Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lena Welch
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played NSDM at Origins now a number of times. From playing I have learned more about history, politics, and human nature than I would have ever predicted. I tried out NSDM because in middle school I had an opportunity to do other simulations. I participated in a weeklong murder investigation, a mock jury, a culture shock simulation, and a moon base "luna base" sim game. I love all of them.

I find that simulations have real educational power. I am working on my middle grades science and language arts teaching certification. I am wondering if anyone knows some great resources for science sims that are appropriate for middle grades. I would love to be able to share my experiences with my students. The problem is that most of the above are more related to social studies than science.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk: // Monk's Music // Alone in San Francisco // Underground // Plays Duke Ellington // Brilliant Corners // Thelonious Monk-Sonny Rollins
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you look at designer Phil Ecklund's games. High Frontier is probably more complex than you're looking for, but Origins: How We Became Human or Bios: Megafauna might work. Some of the older titles, like American Megafauna or Insecta would be cool if you could find copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Sphere wrote:
I'd suggest you look at designer Phil Ecklund's games. High Frontier is probably more complex than you're looking for, but Origins: How We Became Human or Bios: Megafauna might work. Some of the older titles, like American Megafauna or Insecta would be cool if you could find copies.

Seconded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gallant
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The New Science isn't out yet, but looks far more appropriate for that age level than High Frontier (very difficult rules). Check it out here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/114667/the-new-scienc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lena Welch
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. It looks like the Columbus Area Boardgaming Society has a number of the listed games. The one that isn't published yet really does intrigue me. I will be checking stuff out from CABS to see how they play and if I find myself learning things.

So many games are fun and sort of educational or are strictly educational and not fun. I want to find stuff that is both. NSDM is mostly LARP but meets both those qualifications. I really want some science games.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.