its own history, it was wrapped up with political history, as well as that of the other three services. The Official History of the Second World War in its various volumes has been reprinted and is, as far as I know, only available in hard copy. The reprints that I have of the Normandy and NW Europe campaign volumes are not well done, in that the colour maps are not reprinted in colour.

I stand to be corrected; if they are available online from an official source, I would be most interested.


Thanks !

Actually, I just found this:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/UK/index.html

They presently seem to be transitioning gradually some of these documents towards the internet.



For about the last 10 years or so. whistle I wouldn't hold your breath on the British ones.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info -- always wanted to read these! Could be my first e-book reading experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Billyboy!!

I'm a lucky owner of some Green Books (European Front) ... my collection:



F.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've actually got two of these in hard copy: Seizure of the Gilberts And Marshalls and Campaign In The Marianas. I picked them up cheap in a second-hand bookstore in Durham, NC while visiting family in Raleigh. I didn't realise they were part of such a large series (i.e, beyond the Pacific War. I wil definitely be perusing these at some length! thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.