Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was talking to another ex teacher about this and I mentioned that I had collected a number of games which were very suitable for helping teach a variety of subjects. Problem is I was a secondary school teacher and I felt really out of my depth with her return question...

can anyone recommend games on Literacy and/or Social Development games for a 6 year old

I kinda believe myself that social development can be taught by ALL games, purely by the nature that games involve interaction with the other people you are playing against. As opposed to computer games

I would suggest just silly games of for instance 'who can come up with the most words that rhyme with ________', this ones neat and could be done as a family boys vs girls

I would have thought a 6 year old would be too young for taboo or balderdash unless you limit the vocabulary you use within it. Mind you same goes for the game above

The 2 word game is always fun; everyone just adds 2 words to a story and you have to see where the story goes.

Or another which I used to play with my mum and brother involves 2 players and a referee; the two players both have a story ending which must be reached and they must continue the story from the other person... every minute the story teller changes over. This is seriously good fun!

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaucharwen 30
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a teacher but have a grandson that age. A few thoughts that hopefully might help, depending upon the base level of literacy for the 6-year-old/s.

Boggle Jr. - letter recognition, word recognition. However some 6 year olds would find the game itself too boring. We ended up playing it as a racing game - the first to grab all the letters for his/her words.

Boggle - mainstream edition - I think this would be much better for 6 year olds in a classroom to play together, rather than in a family where literacy and skills can be so widely different.

Card games with words on each card, eg Sleeping Queens, Frog Juice. There is not a great deal of reading but it is a great deal of fun!

We've also found that the 6 year old will enthusiastically read the rules for any game he thinks looks interesting! So reading the rules to the class/group might be a great thing to incorporate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have long loved Tall Stories as a KS1 game. There's a guy on the geek who has also done a kind of dice version and I took the idea and created some software based on it: http://www.marshal.co.uk/storyteller/index.htm

Grumbs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaucharwen 30
Australia
St Ives
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grumbletweezer wrote:
I have long loved Tall Stories as a KS1 game. There's a guy on the geek who has also done a kind of dice version and I took the idea and created some software based on it: http://www.marshal.co.uk/storyteller/index.htm

Grumbs

Ah, that's reminded me of another great story telling game for primary school age - Rory's Story Cubes, expanded by Rory's Story Cubes: Actions and recently Rory's Story Cubes: Voyages. Perhaps that's the dice version you are thinking of. It's a wonderful game for creative language and also for children who might otherwise be a bit too shy to invent stories in a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Staines
United Kingdom
Grimsby
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right brilliant, thanks guys. You have been most helpful. I shall forward her on this link

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.